PDA

View Full Version : getting started

whomad15
10-14-2010, 09:11 AM
I'm interested in stringing my own racquets, since having to pay $9 labor + string + gas (closest shop is 30minutes away) is adding up.
What do you suggest I do to get started, what do I need to purchase

Radicalized
10-15-2010, 02:35 AM
Any stringer with 2-point mounting and a drop weight on up to whatever price you want to pay with all the bells and whistles. What brand and what features is always of debate, but generally, if you're stringing for yourself, you certainly don't need an expensive machine. You might like a few extra cutters and pliers, as most machines only come with some basic tools. Once the machine is assembled, all you need is your racquet, the string, the proper pattern, the basic tools, and the proper knowledge--which is the key with preparation.

As with anything, there are always extra features and additional "gadgets."

To get started, check out videos like those from YULitle (youtube.com/yulitle). Also, search the web for the various brands of stringing machines. Download the manuals and take a look at those. The Silent Partner ones are the most well written, IMO, for someone who needs to see a manual.

lionel_101
10-15-2010, 05:24 AM
I'm interested in stringing my own racquets, since having to pay $9 labor + string + gas (closest shop is 30minutes away) is adding up.
What do you suggest I do to get started, what do I need to purchase

Go see the sticky (the first entry) for all the information you probably need.