PDA

View Full Version : NTRP age limits?

Swood010
10-12-2010, 09:51 AM
is it true you have to be 19 to be able to play in an ntrp tournament? i'm 18 but i'm already in college and see no more point in playing in junior tournaments that are drama filled by parents.
and if it is true there's no age limit on opens right?

bad_call
10-12-2010, 10:17 AM
this is an open but has 21 minimum age restriction....go figure.

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=99381

vagabondma
10-12-2010, 10:36 AM
USTA changed the age for adult tournaments to 18 this year, so you can play in any NTRP tournament as long as the tournament itself doesn't have an age restriction.

Swood010
10-12-2010, 10:39 AM
USTA changed the age for adult tournaments to 18 this year, so you can play in any NTRP tournament as long as the tournament itself doesn't have an age restriction.

Ooooo gotcha. thats good to hear cause i dont want to go back to juniors.
I thought it would be ridiculous for and age limit but i do understand how some could have them. likethe one you showed me Bad Call that would require some travel.

NoSkillzAndy
10-12-2010, 07:56 PM
I played against an 18 year old earlier this year in a 4.5 tournament so I know it's possible. Allowing 18 year olds to play NTRP is a great policy change because like the OP said, juniors tournaments are pretty pointless for most kids once they hit 18 unless they want to pad their ranking to impress college recruiters (which doesn't apply to most juniors).

Swood010
10-13-2010, 05:20 AM
I played against an 18 year old earlier this year in a 4.5 tournament so I know it's possible. Allowing 18 year olds to play NTRP is a great policy change because like the OP said, juniors tournaments are pretty pointless for most kids once they hit 18 unless they want to pad their ranking to impress college recruiters (which doesn't apply to most juniors).

Exactly thats why i played in the 18's, to get college attention and now that i'm in college i dont see the point of improving my ranking now. And thats good to know that you've actually played against one cause that shows that its true...thank you

Jack the Hack
10-13-2010, 01:24 PM
I think the USTA rules that we're talking about here do not pertain to NTRP tournaments, but rather to USTA Adult League play. Previous to this year, you had to be 19 years old to be eligible to play in the USTA Adult Leagues, but that was changed to 18 this past season.

For NTRP tournaments, I don't believe there are any official rules that regulate whether a junior player can play in each category. Instead, I believe it's up to the tournament director. For several local tournaments, I've seen notes on the entry form that say that a junior player must enter into the highest NTRP category available. I think that this is primarily because some adults that have just gotten into the game don't want to get beat by some young teenage (or younger) punk.

I know for a fact that I played a 14 year old in an NTRP tournament when I was slumming in the 4.0s a few years ago. I've also played juniors in 4.5, 5.0, and Open tournaments, so it seems quite common.

Swood010
10-13-2010, 02:23 PM
awesome thank you man. And i know what your saying about the "young" punks. i heard about having to register your rating or something along those lines to be able to start signing up for the tournies is that true?

Jack the Hack
10-13-2010, 07:19 PM
awesome thank you man. And i know what your saying about the "young" punks. i heard about having to register your rating or something along those lines to be able to start signing up for the tournies is that true?

If you are a USTA member and have no official rating, you can generally play at whatever NTRP level that you want for your first tournaments. However, once the computer generates a rating for you, you will only be allowed to sign up for that specific NTRP level (or higher) when using the online TennisLink registration.

Again, for tournaments, the tournament director holds the cards on what is allowed or not. If you don't know what NTRP category to sign up for, talk to the tournament director and see what they recommend.

One word of caution: I have seen times when people rate themselves too high and get blown out in tournaments, but because they got a few games off of highly rated opponents, they end up with a computer rating that is too high for their skill level (which limits your options and fun if you decide to play more tournaments or League tennis). For example, I knew a younger guy that played high school tennis, but had no NTRP rating. In hitting around our group of 4.0 and 4.5 rated guys, he was always clearly the worst player, so I'd guess he was more like a 3.5. However, that didn't stop him from signing up for a few 4.5 tournaments. He never won a match, but got a few games off some 4.5 rated players who were just goofing off in the early rounds. Result: he got rated 4.0 and got his butt kicked at that level for a year. In his case, he would have been better off starting at 3.5 NTRP tournaments and establishing a rating at that level before trying to move up. He would have had more equal competition at 3.5, and still could have played up once and awhile to test himself. So, my advice is to be realistic about your game and start at the right level - and it's better to start too low than too high.

Swood010
10-14-2010, 04:54 AM
i've been told i'm around 5.0-5.5 and i play consistantly with a guy who is rated in the top 5 in the state for 4.5 and i generally beat him when we play. so should i sign up for 5.0 or play it safe like you said and sign up for 4.5? Cause i've been to his tourny's to watch and saw the competition and is wasnt to bad not to mention 4.5 has double the amount of players playing then 5.0.

mikeler
10-14-2010, 05:05 AM
i've been told i'm around 5.0-5.5 and i play consistantly with a guy who is rated in the top 5 in the state for 4.5 and i generally beat him when we play. so should i sign up for 5.0 or play it safe like you said and sign up for 4.5? Cause i've been to his tourny's to watch and saw the competition and is wasnt to bad not to mention 4.5 has double the amount of players playing then 5.0.

You might get flagged as a sandbagger in the 4.5s. Since you live close by, go and talk to the people at Lake Cane.

Swood010
10-14-2010, 05:24 AM
and i dont want that label...i'll just go with 5.0 and will just work harder if i cant handle it.

mikeler
10-14-2010, 05:51 AM
and i dont want that label...i'll just go with 5.0 and will just work harder if i cant handle it.

Most of the guys in the 4.5s are middle aged players. In the 5.0s, you tend to see the younger guys. Nobody will fault you for cleaning up in the 5.0s because there is no higher division to enter. Sometimes you get Open level players that just clean everyone's clock but I never hear complaints about it.

NoSkillzAndy
10-14-2010, 06:08 AM
I would try 4.5 first. There are actually quite a few players in there that should be playing 5.0 but don't because the 5.0 draws are too small. If it's too easy for you (unlikely) or you get bumped up (again unlikely), then you can always play 5.0 or Open.

Swood010
10-14-2010, 11:13 AM
I would try 4.5 first. There are actually quite a few players in there that should be playing 5.0 but don't because the 5.0 draws are too small. If it's too easy for you (unlikely) or you get bumped up (again unlikely), then you can always play 5.0 or Open.

thats the main thing me neighbor/hitting partner plays 4.5 and cleans up most the time and the times i've been i saw only like 5 players in the 5.0 but i will definitely be one the the top players in the 4.5 (stated by others) but i think i will start there. thank you

ssgator80
10-18-2010, 09:51 AM
For NTRP tournaments, I don't believe there are any official rules that regulate whether a junior player can play in each category. Instead, I believe it's up to the tournament director. For several local tournaments, I've seen notes on the entry form that say that a junior player must enter into the highest NTRP category available. I think that this is primarily because some adults that have just gotten into the game don't want to get beat by some young teenage (or younger) punk.

Maybe this is a state thing but here in FL, you have to be 19. This according to the tournament director in the tournament I played this weekend. Sam was standing right next to me when we asked the question.

Bedrock
10-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Use online registration. It will automatically provide a list of available for you divisions.

mikeler
10-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Maybe this is a state thing but here in FL, you have to be 19. This according to the tournament director in the tournament I played this weekend. Sam was standing right next to me when we asked the question.

Is it the same lady that has been running the tournaments there for years?

ssgator80
10-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Is it the same lady that has been running the tournaments there for years?

Yes - but we talked to her husband

mikeler
10-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Yes - but we talked to her husband

He used to string my rackets for a few years. Nice guy but I did not think he got that involved with tournaments.

Longshot
10-18-2010, 01:53 PM
Leave your neighbor alone and play in the 5's or opens until you get old enough to carry a few xtra lb's and run out of breath once in awhile fer crissake.

Swood010
10-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Leave your neighbor alone and play in the 5's or opens until you get old enough to carry a few xtra lb's and run out of breath once in awhile fer crissake.

hahaha alrighty thanks BRO for that very useful information.

bad_call
10-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Swood - might be able to get u a "temporary" id for that nasty age restriction. HAHA!!

tho u have to answer to the name of Derek....

Swood010
10-21-2010, 04:14 AM
Swood - might be able to get u a "temporary" id for that nasty age restriction. HAHA!!

tho u have to answer to the name of Derek....

haha dont know how that would work out

Sherlock
10-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Just my .02

Rate yourself 4.5. Play a 4.5 tournament and see how it goes. If it feels to easy just stick to the 5.0s and Opens. You don't seem like a person who would take advantage of the system and blow everyone away in 4.5s just to rack up the wins. Seems like you'd rather find even matchups and earn your wins. If you have that mindset, nobody will fault you for trying out the 4.5s first before moving up.

And even if you do rate yourself 4.5, you will still be able to mix it up and play some 5.0 and Open tournaments. I think this is better for progression anyways to play some matches you are expected to win and some matches you are expected to lose.

Swood010
11-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Just my .02

Rate yourself 4.5. Play a 4.5 tournament and see how it goes. If it feels to easy just stick to the 5.0s and Opens. You don't seem like a person who would take advantage of the system and blow everyone away in 4.5s just to rack up the wins. Seems like you'd rather find even matchups and earn your wins. If you have that mindset, nobody will fault you for trying out the 4.5s first before moving up.

And even if you do rate yourself 4.5, you will still be able to mix it up and play some 5.0 and Open tournaments. I think this is better for progression anyways to play some matches you are expected to win and some matches you are expected to lose.

thats exactly what i'm looking for i actually just signed up for the Citrus Bowl in the open section and i'll see how well that works....

mikeler
11-07-2010, 04:18 PM
^^^ Citrus Classic is the official name. :)