PDA

View Full Version : I don't see many people use dunlop racquets?

krnboijunsung
06-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Is there any reason for that? Even on this board, there aren't many dunlop users. I play high school tennis and I own two Dunlop 300Gs and like them. I was wondering if anyone has tried M-fil 200 and M-Fil 300. Every post I've seen about the M-Fils is that people like the 200 over the 300.

Lakoste
06-03-2005, 07:28 PM
i liked the 200, but i hated the stupid stock grip, so i changed it to leather and it feels a lot better

jj300
06-03-2005, 08:04 PM
I used to have 5 old style mw 200g 100. all of them broke. 1 from a safin like throw, all the other ones broke at 8 and 4 spot or 10 and 2. I couldn't keep buying them so i just bought two tour 95's yesturday

AndrewD
06-03-2005, 08:13 PM
I dont think you can rule out price. The Dunlops aren't the cheapest racquet around at the moment so people might shy away from trying them, instead going to a brand they're more familiar with. I think the Tecnifibre racquets have suffered in a similar fashion. They might be quite good but they aren't at a price that would tempt you to give them a try.

Also, and it is unfortunate, but apart from James Blake, Dunlop don't really have anyone on board who might appeal to the mass of players. Even out here in Australia they didn't have the kind of appeal you'd expect. Alicia Molik started to play very well with the 300G (before her illness) but by that stage Dunlop had started to push the new range. When that came out she was still using the old 300G and it didn't look like she would switch.

Personally, I felt that recent Dunlops (and strangely the Tecnifibre as well) have been too similar to the Head i-series racquets to bother with.

BreakPoint
06-03-2005, 09:14 PM
Interesting. I see lots of people using Dunlops around here, especially the 300G and the old MW200G. In fact, I see lots of Open level tournament players still using the MW200G. I also see a variety of other Dunlops, about as much as, say, Prince racquets.

In the U.S., Dunlops are actually one of the least expensive racquets to buy. The 200G and 300G were selling in the low $100's, when at the same time, Wilsons, Heads, Volkls, and Bablots were selling in the high $100's.

AndrewD
06-03-2005, 09:24 PM
BreakPoint,

isn't it stupid then, in one of their traditional marketplaces, that they'd have their prices up at the same level as other racquets. Good marketing suggests you protect your territories, Dunlop haven't and now Wilson have run over the top of them. Think the final nail in that coffin was Wilson snaring the ball rights to the Aus Open - traditionally a Dunlop only affair. Perhaps that all came about in the company shake-up a little while ago.

Actually, the thing that turned my sights to buying from the United States and, eventually, the TW site was the local prices for Dunlop. If they'd been more affordable Id have probably just gone for the 200G but as they weren't I found TW and my brand options increased.

ffrpg
06-03-2005, 10:00 PM
You're right, Dunlop really isn't all that popular. I'm a fan of the 200g series and every company has some sort of series that really stands out. I've never tried any of the 300g's or the Mfil 300. I personally think that Dunlop has a really good thing going with the Mfil 200. It's a solid no gimmick racquet. The thing that I've loved about the 200 series is that they aren't really anything special. It's just a basic racquet and does what it's suppose to. If you ever get the chance, give the Mfil 200 a demo. A worker at my local tennis shop told me it was highly control oriented. I didn't believe him, so I gave it a go. Assuming you have proper technique, there's possibly no way you could ever hit a shot long with this racquet.

uk_skippy
06-04-2005, 01:08 AM
In the U.S., Dunlops are actually one of the least expensive racquets to buy. The 200G and 300G were selling in the low $100's, when at the same time, Wilsons, Heads, Volkls, and Bablots were selling in the high $100's.

Breakpoint - The new Mil 200 & 300 are relatively cheap. In fact they are the same price in the US as they are in the UK. After Dunlop/Slazenger where bought by a large sports chain here in the UK, Id expect the Mil rqts to be last 'decent' frames that they produce before Dunlop & Slaz are turned into a cheap brand producing cheap rqts which sell on the back of their heritage. I also think once Henman has finished playing (or his contract with Slaz ends), Slaz could do the same, oe worse disappear for ever. Slazneger have already relinquished the rights to have their balls used at the Aus open.

Dunlop & Slaz are strong brands here in the UK and would probably continue to sell reasonabley well, but I suspect that across the world that branding will deminish.

Oh, and by the way, the company that bought Dunlop/Slaz also bought Donnay. And that branding's gone down the pan, rats and all.

Paul

krnboijunsung
06-04-2005, 07:19 AM
I believe the 300Gs plays similarly to the ti.radicals. But I think 300G's are racquets that should be customized. The head is too light, and I've put lead tape on the 12 o' clock position.

Yes, and I've also heard like many others, that the M-Fil 200 has very low power, unless you put the string tension really low. I really want to demo one.

AndrewD
06-04-2005, 07:42 AM
I didnt mind the 300G but would have preferred it to play a touch softer. If it's supposed to play like the Ti-Radical, I wonder if the i-Radical would offer similar playability but with a more forgiving feel.

Anyone got any idea?

dozu
06-04-2005, 07:54 AM
it's a shame if Dunlop is losing market share.... imo they make the best products out there... the wilson brand is like the nike, lots of advertising, but their stuff is cr@p. I have used both wilson, prince and dunlop rackets and theirs are the best in terms of feel and comfort.

also, the dunlop balls are far better than wilson or penn, but they are not as popular because they don't run any TV ads.

it's kinda sad, because only true tennis fans can appreciate the quality difference, the mass 3.5-4.0 population only use what the TV tells them to use.

Chanchai
06-04-2005, 08:41 AM
As far as I know, Dunlop does not aggressively market to the tennis clubs the way that Wilson, Head, and Prince do. I don't even know what the comparison would be regarding numbers of regional representatives.

However, Wilson and Prince have the largest marketshare I think, but Head has really come up to task and risen in popularity.

Then again, you can say that you see Babolat more than Dunlop these days, and Babolat does not seem to actively pursue clubs at all in North America (yet?).

The popularity of Roddick and Moya in the US has encouraged Babolat sales I think, as well as word of mouth (despite negative word of mouth on TW forums, I saw a lot of people who picked up Babolats on word of mouth back in 2002).

Personally, I love Dunlop. But it is far from its heydays of the original Maxply when it was the dominant choice of wood racquets. Its marketing is not even close to Wilson, Head, or Prince--in fact, you even see more Babolat ads in magazines and Racquet shops (pretty much the only place you see Babolat marketing aside from certain players) than you see any of that for Dunlop.

I figure in the back of one's mind, looking at the advertising and marketing of racquets (even without acknowledging it), there's a voice that seems to say "Dunlop is going the way of the dodo."

A side note, though. In northern Oregon, I have seen LOTS OF 300G users. Myself a 300G user, I was very surprised to be honest. In late 2002 through 2004, racquet shops in Portland have told me it's consistently been one of their top 5 best sellers. I have to say, the racquet plays very nice indoors :) And almost everyone plays indoors here. I have seen some 300G users convert to the Wilson nCode racquets lately though.

OH AMEN TO THE DUNLOP BALLS!!! Still my favorite hardcourt balls, and still preferred by many in my area.

-Chanchai

rooski
06-04-2005, 10:45 AM
Dunlop has always been horrible at marketing anything in the U.S. They just don't have a clue. A local club here in the Charleston area said they rarely see a rep AND since they (Dunlop) do such a poor job of print advertising/pro player contracts there is no reason to carry the rackets. There are pockets in the country where this is not the case but I've lived in 5 major cities in the last 15 years and Dunlop is practically invisible.

netman
06-04-2005, 01:18 PM
rooski, thats really sad since Dunlop/Slazenger North America is (was?) headquartered in Greenville, SC.

I have used Dunlop and Slazenger racquets off and on for over 30 years. They have always had a very good price/performance ratio in the U.S. The new MaxPly McEnroe is actually a well made, very good all court frame, and the X1 is also a very well made racquet. So maybe there is still hope for the brands under the new ownership.

coolblue123
03-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Hi I am in the Washington DC area, I've been trying to find a demo for the MIL200. (No one sells it in my area....) I've asked some tennis racquet botiques and they stop carrying the 200 cause it has extra vibration and "t'ing," of the racquet.... Can someone confirm this and how does the racquet play? I am currently using a Muscle Weave 200G mid. Unfortunately, the racquet frame broke...
TIA

tennisadict
03-02-2006, 11:03 PM
Hi I am in the Washington DC area, I've been trying to find a demo for the MIL200. (No one sells it in my area....) I've asked some tennis racquet botiques and they stop carrying the 200 cause it has extra vibration and "t'ing," of the racquet.... Can someone confirm this and how does the racquet play? I am currently using a Muscle Weave 200G mid. Unfortunately, the racquet frame broke...
TIA
demo from tw

Ralf
03-02-2006, 11:17 PM
All that talk about Dunlop's demise makes me sad - like Slazenger, the brand is "traditional" in a positive sense and I have some (slightly irrational) emotional attachment to it - possibly as I got my first Dunlop racquet about 20 years ago and the brand and its logo remind me of my early blissful tennis years.

Anyway, here in Germany, you don't see that many Dunlop racquets around. Some 200Gs, a few 300Gs, and that's it. Almost no M-Fils. The racquet that's all over the place is the Babolat PD Team. I don't know where the Babolat hysteria is coming from, but it's definitely there.
Again, Dunlop is special to me and I just hope they're not going downhill as regards the production of quality racquets.

PM_
03-02-2006, 11:26 PM
Is there any reason for that? Even on this board, there aren't many dunlop users. I play high school tennis and I own two Dunlop 300Gs and like them. I was wondering if anyone has tried M-fil 200 and M-Fil 300. Every post I've seen about the M-Fils is that people like the 200 over the 300.
i see more 200/300gs than any other racquet out there.

DragonFly
03-03-2006, 12:07 AM
TIA

You probably can't find it cause its called the MFIL, haha. Anyways, I notice a few people use dunlop, maybe around 3/8 of the people here, maybe a bit less. but those that do use dunlop usually love their racquets to death, like I do, haha. I hated the MW, I prefer the 200g HM though. But it is a demanding frame. the 300 offered me more consistency.

spaceman_spiff
03-03-2006, 12:39 AM
coolblue123, I don't know which part of the DC area you are in, but if you are not too far from Wheaton, MD, you might want to call up Sports World. They have a bunch of different brands there, but I can't remember if they have Dunlop. I used to live in NW DC, playing in Mont. County, MD, so I found out about that shop from some friends. However, it's been some time since I moved, so I can't remember what all they have (though I do remember seeing one Slazenger in there once).

coolblue123
03-03-2006, 05:00 AM
thx spaceman_spiff. I went to Sport's world and they didn't have the racquet there. I like that place alot. It's one of the very few places (besides cntry club stores where i am not part of...) where they have Babolats. The owner there just told me to switch over to the pure control or slazenger, if you don't mind generating all your power....

rocket
03-03-2006, 07:00 AM
James Blake is leaving Dunlop to join Prince...

UpTheT
03-03-2006, 10:11 AM
The owner of my local tennis shop told me that the Dunlop Rep hasn't been there in 2 years.

louis netman
03-03-2006, 10:38 AM
I believe the 300Gs plays similarly to the ti.radicals. But I think 300G's are racquets that should be customized. The head is too light, and I've put lead tape on the 12 o' clock position.

Yes, and I've also heard like many others, that the M-Fil 200 has very low power, unless you put the string tension really low. I really want to demo one.

If you prefer heavier sticks, get a 300g and completely mod it. It will be worth it. It becomes a juiced-up, traditional feeling, players stick and the addition of a significant amount of lead in the upper hoop shifts the sweetspot northward...Can't go wrong at the current price!

badmice2
03-03-2006, 11:26 AM
I have 3x 200HM and 1x MFil 200; i must say i like the 200HM better. I've also hit with the 200MW and finds that the HM version is less demending due to it's stiffness. Personally, the 300g is too light for me, and I'm not one that likes to spend my time recalibrating lighter rackets with lead tape to find the perfect feel; I much rather find the perfect strings that compliments my game. And like someone said already, leather grip does compliment this racket.

I've also played with the MFil 300, and find that it plays much better than both the MFil 200 and 300G. The added weight on the MFil 300 makes the racket more player friendly, and the sq in make it more forgiving than the MFil 200.

I recently saw the MFil 400 in a local shop...curious to demo that stick for fun. I've also been looking for the 100G that I know I'll never find (if you know someone that has it and are selling it, please let me know), I want to compare the 100g vs. 200g.

AndyP
03-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Which out of the 300g 600g and 1000g would be good for a top spin serve and volley doubles player?

serveitup911
03-03-2006, 08:48 PM
I like my Dunlops. I have played with many models over the years.

Super Revelation
Revelation Lite +1.00
Revelation Tour Pro +1.00
M-Fil 200
M-Fil 200 Plus (current)

I have always enjoyed the solid, dampened feel that Dunlops have.
I may be a bit partial since they are headquartered in my home town.
I am not a racket abuser, but I hit the ball HARD and I have NEVER broken a Dunlop. When I played with the Head i.Prestige MP XL, the rackets were breaking at the throat all the time.

An interesting note is Dunlop now apparently makes a standard length M-Fil 200 Plus. Personally, I really like the extra half inch.

joe
03-03-2006, 11:29 PM
I've been playing in the Vancouver area for over 15 years and Dunlop never seemed a significant presence here. It's always been Wilson, Head and to a lesser extent, Prince. Same anywhere on the Canadian prairies before that. It depends where you are though. A friend visiting Ireland in the late eighties/early nineties saw nothing but Max 200Gs everywhere. I don't think the present lack of visibility of Dunlop relative to others on the pro tours is directly related to the quality of Dunlop products. All it takes is one top-ranked (read #1) pro to endorse a certain frame and things could change. Being a satisfied 200G HM user myself, I'd like to think that it's more to do with ineffective marketing strategies or priorities. I think some of the posters are correct in that Dunlop is selective as to where they focus marketing pressure. Hopefully, the recent "restructuring" of the company won't be harmful and Dunlop will strive to keep Wilson and the rest honest.

KFwinds
03-04-2006, 07:58 AM
Wow. I'm in the Chicago area (west burbs), and there a several clubs that market Dunlop products. Lots of people here using Dunlop sticks, including myself. I was using the 200 line for a while (MW, HM, then M-Fil), but found that the M-Fil 300 was much easier to use. I really like the Maxply McEnroe as well. If Dunlop is really that scarce, you wouldn't know it here. The 300g is a very popular stick with the 3.5-4.5 level players in my area.

300Gkid
03-04-2006, 12:22 PM
well, i use a 300G and i think its great, it does play a lot like the iradical though, and believe it or not the m-fil 300 is basically a 300G with different cosmetics. I spoke to someone who works for dunlop and they said they thought they were losing sales because the new "shiny" racquets like the babalots looked cooler than the 300G.

louis netman
03-04-2006, 12:31 PM
well, i use a 300G and i think its great, it does play a lot like the iradical though, and believe it or not the m-fil 300 is basically a 300G with different cosmetics. I spoke to someone who works for dunlop and they said they thought they were losing sales because the new "shiny" racquets like the babalots looked cooler than the 300G.

I've heard the same. Most people who play with rackets right "off the rack" will feel a difference in power level between the mfil 300 & 300g. It's all attributed to the Mfil having slightly more swingweight, due to a slight re-distribution of mass. Get the 300g to the exact same SW as the Mfil and you will have identical power and feel...

SteveI
03-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Which out of the 300g 600g and 1000g would be good for a top spin serve and volley doubles player?

The only one on that list is the 300g... but you might need to add some weight to it to make it more stable to handle some well hit ground strokes at the net.

Regards,
Steve

Aeropro joe
03-04-2006, 04:32 PM
i use a dunlop (mfil 200)

jtreed2000
03-04-2006, 07:10 PM
I didnt mind the 300G but would have preferred it to play a touch softer. If it's supposed to play like the Ti-Radical, I wonder if the i-Radical would offer similar playability but with a more forgiving feel.

Anyone got any idea?

I've used a 300G MP for about 7-8 months. It's nice for control in stock form, but the power level is low and your arm will take a beating if you have a very fast swing. I used both of the i.Radicals, the MP for 3 months before going to the 300G, and now I'm trying more powerful racquets and like the i.Radical OS and Yonex RDX 500 MP. I believe the i.Rad OS is more powerful, but the Yonex has better spin. The i.Rad MP was a nice racquet, but I really had to work hard to get spin. You still have to work with the OS, but the feeling of both of those racquets is very nice. The Yonex is a very comfortable racquet, that I actually didn't like that much at the start, but it's growing on me. I used a Ti Radical for about 5 minutes once, but didn't like the higher swingweight.

jtreed2000
03-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Oh... and I've also used the 300G w/ 20 grams of lead in the tail. It's more solid, but I think it needs more like 10 in the tail, 6-10 in the head. It's underrated for spin and control in my opinion. It is way too light in stock form for anyone who wails on the ball.