PDA

View Full Version : shortcuts, cheating techniques, Do the shops use them?

racketpower
10-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Basically, when i drop my racket off at my tennis shop, they all seem like they know what theyre doing but i do suspect that my racket is not cared for properly while being strung and in the shop.

I'm just wondering what techniques or shortcuts could a shop or stringer be doing that could damage my racket or affect how the strings play. I want to know ANYTHING they could possibly be doing?

In other words, what wouldn't you want a shop to do to your racket while its being strung or while its just sitting in the shop?

hello7210
10-12-2010, 06:01 PM
The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is rushing the string job and doing over-over, under-under on the mains/crosses. It's rare but it can happen.

jim e
10-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Basically, when i drop my racket off at my tennis shop, they all seem like they know what theyre doing but i do suspect that my racket is not cared for properly while being strung and in the shop.

I'm just wondering what techniques or shortcuts could a shop or stringer be doing that could damage my racket or affect how the strings play. I want to know ANYTHING they could possibly be doing?

In other words, what wouldn't you want a shop to do to your racket while its being strung or while its just sitting in the shop?

I have seen a racquet in a machine with all the mains strung on one side only, and left that way on the machine as I did not see a stringer in the store the 45 min. I was there. Poor technique.
Another store I saw the stringer install 2 strings and pull once, for all the mains and cross strings.Bad shortcut to take.

Advise for you, since you care about things like this, is to get a machine and string your own.

airman88
10-12-2010, 06:29 PM
They could also pull all the strings at once which would be very noticeable. They also don't pre-stretch, which isn't considered a shortcut since it is optional, but I think it makes a big difference.

rich s
10-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Like jim e, i've seen partially strung racquets left unattended on a machine while the stringer was making a sale or helping a customer.

racketpower
10-12-2010, 07:15 PM
but what about the whole experience of bringing your racket to a retail or a bad specialty shop?

I've had rackets not ready when promised, even when i had a tournament to play!

What other problems could come from the whole experience in dealing with a shop or stringer who isn't the best?

Basically, is my fear (or paranoia sp. ) legitimate. I don't want to risk anything when it comes to my game.

like jim e. said, is it worth it to start stringing my own rackets?

what else could go wrong at the shop? any bad experiences you'd like to share?

airman88
10-12-2010, 07:29 PM
I don't see any reason it is not worth it. First, it is easy to do a quality job, just takes a little experience. Second, it is much cheaper since you only pay for strings after your initial investment and also you can make a little money on the side. You can also afford to try out different strings and cut them out. Finally, you can have a racket strung up within 30 mins to an hour whenever you need it.

Stringers who don't care will bend your frame. Even if it is not noticeable, it will slowly warp and break the frame.

Start with a used professional machine. I got a used upright machine for about half price that was in great condition.

dancraig
10-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Some stringers double pull whenever the customer isn't watching. If you ask for 60 pounds they might set the machine at 65, to make up for the tension loss due to the added friction.
I had one old tennis pro tell me he did this on a regular basis. He said " add a few pounds, they can't tell any difference".

Irvin
10-13-2010, 02:48 AM
What is just as bad is some stringers have bad practices and don't even know it. I have identical rackets and one day I stood them up against each other. One was 1/4" shorter and wider than the other. My problem was I strung one on a different stringer. From that point on I always measure the length of the racket and adjust the pressure on the 6 and 12 o'clock supports to make sure they're right before stringing.

If you have more than one racket strung at a shop are the lengths and widths the same? If you have one or more are the lengths correct? You don't have to watch to 'see' some bad practices.

If you get your rackets back and have more than one when you tap the strings with the other rackets the sound should be identical if they were strung with the same tension and string. Immdeiately after stringing there may be a difference but after a couple of hours they soften up and the sound should be the same. I have strung one racket a day later and the sound was the same after a while.

Irvin

rich s
10-13-2010, 02:52 AM
but what about the whole experience of bringing your racket to a retail or a bad specialty shop?

I've had rackets not ready when promised, even when i had a tournament to play!

What other problems could come from the whole experience in dealing with a shop or stringer who isn't the best?

Basically, is my fear (or paranoia sp. ) legitimate. I don't want to risk anything when it comes to my game.

like jim e. said, is it worth it to start stringing my own rackets?

what else could go wrong at the shop? any bad experiences you'd like to share?

I got tired of bringing two identical racquets to get strung with the same string at the same tension and they felt nothing alike.....

To pay $52 for two frames to be strung, they not feel alike, they were ready two days after the promised date was enough to make me string my own.....

racketpower
10-13-2010, 09:55 AM
yea, it's amazing how some shops can look you straight in the eye after giving you such poor service. And for such high prices! I know there are a lot of good stringers out there (mostly on these boards) but when stringing volumes of rackets for people they don't know, would they ever string your racket with the care they take to string their own?

babolatstar
10-13-2010, 10:47 AM
yea, it's amazing how some shops can look you straight in the eye after giving you such poor service. And for such high prices! I know there are a lot of good stringers out there (mostly on these boards) but when stringing volumes of rackets for people they don't know, would they ever string your racket with the care they take to string their own?

I used to spend MADD money on shops to string my strings. After awhile I did realize that the strings are not strung with the weight I specify. The worst I experience was when I got my racquet back the cross was waved upward alittle on every cross. When I put my tension test on it it read 46lb n I wanted 54lb....that's when I went to buy my own stringer. Save money and time and get the racquet when ever I want it.

Radicalized
10-13-2010, 03:52 PM
They just pull the strings through as fast as possible and notch them. Also, some may not use the appropriate pattern. I had that one years ago.

Icedorb217
10-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Ive never sent my racket to a shop but my coach used to string for me. He is pretty good and he claims to string on a crank and he doesnt warp it or anything. Even though all that I still started stringing just to save money and see what strings match my playstyle and such. But at shops Ive seen rackets left there unattended for an hour or so and even one time I started stringing until another employ noticed me. Also its the fact nowing that w.e. happens to your racket is your fault and its just better nowing only YOU have your frame.

Big_Dangerous
10-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Ive never sent my racket to a shop but my coach used to string for me. He is pretty good and he claims to string on a crank and he doesnt warp it or anything. Even though all that I still started stringing just to save money and see what strings match my playstyle and such. But at shops Ive seen rackets left there unattended for an hour or so and even one time I started stringing until another employ noticed me. Also its the fact nowing that w.e. happens to your racket is your fault and its just better nowing only YOU have your frame.

Wait you walked into a store and started stringing a racket left on the stringer? Wow dude I mean I feel bad for the person who's racket it is, but I definitely wouldn't do someone else's job and not get paid for it.

dancraig
10-13-2010, 08:22 PM
Some stringers double pull whenever the customer isn't watching. If you ask for 60 pounds they might set the machine at 65, to make up for the tension loss due to the added friction.
I had one old tennis pro tell me he did this on a regular basis. He said " add a few pounds, they can't tell any difference".

We all know that the crosses may need straightening after stringing, but if you get a racquet back with the mains crooked....beware. That is a sign of "double pulling", which is when the stringer tensions two runs of string at a time.