PDA

View Full Version : Where to Place Lead Tape?

DashaandSafin
06-03-2005, 12:33 PM
Does anybody have suggestions as to where i should put lead tape on my racquet? I am a big hitter using the RD Ti-80 and i want more stablility and control....not power. So how much lead tape should i put on and where to maximize my strenths without hitting the balls out all the time?
Thanks for your comments/suggestions :p

TwistServe
06-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Stability and control suggest you place the tape in an area that helps the racquet stay head light. By the bottom somewhere is good.

Gaines Hillix
06-03-2005, 01:46 PM
Does anybody have suggestions as to where i should put lead tape on my racquet? I am a big hitter using the RD Ti-80 and i want more stablility and control....not power. So how much lead tape should i put on and where to maximize my strenths without hitting the balls out all the time?
Thanks for your comments/suggestions :p

A good starting point is to put 2 grams of lead tape on each side at 3/9 o'clock offset by 4 grams added under the grip around the 10cm mark from the butt end of the racquet. That will keep the balance point roughly the same. If you don't care that it's more head heavy just add the weight at 3/9 and add more or take some away until you find something that works for you.

DashaandSafin
06-03-2005, 02:12 PM
How do i put the lead tape under the handle? Isnt that hard making me take the handel apart? Or do i just slap it on and then put my overgrip over it?

Gaines Hillix
06-03-2005, 03:08 PM
How do i put the lead tape under the handle? Isnt that hard making me take the handel apart? Or do i just slap it on and then put my overgrip over it?

You need to unwrap the grip that came on the frame and put the lead tape on the bare handle running up and down the bevels, then reapply the grip. If you go to the main TW home page under the learning center link and look under "customize a racquet" there's info in there about how to do this.

Richie Rich
06-03-2005, 03:12 PM
although Gaines' way is correct i put lead on the handle over the grip and then wrap the overgrip on top of the lead. i don't feel the lead underneath. depnds on how sensative your hands are.

tricky nicky
06-03-2005, 03:16 PM
however much you put on.

remember to keep it head light.

regards,

tricky.

Michelangelo
06-03-2005, 04:06 PM
Where to place the lead tape... hard to say without actually measuring your racket. I've just got into a funny situation: I constantly (thoughtout 10 hours of play) felt one of my nSix-One Tour 90 was a bit more headlight than the other, thus I brought both of them to a tennis store and told the guy I needed to customize the "more headheavy" one to match the other. However, when I got them back, the guy actually told me that he put 1-inch lead tape each at 2- and 10-o'clock positions of the "headheavy" one to make them match. I have nothing to say since he's been in that store for years and pretty experienced. Also if he's wrong, at least I should also doubt the electronic scale there is wrong as well...

sinxr8088
06-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Adding Lead tape to the front of the racquet increases swing speed, while adding it to the sides supports the stability of your shots. Adding tape to the handle is to help balance the changes you made when adding the tape to the head. If you want to change your racquets balance then do not put tape on the handle. If you just want to increase swing speed and stability but not change the balance of your racquet, then counter balance what you've done by adding tape to the handle.