PDA

View Full Version : frame inspection

Donny0627
10-13-2010, 04:12 PM
how do you inspect frames before you string them? alot of people say they look them over visually, but what exactly is their to look for(anything other than a blaitant crack)? Other than visually doing it, are there any other tests you do on a frame before you string it?

NOTE: I have been posting alot of new threads in this section lately because I am beginning my stringing business soon. But dont worry, i will not become another guy plugging up the boards witha million of useless threads...

coachrick
10-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Always good to check where the last string job broke(if it did ;) ). If it was at a grommet, inspect that grommet very carefully. If a frame is older or well-worn, I would give it a manual flex test in all directions, just to make sure nothing was creaking or moving. You'll likely develop an 'eye' for grommets pulling through(longer barrels in that area would be a give-away) or other common failures. If you are looking at grip work, check the snugness of the butt cap.

Essentially, you are most interested in anything that might cause the frame to explode during stringing. That's no fun for the stringer and no fun explaining to the client how it wasn't YOUR fault. :)

jim e
10-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Good luck with your new buisness.
Always best to look over the racquet close especially before you cut the strings out. A few times I have spotted a small fracture on the racquet before I even cut the strings out. This is when I call the client back, and show them that its time to invest in another racquet, as stringing places a lot of stress on a racquet, and the fracture will eventually give way in time, as I do not want that to happen to me on my machine.This way, the client cannot tell you that you caused the fracture on the way you cut out the strings, or if you miss something like this, worse yet it breaks while stringing, and you are out a new racquet to the client. And if you are some of the cheap stringers on this site that only charges $10.00 labor, you would have to string a lot just to break even.I won't even string the racquet even if the client tells me to if it has a fracture, as the racquet will eventually break in time anyways , and this only may prolong the breakage a short time anyways.
Next thing is to look at the grommets, before you cut out the strings, and after you cut them out, as a small crack can develop in a grommet that you may not see only after you tension the string, then the crack can open up, and ruin a string set. This has happened to me with a set of VS gut. Thats $ lost, as it was a very fine small fracture on a grommet, and was only really noticable once tension was applied, so be sure to check the grommets before you cut, and after you cut the strings, and if needed tube or replace grommets as needed.
These are the main things to look for.

Donny0627
10-14-2010, 03:47 PM
k thanks any other tips?

jim e
10-15-2010, 04:36 PM
k thanks any other tips?

Buy low and sell high!