PDA

View Full Version : Klipper Vs. X-2

Parker512
10-17-2010, 03:51 PM
which one is better? The thing i like most about he x-2 is the clutch gripper. But the clamps have had bad reviews. But the Klippers clams have no complaints. But the klipper oesent have the clutch gripper. Also this is my 600 post!:)

masterxfob
10-17-2010, 06:33 PM
i bought my klippermate almost two years ago and have no regrets about the purchase. some weirdos will say that dropweights aren't as accurate or consistent, but they're weirdos. they don't know any better.

aussie
10-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Don't worry about the cam gripper jaws - they work well and you feed less string thru the jaws than you wrap around a tensioning drum. With a little practice you become very quick with the K'mate jaws.

CHOcobo
10-17-2010, 07:28 PM
i just purchased my klipper 2 days ago. i love it. the only thing that keeps me thinking is that i strung a 95in^2 racket at 40lb with my klipper and it feels stiffer on a 98in^2 racket at 56lb from my local stringer. i don't understand. either the local stringer's isn't recalibrate or the klipper's scale is off.

max
10-18-2010, 06:15 AM
re: above; it may be the case that your local stringer uses a crank machine. I noted a similiar thing. Just consider adjusting your tension to accommodate the change in stringer type.

I love my Kmate and feel it easily beats the x2 because of its very easy to use (and steel) clamps!

As Aussie says, it looks like an agriculture tool; it's not given any spiffyness for looks. But it's damn solid.

max
10-18-2010, 06:16 AM
. . . also, your inquiry is about the most common one here in this area. Do a search and you'll find an afternoon's worth of reading on this specific question.

ryangoring
10-18-2010, 06:24 AM
Yeah it has been done before, just search and you shall find

CHOcobo
10-18-2010, 07:18 AM
otherwise i like it a lot. it feels very consistent too on the tension. i agree about the steel clamps, it's very nice and more durable than plastic. i never used or seen the x-2 but i just can't imagine using plastic clamps. strings seem like it can easily slide since plastic is much more elastic than metal so the clamp force is very weak and can deform if too much is applied.

CHOcobo
10-18-2010, 07:25 AM
btw i did some math and static calculation and turns out the scale factor for me is 1.333333. i wanted to restrung my AG200, that i did before with 40lb, with 44lbs so 44/1.333333 = 33 on the klipper scale. after being strung it made a lot more sense now. haha. not accurate i bet but much better.

i read a bit and guess the best way is to get a scale. didn't need to kno more. lol. thanks.

i mean 1.454545 --> 44/1.454545 = 32.25lb on kmate scale

Radicalized
10-19-2010, 12:51 AM
I use an X-2. And like most everyone on the board, what I have works great for me. The racquets I string play perfectly. I have no problems with polys, clamps, mounting, or any of the issues commonly surrounding stringing. As long as you get a machine with quality parts, it's all you. So, along with all of your posting, I hope you are actually preparing yourself to string. Either way, you'll need that to make the "one" work for you.

tes
10-19-2010, 03:26 AM
which one is better? The thing i like most about he x-2 is the clutch gripper. But the clamps have had bad reviews. But the Klippers clams have no complaints. But the klipper oesent have the clutch gripper. Also this is my 600 post!:)

I have the x-2. The clamps suck. One of these days I'm going to upgrade them. The machine is well built and works just fine though.
I never tried the Klipper.

ART ART
10-23-2010, 02:21 PM
@ CHOcobo: use the right side of the weight, to mark the tension.

You will see, it matches with your calcs.

Cheers

max
10-23-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm not sure how a poll on the internet will really tell you anything.

Donny0627
10-24-2010, 04:11 AM
I'm not sure how a poll on the internet will really tell you anything.

agreed, but as you can see in the last line of his OP, getting up his post count is very important to him...

aussie
10-24-2010, 04:43 PM
This debate is one of the most common here on TT (along with the generic Gosen OG Sheep Micro vs the genuine Gosen OG Sheep Micro). Boils down to personal opinion of course and there is really no definitive and objective answer. They both work well and produce accurate but more importantly, relicable string jobs. If the time it takes to string a racquet is not an issue to you, either will suit. The more time you wait to buy one the more money you expend on "pro" string jobs. Don't let too much time pass before you get a machine like I did and wonder why you didn't do it years ago. aussie.