PDA

View Full Version : Whats The Right Thing To Do???

larry10s
10-10-2010, 04:05 AM
yesterday im recieving
first serve out
second serve let.
server looks at me needs a ball
i motion there is a (the third ball) ball right behind him at the fence. he sorta gives me a look and goes to get the ball
my partner says take 2 serves (sociable match)
was i wrong to not go to the fence and get a ball for him from my side???
in a match what is proper protocol???

Kyle7286
10-10-2010, 04:13 AM
?? This shouldn't be an issue.. whoever is closer to the ball should pick it up.
Common Sense.. there's no ettiquete here.

tennytive
10-10-2010, 04:35 AM
Usually it's good to have all balls on the server's side, two for him and let his partner hold the third. That way you don't have to chase any until the point ends.

On a let I would presume you could have hit the ball back or caught it and then returned it to him. If not, and the ball behind him was closer than the one behind you, then he really shouldn't have complained. Plus you gave him first serve which more than made up for it.

Some people I play with go and chase the ball on the next court between my first and second serve. 10 or 15 seconds go by and then it's "second serve".

:?

michael_1265
10-10-2010, 05:04 AM
yesterday im recieving
first serve out
second serve let.
i motion there is a (the third ball) ball right behind him at the fence. he sorta gives me a look and goes to get the ball

This is an issue that usually only "doubles only" players have. Some of them get sooo sensitive about having to reset themselves prior to hitting a second serve. In singles, there should be no expectation of this luxury. Buck up, I say. I make a habit of staying out of a rigid regimen just for that reason. It's an achilles heel that can be used by an opponent to "game" you on a big point.

tennis tom
10-10-2010, 06:10 AM
In a real match, a sanctioned tournament, the server should have all three balls because the balls change characteristics after about four games. Keep one ball in the left pocket (righties) and keep the third behind you at the fence. Don't keep two balls in the same pocket because one will fall out. Don't keep a ball in each pocket because that looks really un-cool and defeats the entire purpose of playing the game.

In rec/club play anything goes, suspend all rules of logic and do what ever it takes to get the match over with and get to the bar, or you'll be very frustrated by the vast clueless.

The dufus who gave you "the look" is the same guy who doesn't bring balls, leaves the gate open after themselves, expects everyone to keep track of the score for them, was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, had servants pick up the balls for them in their youth, and never offers to buy drinks. Just yell loudly so everyone can hear, "There's a ball right behind you, the ball boys must have the day off today".

dafox
10-10-2010, 06:20 AM
^^^^^ Lol Lol

Cindysphinx
10-10-2010, 07:11 AM
I'd go get the ball behind me and send it to the server. I would do this in a normal, deliberate way and then hold up my hand until I am ready to receive. I wouldn't stall, and I wouldn't rush.

In a league match, I wouldn't give two serves because it was server's decision to leave the extra ball by the fence. In a social match, who cares?

Devilito
10-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Whats The Right Thing To Do???

Hit a winner return off his next serve then stare at your partner like you're ****ed and don't know wtf he was thinking. At least that is what i would do

OrangePower
10-10-2010, 10:00 AM
yesterday im recieving
first serve out
second serve let.

If I have it right, in your case the server started with all three balls on his side of the court - two in hand/pocket, and one by the fence. So in this case, you have no obligation to retrieve the ball following the let. The server should know where the 3rd ball is - his decision whether to have his partner hold it, or leave it along the fence, but either way he is responsible should he need to use it.

Having said all that, when there is a let, I will try trap/capture the ball (usually following a let you can do this), and I will offer to give it back to the server.
If for some reason the let serve ball goes by me and the server isn't making a move to get the third ball that is on his side, I will go get the let ball and send it over. No big deal.

BUT: I don't offer the server to take 2 serves in this situation, since it is really his responsibility to have had the third ball close at hand to begin with.

EDIT: I should add that I think people ask for / give 2 serves way more often than necessary. I mean come on, we should be able to step up to the line and hit a second serve - and if not, well that's something that's easy to practice. I think 2 serves should be given only if there is a *major* delay between serves and if that delay is not the fault of the server (or could have been prevented by the server).

HunterST
10-10-2010, 11:15 AM
The people I play with NEVER offer me a first serve. Plenty of times I'll hit a first serve, be getting ready to hit my second and then I'll hear "HOLD IT!" a ball will have rolled behind the reciever's foot. They then move the ball and it is assumed that it's my second serve!

It makes me angry every times something like that happens, but I feel weird demanding a first serve. Oh well, good to learn to get the serve in under pressure I guess.

sphinx780
10-10-2010, 11:48 AM
The server should know where the third ball is...as well I'd probably go get the other one while he is getting the third to keep from wasting time...just personal pref, I don't think you should have been expected to get it.

Unless it's a competitive match I don't take the first serve if given...helps me work on mental strength to mkae sure I can hit those when I really need to.

larry10s
10-10-2010, 04:20 PM
thanks for all the replies
my gist is the server who had 3 balls on his side should have gotten his own 3rd ball with no attitude,
and did not deserve a 1st serve

AELTC
10-10-2010, 06:31 PM
The code states:
23. Serverís request for third ball. When a Server requests three balls, the Receiver shall comply when the third ball is readily available. Distant balls shall be retrieved at the end of a game.

Since the ball that the OP is talking about is behind him, in my opinion, it is readily available and the OP should comply with the Server's request.

The people I play with NEVER offer me a first serve. Plenty of times I'll hit a first serve, be getting ready to hit my second and then I'll hear "HOLD IT!" a ball will have rolled behind the reciever's foot. They then move the ball and it is assumed that it's my second serve!

It makes me angry every times something like that happens, but I feel weird demanding a first serve. Oh well, good to learn to get the serve in under pressure I guess.

From the Rules of Tennis:
USTA Comment 20.1: Before returning the second serve, may the receiver clear a ball from a first service fault that has rebounded onto the playing area? Yes.

So a receiver does have a right to clear a ball from a 1st service fault, and according to a USTA comment, and the server should not feel entitled to a let:

USTA Comment 23.3: What happens when a ball from an adjacent court rolls on the court between the first and second serves? The time it takes to clear an intruding ball between the first and second serves is not considered sufficient time to warrant the server receiving two serves unless this time is so prolonged as to constitute an interruption. The receiver is the judge of whether the delay is sufficiently prolonged to justify giving the server two serves.

I rarely give a let between a first and second serve.

Steady Eddy
10-10-2010, 08:50 PM

It makes me angry every times something like that happens, but I feel weird demanding a first serve. Oh well, good to learn to get the serve in under pressure I guess.Well, they're losers for being like that. The point it you should want to face the opponents first serve and not be hoping to collect on a double fault. ("Oh yay! He double faulted, that's a point for me!").

As to the OP's original question...is there a rule for everything? Can't anything be left to common sense? Somebody needs to stroll over and pick up a ball. Is that a big deal? I'm hoping there isn't an established "right thing to do".