PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find knot tightener

ninjatennis
10-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Hey everyone - I was watching ATP Tour Uncovered and they had a segment on stringing. The stringer was using this metal tool to tighten the knot. It wasn't the parallel jaw pliers on tw.

It looked to be spring loaded where it clamps down on the string automatically. It almost looks like those hammers the doctors used to bang your knee cap to see if you have the leg reaction. I looked everywhere and can't seem to find it. Any one know where I can find it?

airman88
10-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Starting clamp maybe?

dancraig
10-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Maybe this?
http://www.eagnas.com/maxgen2/pp800.html

Donny0627
10-18-2010, 02:51 AM
starting clamp....

ninjatennis
10-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Starting clamp maybe?

starting clamp....

it may be a starting clamp but it's definitely not this type of starting clamp:

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/new_big/GCLAMP-1.jpg

Maybe this?
http://www.eagnas.com/maxgen2/pp800.html

dancraig - yeah! it looks like that except it was all metal and it looked to be spring loaded.

http://www.eagnas.com/gif/p800.gif

hpaiste
10-18-2010, 12:18 PM
could we see the video?

Sublime
10-18-2010, 12:43 PM
You can use needle nose pliers to pull knots.

Grab the string with the pliers and turn it one full rotation, so the string is wrapped around the outside of the tips. Then grab the pliers by the tips, so that the pliers are in your hand and the string is between your fingers.

struggle
10-18-2010, 03:45 PM
i've never used one of those cam/pliers, but definitely prefer the starting clamp to using the needlenose pliers. i don't ever snap the string off with the starting clamp, but it has happened to me occasionally with the needlenose pliers.

decades
10-18-2010, 03:48 PM
get yourself an alpha starting clamp. tie good knots with it.

Lakers4Life
10-18-2010, 04:01 PM
i've never used one of those cam/pliers, but definitely prefer the starting clamp to using the needlenose pliers. i don't ever snap the string off with the starting clamp, but it has happened to me occasionally with the needlenose pliers.

+1

I have both the Gamma and Eagnas starting clamps, and they both work great. The Gamma SC however is a bit lighter to squeeze, and can easily "let go". I don't use the Gamma SC to pull knots, but works great for a Starting Clamp.

mad dog1
10-18-2010, 04:09 PM

+2...like lakers4life, i have the eagnas and gamma SC, too, and have found the gamma SC to "let go" when using it to clamp & pull tie off knots. i prefer to use the eagnas SC for pulling knots. prior to tying knots w/ SCs, i was doing it w/ smooth blade nosed needle nose pliers and almost stabbed myself when it snapped the string.

jim e
10-18-2010, 04:17 PM
+2...like lakers4life, i have the eagnas and gamma SC, too, and have found the gamma SC to "let go" when using it to clamp & pull tie off knots. i prefer to use the eagnas SC for pulling knots. prior to tying knots w/ SCs, i was doing it w/ smooth blade nosed needle nose pliers and almost stabbed myself when it snapped the string.

Very important to anyone who uses pliers to tighten knots.
Always pull in same direction like towards your shoulder for instance, that way if the string snaps, or pliers slips, you would not get pliers in the face or eye. It has been reported with stringers in the past.
Personally I just use fingers to cinch up knots,it works, and less damage to strings.

Lakers4Life
10-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Always pull in same direction like towards your shoulder for instance, that way if the string snaps, or pliers slips, you would not get pliers in the face or eye. It has been reported with stringers in the past.
Personally I just use fingers to cinch up knots,it works, and less damage to strings.

What you say makes sense, but as far as damaging string when cinching knots. What does it matter if you are going to cut off the damaged string anyways?

jim e
10-18-2010, 04:29 PM
What you say makes sense, but as far as damaging string when cinching knots. What does it matter if you are going to cut off the damaged string anyways?

I have seen a stringer pull so tight that the string snapped , and ruined a set of VS gut (not just the tail end, but snapped the string where the knot wrapped aroung the tie off string).Since I can cinch up a Parnell real well with fingers, I see no reason to use anything else. I guess if I was stringing all day, and did not want to have sore fingers from the quantity of racquets, then thats different.

mad dog1
10-18-2010, 04:40 PM

good tip!

if the length of string i have remaining is long enough to loop around my hand, i will tighten by hand. if i only have 4-6" left (not enough to loop around my hand to get a good grip), i use the strarting clamp.

jim e
10-18-2010, 04:47 PM
good tip!

if the length of string i have remaining is long enough to loop around my hand, i will tighten by hand. if i only have 4-6" left (not enough to loop around my hand to get a good grip), i use the strarting clamp.

Hi mad dog: This is where we differ. I try not to cut the string that close, so I have enough at the end. When I string from reels, I just rough measure it,(9 racquet lengths for M's, 8 for X's, and modified from there for certain racquets), and usually have enouugh left over. Years ago, I use to try and cut it close from cutting from reels, and it really never paid off, as I would end up with just a longer piece of useless string that I could not use anyways.

drakulie
10-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Hey everyone - I was watching ATP Tour Uncovered and they had a segment on stringing. The stringer was using this metal tool to tighten the knot. It wasn't the parallel jaw pliers on tw.

It looked to be spring loaded where it clamps down on the string automatically. It almost looks like those hammers the doctors used to bang your knee cap to see if you have the leg reaction. I looked everywhere and can't seem to find it. Any one know where I can find it?

Is this what you are referring to?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/drakulie/CIMG0128.jpg

here is a vid on how to use them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDwAnjSYcxQ

mad dog1
10-18-2010, 06:34 PM
^^ awesome...thx for the video, drakulie!

mad dog1
10-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Hi mad dog: This is where we differ. I try not to cut the string that close, so I have enough at the end. When I string from reels, I just rough measure it,(9 racquet lengths for M's, 8 for X's, and modified from there for certain racquets), and usually have enouugh left over. Years ago, I use to try and cut it close from cutting from reels, and it really never paid off, as I would end up with just a longer piece of useless string that I could not use anyways.

hi jim e, you've got a ton more experience stringing than me. i haven't even gone thru 1 full reel of gosen micro yet. :shock: i got the reel and strung up a few racquets, but then started experimenting w/ other strings (all individual sets). when i was stringing from the reel, i'd try to measure exact to get the most from the reel, but seeing as i'm not even done w/ the first reel with no intention of finishing the reel any time soon, i guess it was all for naught. :) now that i'm using individual sets, i always end up w/ long tails so i've been hand tying my knots. :grin:

coachrick
10-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Is this what you are referring to?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/drakulie/CIMG0128.jpg

here is a vid on how to use them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDwAnjSYcxQ

I still have my BMW cam pliers from 1984. Really don't use them except to pull a short string by levering against the frame(haven't needed to do that in a long time). I'd use them to facilitate a patch job; but, who does THAT any more?

I use the starting clamp to tie off...the cam pliers stay in the drawer, out of the way.

Might be a fun way to string a racket...couple of awls, cam pliers...like the cavemen did it! :)

drakulie
10-19-2010, 05:35 AM
^^ awesome...thx for the video, drakulie!

You're welcome.

I still have my BMW cam pliers from 1984. Really don't use them except to pull a short string by levering against the frame(haven't needed to do that in a long time). I'd use them to facilitate a patch job; but, who does THAT any more?

I use the starting clamp to tie off...the cam pliers stay in the drawer, out of the way.

Might be a fun way to string a racket...couple of awls, cam pliers...like the cavemen did it! :)

Yup, when reading about how racquets were strung before the STRINGING MACHINE took over, it sure makes me appreciate the machine I have. :)

Pinkskunk
10-19-2010, 09:21 AM
Drakulie,

thanks for the link. i learnt so much from this site, and i am still learning.............

Pinkskunk
10-19-2010, 09:23 AM
is this one good?

http://www.eagnas.com/store/popup_image.php?pID=60

struggle
10-19-2010, 09:27 AM
is this one good?

http://www.eagnas.com/store/popup_image.php?pID=60

works great for me. some have indicated it has stronger springs than other models, but
it's the only one i have used for along time, so i can't verify that.

Pinkskunk
10-19-2010, 10:35 AM
thanks Tbuggle, stronger is better for me :)

diredesire
10-20-2010, 03:22 PM
I recommend the GSS (older style) RAB/Alpha clamp. the newer Alpha clamps are really wide jawed, but the GSS clamp is best in my experience (provided you don't want to pay for a Babolat clamp).

I love my CAM clamp, I picked up a full babolat toolset from drak specifically to get the CAM clamp. As a bonus, it had a sweet setting off tool, which I now find is extremely valuable in my tool kit.

drakulie
10-20-2010, 06:27 PM
^^Glad to hear it is in good hands, and being enjoyed!