PDA

View Full Version : My forehand fell apart again!!!!

Arafel
06-03-2005, 12:46 PM
Today I was playing in the first round of a tournament, and once again under match conditions my forehand deserted me. It's the one stroke that no matter how hard I work it in practice, if I get tight it just goes south. I don't understand it. I can clobber it in practice. With the ball machine yesterday I was forcing myself to hit 20 in a row. Today in warmup I tried to hit with heavy topsin and fenced a couple. My confidence left and any time I went to hit a forehand I could feel myself tighten up and hit the ball into the net or 5 feet long.

HELP!!!!!! Any tips on how to conquer this defect in my game. It's absolutely killing me in any comps I play in.

panatta
06-03-2005, 01:47 PM
Try to blow while you're hitting the ball with your forehand. If you watch pro's photos you can often see that they are blowing while hitting. To blow helps to relax the muscles and find fluidity.. just as the sprinters do: relax muscles takes to velocity and fluidity. Blow to avoid tighting.
If your balls go 5 feet long, try to hit 10 cm back. I find it helps. Ciao!

BigbangerNYC
06-08-2005, 05:08 AM
Try to blow while you're hitting the ball with your forehand. If you watch pro's photos you can often see that they are blowing while hitting. To blow helps to relax the muscles and find fluidity.. just as the sprinters do: relax muscles takes to velocity and fluidity. Blow to avoid tighting.
If your balls go 5 feet long, try to hit 10 cm back. I find it helps. Ciao!

Good post--- Also, you stated yourself. Your problem is being too "tight." this is a common problem for lots of players.

The core problem with not being to relax is anxiety caused by thinking too much (about points, the outcome of the match, the position of the opponent during the shot, the placement of the ball, etc.... the list goes on and on).

To rid of this anxiety I have one advice for you: FOCUS and devote all your attention to the Ball. Have you ever wonder why some people sail an easy "sitting-duck" ball long time and again? The answer is anxiety to put the ball away get a strong hold of them, then they tighten up and often look at where their opponent is (rather than the ball itself) so that they can put the ball way from him (or so they think), and then guess what? The ball will have an argument with the back fence or the net!!!!!

In sum, focusing on the ball will force you to NOT think of and being distracted by other elements. That's what being "in the zone," as the pros would put it, is all about.