PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about USTA tourneys

Winky
10-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Please excuse my extreme ignorance, but I asked a question about leagues a few days ago and now I'm wondering about tournaments, specifically USTA ones.

Anybody here play in them? What are they like? How do they differ from leagues? Do you just sign up and you're in, or do you need to qualify in some way? Are there refs or do people call their own lines?

cknobman
10-11-2010, 11:14 AM
I play them and they are a lot of fun.

Here is my breakdown of a tournament (at least all the ones I have played).
Usually 3-4 days long
Anyone that registers can play (except for special eoy championships which requires you to be ranked in the top 10)
Singles usually has a consolation bracket (means if you loose first round you go to the losers bracket and get a chance to win that).
Doubles usually do not have consolation bracket (there are a few in my area that do have them but it is not the norm)
Doubles requires two of the same level players to play together (ex: both are 3.5 level).
More often than not you get a full 3 sets instead of coman 3rd set tiebreak (this is entirely up to tournament director and USTA officials though)
Each tournament costs money. Singles and doubles are separate fees. Can be anywhere from $25-$35 each.
Weather related delays can cause cancellations or changes to game format, and you dont get refunds. Ive played in tournaments where had to resort to an 8 game pro-set style match. Tournament dates are fixed and they will change/cancel whatever they have to in order to complete the tournament on time.
You call your own lines, though there are "roaming" USTA officials that can and will stop to officiate the matches. They also come in handy for disputes and problems.
There are sanctioned and non-sanctioned tournaments. Wining rounds in a sanctioned tournaments awards you ranking points that counts towards your overall sectional ranking at the specific level your playing in.
Tournaments are a great place to play new people that you wont find in league play.There are a thousand other things I could list but this is what came to mind quickly.

Winky
10-11-2010, 01:15 PM
thanks for spending the time typing that. They seem like they would be fun and more "official" than flex leagues.

cknobman
10-11-2010, 01:30 PM
No problemo. I highly suggest if you have the time to try out a few tournaments.

Something is just fun about gearing up for a weekend full of tennis (at least if you keep winning). Youll find out really fast just how fit you are and how much endurance you have plus youll find out how your game matches up to new people.

There is a certain level of excitement I get out of knowing that there is a defined winner and the pressure of having to win match after match. In a league you dont really get that since it is spread out over several months.

treo
10-13-2010, 09:10 PM
The main reason I don't like USTA tournaments is you usually have to play 2 and sometimes even 3 matches a day. If it is hot and you are winning 3-setters, you can be exhausted by the next round. Even pros don't have to play multiple matches a day. Often it is the fittest players who win the finals, not the ones with the best strokes.

kimbahpnam
10-13-2010, 09:55 PM
The main reason I don't like USTA tournaments is you usually have to play 2 and sometimes even 3 matches a day. If it is hot and you are winning 3-setters, you can be exhausted by the next round. Even pros don't have to play multiple matches a day. Often it is the fittest players who win the finals, not the ones with the best strokes.

that's part of the game man. you can't blame a guy for winning because he is fit, but doesn't have as good as strokes as say, the runner-up.
also, i wouldn't make the comparison between ntrp tournaments and atp major/minor tournaments. i guarantee they'll work harder in one match than any amount of ntrp matches in a day.

Winky
10-13-2010, 10:43 PM
I can do 2 matches.. 3 in a day is pushing it a little. But I would be thrilled that I was winning at all. It's not so much the fatigue that I'm worried about but the potential for injury when you play that much in one day.

robert
10-14-2010, 12:28 AM
2-3 matches a day isn't a big deal. I played 7 USTA matches in two days and won all of them. 5 are ntrp tournament matches and 2 are league matches.

cknobman
10-14-2010, 07:19 AM
Yeah Ive pulled off 4 matches in a day (2 singles wins and 2 doubles wins) and then had to turnaround and play more the next.

Unfortunately I was spent and promptly lost both of my matches the next day.

Not the USTA's fault though, I know the rules and knew it would happen.

General rule for USTA is 2 matches per event per day so if you dont want more than 2 matches per day dont enter more than 1 event.

Of course due to weather delays you can run into situations where you will play more than 2 matches per day but then the USTA also states the matches must be in an abbreviated format of some kind.