PDA

View Full Version : How frequently does your game fall apart?

ferreira
06-03-2005, 09:43 AM
How many times a year and for how long does your game fall apart, I mean completely lose it?
It happens to mean ever three to for months and lasts between three and six sessions (practice/playing). Late last week I began losing my forehand, started recovering it then lost my serve, and then lost it all, completely. I looked like a beginner. At the end of the session today my serve and forehand seemed to be sloowly creeping back in.
My question: WHY does this happen? Any neuroscientists or sports psychologists out there?

TwistServe
06-03-2005, 09:46 AM
My forehands and backhands used to have off days all the time but I've been playing so much lately, I rarely have a bad groundstroke day.. Maybe once a month now..

My serve on the other hand can fall apart pretty fast. I've got a great serve but sometimes I get in a slump and start double faulting too often.. Sometimes as much as 2 times per game.. thats 2 free points! I think eventually it'll get to the point like the groundstrokes.. fewer and fewer off days.

gifted_shotmaker
06-03-2005, 09:57 AM
My game is basically either I have a bad day, normal day, or good day. From the start, I can feel what kind of day I am going to have. When I have bad day, there is usually still a little something in my game that helps me out a bit. A good day happens when everything that I expect to happen happens. A normal day, well, is just normal. I lost count of how frequent I have which days though.

Jonnyf
06-03-2005, 10:28 AM
im taken up softball *cry**cry* maybe theres a tt.softball-warehouse.com

kevhen
06-03-2005, 11:15 AM
I would say something like 30% great days, 60% normal days, and 10% bad days. Serve and groundstrokes are almost always there. Volley is hit and miss. Emotions and movement are usually there but sometimes need a bit of warmup to get the wheels moving and sometimes need a little kick start to get mentally into the match if it's very close or I start out behind. Even when I lose I usually feel like I played ok, but my opponent was better than me, or that I just need to work on a few areas and can maybe beat them next time with better focus. I try to avoid the "bad day" mentality. Also I avoid caffeine and large meals before playing and try to get alot of balls back early in the match to get my consistency up before hitting for winners.

Jonnyf
06-03-2005, 11:52 AM
i try to avoid the i'm a crap tennis player thing i just get killed in matches for my club

ferreira
06-03-2005, 01:47 PM
My serve on the other hand can fall apart pretty fast. I've got a great serve but sometimes I get in a slump and start double faulting too often.. Sometimes as much as 2 times per game.. thats 2 free points! I think eventually it'll get to the point like the groundstrokes.. fewer and fewer off days.
What a relief :) .I mean, at 4.0 I thought I was not supposed to be double faulting any more. I've got a good serve too, but man has it been lousy these days!! When on, I get quite a few free points and great volley situations. Just like in your case, it is less stable than groundstrokes and volleys. Volleys actually seldom go downhill.

ferreira
06-03-2005, 01:50 PM
im taken up softball *cry**cry* maybe theres a tt.softball-warehouse.com
Softball in Scotland? In Scotland I'd resort to a bottle of fine Scotch:) .

Jonnyf
06-03-2005, 01:51 PM
dude im 13

ferreira
06-03-2005, 01:55 PM
dude im 13
Rephrasing:
Softball in Scotland? If I were Jonnyf in Scotland, I'd resort to the fine game of Hopscotch (good for footwork:))!

Return_Ace
06-03-2005, 01:59 PM
you know what i think i'd still resort to the scotch btw i get absolutely crap if i dnt play for at least 1.5-2 weeks. which considering the amount of Half-terms and holidays i have it kinda amounts to a lot so over six times it is for me:)

Jonnyf
06-03-2005, 02:01 PM
yeah i h8 it when i don't gt 2 play

Return_Ace
06-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Ahhhh thats when you resort to the powers of alcohol :) lol. but didn't marat say that he shouldn't have had that champagne to celebrate his bday b4 the final of the oz open? and look what happened he killed roger federer! (not literally but you know what i mean)

FedererUberAlles
06-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Every other friggin' day.

Ruckus
06-18-2005, 04:17 AM
Every few weeks one whole part of my game will fall apart... its usually functional and I can still win points, but I think I look like and feel like a wimbeldon champion that was recently in a car accident and had both of their arms amputated and I am playing with prostetic arms.

Cheers!

FREDDY
06-18-2005, 09:10 PM
im not sure i havent been playing for a year, but damn you should see me. hahaha. yo soy serio.

ATXtennisaddict
06-18-2005, 09:34 PM
I fell apart in almost every way today.

ShooterMcMarco
06-18-2005, 10:08 PM
for me, the quality of my game varies directly with the amount of time i get to warm up. this morning when i played in a summer league match(doubles), after the first set ended was when i told my opponents that i was warmed up. they both chuckled :) i played terribly in the first set double nearly double faulting an entire game. they were good players so that didnt help either.

theace21
06-19-2005, 08:34 AM
I have been playing way to long to have my game fall apart. Some days, I miss a few forehands I shouldn't, or I miss more first serves...Something usually works, if you give it time, and don't get so fustrated that you lose it up top...

SageOfDeath
06-19-2005, 09:10 AM
my serves used to fall apart but now they are really consistant..... weak as heck but better than double faults. If your game falls apart it might be because that you are forgetting something in the mechanics of your stroke. As small as it may be, it could be very important and cause you some trouble.

thejerk
06-19-2005, 09:25 AM
It usually takes me a set and a half to warm up because I was drinking coffee before I went out. Once the coffee wears off, i can try to come back. It is more interesting that way anyhow.

GOOOOOGA
06-19-2005, 12:24 PM
if i dont touch a racquet for more than a week, my game falls apart.

there's at least two or three times a month where im not hitting the ball cleanly and my timing is completely off.

Grimjack
06-19-2005, 02:38 PM
I have been playing way to long to have my game fall apart.

This is about where I am. I've been playing a pretty simplistic game of baseline tennis (with a minor detour to try my hand at all-courting several years ago, which I quickly gave up) for about 20 years (I think?) now. It's not going to wow anybody, but it doesn't break down anymore, either. The days when I lost to pushers who would wait till I made an unforced error are long gone.

I know I'll never get to 5.5. I also know I'll never slide back to 4.0. (Unless I take up S&V, in which case I could revert back that far TODAY.) What keeps me from getting to 5.5 and beyond is about half physical limitation and about half time limitation. And that's okay.

When I start to backslide (read: age), I'll up the juice on my racquet. When I can't stay on the court with 20-something 4.5/5.0'ers any more, I'll hang 'em up and become really bad at golf or bowling or something.

Pushmaster
06-19-2005, 05:47 PM
Everybody has off days myself included, but it's pretty rare that my game falls completely apart. Although I admit being a slow starter, it usually takes a set for me to get loose and get my timing down 100%. The guy I played against today is a good example of my usual slow start, lost the 1st set 1-6, but returned the favor in the 2nd 6-1, and sqeaked out the 3rd 7-5 (was down 2-5).

I guess the moral of the story is, it's better to start slow than to finish slow.