PDA

View Full Version : Where is a good place to string if you dont have a stand?

JavierLW
10-14-2010, 05:51 AM
I am purchasing my first stringing machine tomorrow. (A Eagnas Combo 710)

It doesn't have a stand.

I kind of understand that it's better if the string just hangs off of the machine naturally to avoid kinks. For those of you that do not have a machine on a stand where is a good place to set the thing to do this?

Also has anyone ever made their own stand? $100+ seems like a lot for just a stand, although I suppose the main challenge would be to make sure it's sturdy enough to support the weight of the machine and keep it steady.

mikeler
10-14-2010, 06:24 AM
Congrats on your purchase. I've seen a lot of people put their stringers on utility carts. I forked over the $100 for the stand and bought some caster wheels for it so I could move it around the house.

JavierLW
10-14-2010, 06:27 AM
Congrats on your purchase. I've seen a lot of people put their stringers on utility carts. I forked over the $100 for the stand and bought some caster wheels for it so I could move it around the house.

I may break down and buy one eventually. It's just budget only allowed me to get the machine for now and Im sure Im going to start at least practicing on some old racquets.

Utility cart is a good idea, I'd have to buy one though. At least it's open on both sides so that sounds like something that would work well.

(versus a table where it's open on one side, but on the other side is more table)

origmarm
10-14-2010, 06:33 AM
I do mine on a coffee table in front of the TV. It has the added bonus of holding beer :)

Nuke
10-14-2010, 06:41 AM
Kitchen island counter.

tennytive
10-14-2010, 06:42 AM
I use 4 milk crates stacked with a drawing table for the surface. Before that I used a drafting table that worked nice but was not quite high enough.

Some people here also recommend the work mate (Black and Decker?) as a stand.

Good luck with your new stringer.

Kyle7286
10-14-2010, 06:43 AM
I've been using the Dining room table (which we RARELY ever eat on unless holiday) with carpet placed over it and have had no issues.

struggle
10-14-2010, 06:55 AM
have your wife hold it while you string.

you can set your beer on her head.

MAX PLY
10-14-2010, 07:07 AM
Ultimately you will want to buy the stand or pay more for an upright. You will likely realize this on the 10th racquet or so you've strung on a table somewhere in your house. By the time you find a decent cart or other substitute and pay for it---you will have invested time and money and IMO have a potentially less than optimal solution--$100, in that context, seems reasonable. You can always add your own wheels to the stand as well (to enhance portability). You will much prefer standing up while stringing. While some of the posters on this board have done some pretty neat things with carts (do a search)--by the time they have dressed them up, etc., I am not sure they saved much. If you cannot afford it now, just save and buy it later--but finding an alternative to a stand strikes me as not saving a great deal of money in the long term. Good luck and congratulations on your prospective purchase.

struggle
10-14-2010, 07:09 AM
^^^^^^ agreed. +1. buy it up front, not later, if you can. you'll be happier for it. and your wife will too!! ha

JavierLW
10-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Ultimately you will want to buy the stand or pay more for an upright. You will likely realize this on the 10th racquet or so you've strung on a table somewhere in your house. By the time you find a decent cart or other substitute and pay for it---you will have invested time and money and IMO have a potentially less than optimal solution--$100, in that context, seems reasonable. You can always add your own wheels to the stand as well (to enhance portability). You will much prefer standing up while stringing. While some of the posters on this board have done some pretty neat things with carts (do a search)--by the time they have dressed them up, etc., I am not sure they saved much. If you cannot afford it now, just save and buy it later--but finding an alternative to a stand strikes me as not saving a great deal of money in the long term. Good luck and congratulations on your prospective purchase.

Right, I have access to some things that others do not, like my dad is a construction welder and has made some pretty awesome items out of metal.

But I kind of agree at some point when I have the money (which could be in a month), it will probably be a lot less hassle just to get a stand.

The reason why Im buying the machine now though is that there are only two people in town that I let string my racquets and their stores are going out of business. (they are golf stores)

My current string job is only going to last me another 2 months or so before I'll want to restring it, so I want to get ahead and at least string some practice racquets before I start messing with my main playing racquets.

Most of the suggestions here sound good though. I actually do have a coffee table but not sure I'd stick a heavy stringing machine on it.

I have a kitchen island counter as well but I have to walk all the way around to get to the other side if I need to for some reason to get into the kitchen. That seems like a hassle. (besides that Im stringing a racquet in the kitchen and the wife probably will complain about that....)

Just for practice though those may work out great.

coachrick
10-14-2010, 08:38 AM
This time of the year, you can't drive a single block around here without passing a weekend yard-sale. I'll bet you can find a microwave/kitchen cart for $20 or less in someone's garage. About the right height, mobile, some storage, might even look good.

Same could be said for a tool/work cart if you get lucky.

MAX PLY
10-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Right, I have access to some things that others do not, like my dad is a construction welder and has made some pretty awesome items out of metal.

But I kind of agree at some point when I have the money (which could be in a month), it will probably be a lot less hassle just to get a stand.

The reason why Im buying the machine now though is that there are only two people in town that I let string my racquets and their stores are going out of business. (they are golf stores)

My current string job is only going to last me another 2 months or so before I'll want to restring it, so I want to get ahead and at least string some practice racquets before I start messing with my main playing racquets.

Most of the suggestions here sound good though. I actually do have a coffee table but not sure I'd stick a heavy stringing machine on it.

I have a kitchen island counter as well but I have to walk all the way around to get to the other side if I need to for some reason to get into the kitchen. That seems like a hassle. (besides that Im stringing a racquet in the kitchen and the wife probably will complain about that....)

Just for practice though those may work out great.

Makes sense--did you see if you could get a good deal on the machines from the places that are closing (that's how I got my first upright (and Ektelon D) about a hundred years ago)? May be out of your price range, but it never hurts to ask.

jim e
10-14-2010, 10:23 AM
and Im sure Im going to start at least practicing on some old racquets.

I would not waste any time or strings on old racquets unless you will be using them. Go for it and use your regular racquets, as very unlikely you will cause any damage to the racquet itself. Even if you mess it up , todays racquets can take a beating.Worse thing is you screw it up and will have to cut the strings out.

Donny0627
10-14-2010, 11:04 AM
I have my tabletop stringer sittinng on a desk and it works fine

beernutz
10-14-2010, 01:11 PM
I used my Klippermate for years on the corner of a folding square card table. It wasn't ideal but it worked and cost me nothing since we'd already owned the card table for 15 years.

That said, it would be painful to have to go back to that setup from the Neos.

Parker512
10-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Wanted to buy one of those 710 combos but did'nt trust eagnas drop weights. Does it work well?

Radicalized
10-15-2010, 02:45 AM
Anywhere that you won't have to reach up or down to run your strings through the grommets. It should be comfortable for you to be able to push or pull the strings when weaving and when you tie knots. Adequate lighting. Enough room for the racquet to turn on the turntable. Free space so the string doesn't get caught on surrounding items. A space for some tools. And don't forget room for the dropweight arm.

jgrushing
10-15-2010, 07:08 AM
The kitchen counter's the perfect height for me. I've always been amazed that the KM commercial has the guys using a low coffee table or something. Looks very inconvenient.

jdawgg
10-17-2010, 09:01 AM
I use the dinning room table which is slightly too high so im always on my toes and my calves start burning after like 10 minutes hahaha. Calve strengthening exercises while stringing racquets thats the way i look at it... :)

origmarm
10-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Some people here also recommend the work mate (Black and Decker?) as a stand

Used to use a workmate. Great stand and meant I had a workbench also. Picked it up locally second hand