PDA

View Full Version : How do you cope with an opponent who are whiner

Tennisborg
10-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Sometimes youíll find an opponent who are a whiner either when He/she win or lose during or after the match.
In my case the whiner usually about or say something (while in the court):
1. Ohh, too humid it is hard for me to play (yet he playing anyway).
2. Ahhh, the court is too dusty (we both know that before we play)
3. Ahhh, so much noise in here, I cannot focus (yet he won the game)
4. Ahh, I sweating too much, my palm too sweaty (yet he is still playing )
5. I cannot control the ball, my string is too lose (Why didnít you restring it before we play)
6. The sun too bright, it is so distracting for me (duh, the day is sunny, wear sunglasses)
7. Maan, it is way too hot (or too cold) for me (yet he wonít quit playing)
8. Sorry, I am not playing well, I did not get enough sleep last night ( hey, you can always cancel and reschedule the match, donít waste my time)
9. The ball is not bouncy!! (we both know, they were fresh from the can, and they were not flat, he just hates my slice shots)
10. This is too windy (We know it before we play, and we agreed to play)
11. Uhhh, I am so tired (We just finished warm up, and still want to play)
Etc.

Usually, I just Ignore them with silence, since I know If I disagree with them it will be an ugly match instead of enjoying tennis.
BTW, in my younger days, once, I smacked a whiner with my racket, since he was so annoying. Well, those days are over now. :(
Tennis teaches me about discipline and sportsmanship. When I am in the court, it means I am ready to play responsibly and do my best as much as possible. If I am not ready or fit to play then I wonít play.

Do you have any story with those whiner in the court to share, and how do you cope with those kind of players.

Cindysphinx
10-18-2010, 01:55 PM
I say, "Oh, God. It's the *worst!*" Then they will focus on it even more.

struggle
10-18-2010, 03:28 PM
no response from me to my opponent about any of that nonsense.

i'm so mysterious.

OrangePower
10-18-2010, 03:50 PM
In one ear and out the other...

Wakenslam
10-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Join right in.

"Yeah, it is really hot in here! Somebody should open a window."

or

"I haven't slept in days. My boyfriend has been really wearing me out!"

mikeler
10-19-2010, 05:25 AM
Just agree with everything they say. You want your opponents focusing on these external things so you can beat the tar out of them.

tennisdad65
10-19-2010, 07:11 AM
Say the opposite and get into their heads :)

If they say:
It is way too hot for me.

You say:
I love the heat. I can run all day in the heat. This will cause them to give up a lot sooner :)

sphinx780
10-19-2010, 12:00 PM
+1 for saying something that keeps them focused on anything but their tennis. Heck, if you really want to add some fun, add to it. 'It is humid, and did you notice that cross court breeze that's picking up now and again too?!?'

There's no such thing as dirty pool when it comes to tennis, right?

split-step
10-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Join right in.

or

OMG! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Tennisborg
10-19-2010, 07:20 PM
OMG! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Join right in.

or

LOL LOL that is LOL.......hahahahhahahah....:) So, it was...hmmm ... wearing him out? hahahahahahah No wonder, it must be hot inside there. However, It can be a good excuse for multiple double faults.

Sorry can't help my self LOL LOL:)

Sakkijarvi
10-19-2010, 08:45 PM
Just played a guy that said, "G_d, I'm so hung over." I said, "me too." Said he had a bad ankle, ran around like a jackrabbit. Told him I had an ankle injury, "could barely move." After I beat him, told him, "you're the better player."

whomad15
10-19-2010, 09:55 PM
either go with it and comment on things to distract them, or go silent. or sometimes complain at them about which external factors that you cant control are totally destroying your game that day.

people like that remind me of a couple years ago playing video games with a friend, anytime he lost "WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS CONTROLLER, NOTHING IS WORKING RIGHT"
had a guy on my highschool team that would throw his racquet down at scream "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU," but that was just funny to watch.

Ken Honecker
10-20-2010, 04:59 AM
I don't mind the other team whinning because that just makes them more fun to beat but God I hate it when my team whines. We have one gal in softball who is never happy, always complaining about them fielding her hits or people not throwing her the ball or whatever. She is a nice enough person but I'm to the point where I wish she would retire if she doesn't enjoy anything about the game.

Sentinel
10-20-2010, 05:09 AM
Ask Federer.

He'll have some good tips. ;)

beernutz
10-20-2010, 07:56 AM
Just played a guy that said, "G_d, I'm so hung over." I said, "me too." Said he had a bad ankle, ran around like a jackrabbit. Told him I had an ankle injury, "could barely move." After I beat him, told him, "you're the better player."
That is funny, I don't care who you are.

Jeffy005
10-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Sometimes youíll find an opponent who are a whiner either when He/she win or lose during or after the match.
In my case the whiner usually about or say something (while in the court):
1. Ohh, too humid it is hard for me to play (yet he playing anyway).
2. Ahhh, the court is too dusty (we both know that before we play)
3. Ahhh, so much noise in here, I cannot focus (yet he won the game)
4. Ahh, I sweating too much, my palm too sweaty (yet he is still playing )
5. I cannot control the ball, my string is too lose (Why didnít you restring it before we play)
6. The sun too bright, it is so distracting for me (duh, the day is sunny, wear sunglasses)
7. Maan, it is way too hot (or too cold) for me (yet he wonít quit playing)
8. Sorry, I am not playing well, I did not get enough sleep last night ( hey, you can always cancel and reschedule the match, donít waste my time)
9. The ball is not bouncy!! (we both know, they were fresh from the can, and they were not flat, he just hates my slice shots)
10. This is too windy (We know it before we play, and we agreed to play)
11. Uhhh, I am so tired (We just finished warm up, and still want to play)
Etc.

Usually, I just Ignore them with silence, since I know If I disagree with them it will be an ugly match instead of enjoying tennis.
BTW, in my younger days, once, I smacked a whiner with my racket, since he was so annoying. Well, those days are over now. :(
Tennis teaches me about discipline and sportsmanship. When I am in the court, it means I am ready to play responsibly and do my best as much as possible. If I am not ready or fit to play then I wonít play.

Do you have any story with those whiner in the court to share, and how do you cope with those kind of players.

1. Ohh, too humid it is hard for me to play (yet he playing anyway). - ANSWER = Well get a portable air conditioner then.
2. Ahhh, the court is too dusty (we both know that before we play) - ANSWER = Well get a broom then clean it up then.
3. Ahhh, so much noise in here, I cannot focus (yet he won the game) - ANSWER = Well tell them to SHUT THE F UP....
4. Ahh, I sweating too much, my palm too sweaty (yet he is still playing ) - ANSWER = Then wipe it off
5. I cannot control the ball, my string is too lose (Why didnít you restring it before we play) - ANSWER = You just suck!
6. The sun too bright, it is so distracting for me (duh, the day is sunny, wear sunglasses) - Answer = Same answer....
7. Maan, it is way too hot (or too cold) for me (yet he wonít quit playing) - ANSWER = Shut The Hell Up
8. Sorry, I am not playing well, I did not get enough sleep last night ( hey, you can always cancel and reschedule the match, donít waste my time) - ANSWER = Well why didn't you sleep early last night.
9. The ball is not bouncy!! (we both know, they were fresh from the can, and they were not flat, he just hates my slice shots) - ANSWER = Again Shut the Hell Up
10. This is too windy (We know it before we play, and we agreed to play) - ANSWER = You are gay.
11. Uhhh, I am so tired (We just finished warm up, and still want to play) - ANSWER = Drink GATORADE!

Tell those things to him since he tells you too much CRAP!!!! Cmon man SPEAK UP!!!:twisted::twisted:

jayserinos99
10-20-2010, 10:11 AM
I found this one funny: "I hate Prince balls! These balls don't have enough spin!"

jayserinos99
10-20-2010, 10:19 AM
What I hate is when people discredit my game because I'm lefty and hit with a bit of spin...but indirectly. It goes like this:

"Man, Nadal would never beat Federer if he wasn't lefty. All that lefty junk is so effin' weird."

"So what you're saying is that lefties are lesser people because we have this unfair advantage?"

tennis tom
10-20-2010, 10:27 AM
I found this one funny: "I hate Prince balls! These balls don't have enough spin!"

I'm liking the Prince balls, maybe as good or better than Dunlop Gran Prixs. I'm finding they are quality made and lasting very long. I've used them for rec play a week after opening and they've stayed firm and the felt cover is long lasting.

As far as spin, the ball has nothing to do with that, it's technique and swing speed that imparts the spin.

mikeler
10-20-2010, 10:32 AM

That's very funny considering that Prince balls bounce higher than all the other brands!

borg number one
10-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Just go with the flow when faced with players like that. Play your game and don't let it all distract you. Often, it's gamesmanship, disguised as "complaining". When that happens, I get very confident as to my prospects, if I just play my game. Don't let that player "bring your level" down so to speak.

Gemini
10-20-2010, 10:45 AM
I hit with a guy like that. I just ignore it. It only makes me push harder to make them give in.

jayserinos99
10-20-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm liking the Prince balls, maybe as good or better than Dunlop Gran Prixs. I'm finding they are quality made and lasting very long. I've used them for rec play a week after opening and they've stayed firm and the felt cover is long lasting.

As far as spin, the ball has nothing to do with that, it's technique and swing speed that imparts the spin.

I know it's all about technique and swing speed and that's why I find it really funny b/c of how finicky one gets over tennis balls.

As for my tennis ball preference, I still think Prince balls are quite good but I've been using Pro Penn+ Extra Duty balls lately and they're ranking up there with the Prince and Grand Prixs for best ball for me.

Jeffy005
10-21-2010, 05:41 AM

Don't have enough spin?!!! wahhaha..... crazy crazy....

mikeler
10-21-2010, 10:21 AM
I know it's all about technique and swing speed and that's why I find it really funny b/c of how finicky one gets over tennis balls.

As for my tennis ball preference, I still think Prince balls are quite good but I've been using Pro Penn+ Extra Duty balls lately and they're ranking up there with the Prince and Grand Prixs for best ball for me.

I'm with you on those ball choices. I just hate when people leave balls in their trunk for 3 months and they are dead out of the can.

I hit a great crosscourt backhand dropshot today and my opponent complained that I was not even trying to hit that shot. I politely told him that was exactly the shot I was going for.

Fuji
10-21-2010, 05:50 PM
I'm a mean spirited person when I play tennis LOL! I mostly play outdoor, so whenever someone complains about the heat/humidity, I just make them run even more. I get into a comfy position and just make them run back and forth along the baseline all day long. I don't go for winners unless I absolutely have to, I just let them complain more and more.... Bahahaha!