PDA

View Full Version : Is my stringing a good deal?

johndagolfer
10-13-2010, 10:49 AM
I have been gaining a rep in my area as a good cheap stringer. I was wondering if you guys felt that I am charging too little for stringing.

If they have their own string, I charge $8

If they use my string the short list is as follows

Spin X - $14 (12 for HS students)
PSGD - $14 (12 for HS students)
Hybrid $13 (12 for HS students)
Gosen Micro $12 (10 for HS students)

I can string in 30 minutes, but try to take my time with other people's racquets(45 min to an hour), I make sure the string is pre-stretched when need be, I weave carefully. In general I treat every racquet with the utmost care.

I use a MS200 DX model that I check the calibration monthly on (still perfect after 100 jobs).

I've had numerous compliments about my consistency and feel pretty good about this. The only thing I am worried about is that the word of mouth has spread and business is starting to pick up.

Based on what I have said above would you ever raise your prices. I was thinking that if the demand gets too big I might have to.

tennisnoob3
10-13-2010, 10:56 AM
I have been gaining a rep in my area as a good cheap stringer. I was wondering if you guys felt that I am charging too little for stringing.

I can string in 30 minutes, but try to take my time with other people's racquets, I make sure the string is pre-stretched when need be, I weave carefully. In general I treat every racquet with the utmost care.

I use a MS200 DX model that I check the calibration monthly on (still perfect after 100 jobs).

I've had numerous compliments about my consistency and feel pretty good about this. The only thing I am worried about is that the word of mouth has spread and business is starting to pick up.

Based on what I have said above would you ever raise your prices. I was thinking that if the demand gets too big I might have to.

nope, lower prices resulting in a higher # of customers is better in a small market. good job, you're one of the few sensible people ive seen when posting about stringing pricing.

masterxfob
10-13-2010, 11:16 AM
i charge $15 labor for standard strings, and then $20 for natural gut. i usually get anywhere from a 10-25% discount on string which also goes in my pocket. if my friends want me to continue stringing for them, they need to make it worth my while. i do make exceptions for students on school teams that i coach.

airman88
10-13-2010, 11:34 AM
I think you are charging a little too low on the better strings. You don't need to pass along the discount of a reel to the customers. You are charging $4 above your labor fee for Gosen, but only 6 for Spin x (which a customer would pay like $11 for on their own shipped just for the strings).

tnnsman7
10-13-2010, 12:33 PM
My son wanted me to teach him how to string so he could string for his fellow high school teammates. It sounded like a good idea, until he found out another player on the team is charging $5, and supplying the string! I checked out one of his string jobs and it looked fine. Assuming he's getting some kind of cheap synthetic gut by the reel, he's still doing the work for a couple of bucks max. Crazy!

Kevo
10-13-2010, 12:34 PM
I generally charge $10 for labor unless gut is involved and then it's $12 or $15 depending on if it's a hybrid or full job.

airman88
10-13-2010, 12:49 PM
It is still worth learning because you won't always have someone willing to string for nothing.

Parker512
10-13-2010, 12:59 PM
$10 is fair thats what most charge.

Radicalized
10-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Your rate seems low for most markets, but I don't know the economics and stringer availability in your region. And yes, a price increase is definitely an option. If you are undercutting a general market price too much, you are also hurting yourself: At what price do you believe you could maintain or continue to grow your customer base? What does the competition charge? Are you now established enough that you can be considered a quality stringer on par with others and not just a cheaper alternative? Beyond your price, are there other benefits to using you (availability, quick turnaround, location...)?

johndagolfer
10-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Your rate seems low for most markets, but I don't know the economics and stringer availability in your region. And yes, a price increase is definitely an option. If you are undercutting a general market price too much, you are also hurting yourself: At what price do you believe you could maintain or continue to grow your customer base? What does the competition charge? Are you now established enough that you can be considered a quality stringer on par with others and not just a cheaper alternative? Beyond your price, are there other benefits to using you (availability, quick turnaround, location...)?

There are no tennis shops in our town. They have to travel 30 minutes to get their racquets strung. I probably could bump it up a couple of bucks on each level.

I believe I have built a pretty strong base.

As for your questions I am available to meet anywhere, turn it around next day, often drop off at a mutual area if necessary.

jim e
10-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Your prices are low!
How low can you go???
I charged $10.00/ labor when I started stringing and that was over 40 years ago! Price of gasoline was $0.28/ gal back then. There has been a slight increase in the cost of living since then.Needless to say, my prices have increased since then, as well as everything else has on the planet.(Although tennis balls still remains very inexpensive)
Look at it this way, would you rather string 20 racquets a week at $10.00 labor each, or 10 racquets / week at $20.00 labor each.You could guess what my choice would be.(Also I only have limited time for stringing anyways, and have enough buisness at this time anyways).Offer precision quality work, a good turnaround time at a reasonable rate, rather than cheap rate, and client figures a cheap job as well.Only you know what your time is worth, so that is your decision to make, I just offered a suggestion as you asked for that.

Radicalized
10-13-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm still on, and I'll quickly say, Johndagolfer, that you then have far more benefits (as you noted in your response to my previous post), that while aren't intrinsic of stringing, certainly give you added value, which can be priced in. If you know the general economics of your area (what they can/will pay), you may well have your answer.

Icedorb217
10-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Umm where do you live because Im ready to make you my stringer! Man your prices are LOW!!! and you have my string! Well too bad i started stringing but if there was ever someone with those prices and offers the newer string I would have never gotten a stringer.

decades
10-13-2010, 05:07 PM
your prices are more than reasonable. I am sure you will do quite well....

beernutz
10-13-2010, 06:51 PM

I can string in 30 minutes, but try to take my time with other people's racquets(45 min to an hour), I make sure the string is pre-stretched when need be, I weave carefully. In general I treat every racquet with the utmost care.

Small nitpick, why is everything $2 off for HS students except hybrid?

Your prices are more than reasonable imo.

johndagolfer
10-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Small nitpick, why is everything $2 off for HS students except hybrid?

Your prices are more than reasonable imo.

Eh they are already getting a deal :) I couldn't bring myself to charge them $12 for gosen, but for everything else it seemed like a good floor level.

dgdawg
10-14-2010, 05:21 AM

I deff think your pricing structure is too low. (just my opinion)
Of course, I don't know your experience, equipment, commitment, etc....
I, personally, charge $20 labor. $10 for Jr.'s (HS seniors and younger)
For me, the closest "like service" is 20+ miles away.
I use basically the same machine as this pro shop (star 5 vs sensor), taken the time to get certified, am a member of the USRSA, etc.....
I'm not implying that any of this makes me a better stringer than anyone else.
I don't necessarly think I'm better now than before I was certified.
Taking these steps, IMO, adds creditability to the craft and shows (experienced) customers you've taken the time (and extra expense) to show your commitment.

Side Note: Over the past 2 or 3 years, I've had players bring me frames they just got strung at 1 of the corporate "box stores".
For these players, I string it for string cost only, labor is gratis. (1st time only).

JavierLW
10-14-2010, 06:06 AM
$8 if they bring their own string is AWESOME.

Is that for any string? What if they bring gut or want a hybrid job done?

I go to someone that I trust that works in a golf store, and they charge $14, and $20 if it's gut.

Another store in town that is a tennis store charges $17 no matter what you bring in. (maybe more for gut though, I dont trust them enough to find out, they have high school kids stringing there with 3 machines, if you want a FAST job in a hurray they are the best bet for some)

$8 is very good. You probably have a lot of room there. Maybe $10 would still be awesome, especially if you are starting to become someone that people want to go to.

If it's gut, you should probably charge at least $14.

Im not sure about the strings as I usually just buy my own. But you have to figure the stores usually add whatever their labor charge is (usually around $15) on top of whatever the listed price of the string itself is. I suspect there is some sort of MAP price involved even for labor included prices as well.

johndagolfer
10-14-2010, 08:18 AM
$8 if they bring their own string is AWESOME.

Is that for any string? What if they bring gut or want a hybrid job done?

I go to someone that I trust that works in a golf store, and they charge $14, and $20 if it's gut.

Another store in town that is a tennis store charges $17 no matter what you bring in. (maybe more for gut though, I dont trust them enough to find out, they have high school kids stringing there with 3 machines, if you want a FAST job in a hurray they are the best bet for some)

$8 is very good. You probably have a lot of room there. Maybe $10 would still be awesome, especially if you are starting to become someone that people want to go to.

If it's gut, you should probably charge at least $14.

Im not sure about the strings as I usually just buy my own. But you have to figure the stores usually add whatever their labor charge is (usually around $15) on top of whatever the listed price of the string itself is. I suspect there is some sort of MAP price involved even for labor included prices as well.

Yeah it's cheap right now. But as of today I am in a very comfortable spot. Stringing 5 or so racquets per week with a customer base of 20 or so is nice. If it gets to be too cumbersome I may up my prices.

No one that I string for uses natural gut so I am lucky there.

coachrick
10-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Yeah it's cheap right now. But as of today I am in a very comfortable spot. Stringing 5 or so racquets per week with a customer base of 20 or so is nice. If it gets to be too cumbersome I may up my prices.

No one that I string for uses natural gut so I am lucky there.

It has other 'benefits', but raising your prices won't necessarily deter customers(especially if you are established). I never lost a single client because of a price increase.

On a side note...long ago, a Myrtle Beach golf course tried to cut down on the number of rounds played by using the price increase technique. Turns out the higher greens fees actually INCREASED interest in the course and pre-booking for outings went up dramatically. Of course, increasing revenue AIN'T the worst thing in the world! :)

jefferson
10-14-2010, 08:36 AM
I would say if you are comfortable with offering those prices than great. But if you feel that you are not getting enough $ then bump it up. I charge $10 labor for everyone. Any less I would feel cheated but any more I would feel like I am cheating them. This is my comfort charge.

I also have to charge a little more than I pay for the strings for shipping. But I generally do not look to make $ on the string.

Lakers4Life
10-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Since the price of certain string has gone up (Gosen OGSM) considerably. I've had to pass on the price increase to my clients, and they are OK with it.

More or less it depends on what other stringers/stores charge in your area. Stores tend to take more turnaround time, so there is a big advantage with offering a faster turnaround time, alone.