PDA

View Full Version : Gripes about the Slazenger Pro X1

SyraLeo
06-04-2005, 09:27 AM
Anyone using this stick? I'm using it , and i have quite a bit of lead at 3 and 9 o'clock. Aside from my lousy volleys(my fault , not the racquet) , i actually like this racquet , easy to move around , very very comfortable to use compared to my old nCode 95.

What do you think this racquet is lacking in? Need some opinions to reassure myself in getting a second pro x1 as racquets are not cost-friendly for me now. :(

FuriousYellow
06-04-2005, 09:52 AM
I have one for sale, cheap. Contact me for more details if you're interested.

furiousyellow@gmail.com

louis netman
06-04-2005, 10:25 AM
I just bought two of them. Had one awhile back and my gripe was string breakage as I broke through gut in short order. Not the greatest experience on groundies, but the racket is a true natural at volleys and slice. S/V, chip & charge is effortless, even without lead. I will be weighting mine to 365 12pts HL. I'm going 15g gut with Sensation cross this time...Also, not as comfortable on off center shots as my Volkls... Get a racket to enhance your strengths. Don't get something to help your weaknesses....

Ryoma Kun
06-04-2005, 11:20 AM
i use the slazenger probraided henman (the black bronze and silver) and i love it. i have a total of 12g of lead at 3 and 9 using 3 gram golf weights. the racquet packs a good punch with this weight and i have used it for so long i don't notice how heavy it is now. i also have a babolat leather grip which my elbow take a beating on but increases the feel (the racquet alone has enough i know) by a lot.

to me this racquet lacks nothing except static weight, which was easily fixed.

i have 5 of the henmans and will keep them till they break.

Coda
06-04-2005, 11:34 AM
the only thing I can think of is that I can't find it locally meaning I can't get new ones the same day I need them.

SyraLeo
06-04-2005, 08:51 PM
I can't volley for nuts though , especially my backhand side , heh , anyway i'll be getting a new pro x1 , need to pre-order though , why doesn't slazenger increase their brand awareness anyway , this is a pretty good racquet..

Coda
06-05-2005, 12:04 AM
why doesn't slazenger increase their brand awareness anyway , this is a pretty good racquet..

it would seem like they can't fully compete with Wilson/Head/Prince, but I know they could take some market share away with more activity in the states

AndrewD
06-05-2005, 03:51 AM
louis netman (or others),

Ive heard quite a bit about how the X1 is a fantastic racquet for serving, volleying and slice shots. I was wondering how good, or bad, it is when trying to generate topspin. Not heavy, excessive top but enough to pin someone at the back of the court or execute a good topspin lob. Im not a big topspinner and hit mostly flat with good slice on approach shots but topspin does come in handy during rallies and on return of serve. As I dont generate massive racquet head speed on my groundstrokes (more on the backhand side than the forehand) I dont want something that requires me to dramatically increase that swing speed to generate only a reasonable amount of top.

Im currently using an LM Prestige mid and find I can generate good spin - top and slice- with that so you can use that as a yardstick. My only gripe with the LM is that it isn't quite as good as Id like at net and wondered how the X1 might go as a replacement.

Yes, the X1 is quite a bit stiffer so I was going to ask about its comfort levels as well.

SyraLeo
06-05-2005, 05:59 AM
Top spin is... pretty good , i'm not sure about you but i use the semi-eastern grip and spin is relatively good. But with a full western grip you can go all out and the ball will still end up slightly before the middle of the baseline. I switch grips when i'm near the net so yea , spin is pretty good.

As for comfort.. , i had an nCode 95 team 18X20 strung with synthetic , multi , poly , all gave me wrist pains if i played for 2 days continuously , the slazenger gave me none of that , i can't even feel the shock most of the time , gotta love it.

louis netman
06-05-2005, 11:36 AM
Andrew D., my X1's are in transit. Won't be able to get into them until later this week. However, I had one a few months ago and it had excellent topspin potential, I just felt the racket wouldn't be economically feasible in terms of me breaking my gut too often due to the open pattern. If you haven't done so already, read the comparative review that 'nobadmojo' did a few months back. You can find it on the TW page that lists the X1. The review is pretty spot on, as is most of his commentary about rackets...

GregOz
06-06-2005, 03:39 AM
Andrew,

You're in the Hall of Fame now?

Im sure the guys at the club will be very entertained to hear that LOL. We'll be expecting a HoF performance from you this weekend, if youre over that calf injury. Nothing less than some straight set wins or its back to the rookie list for you LOL

By the way, the X1 is a nice frame with good spin and very fine up at net. Not sure if it would suit you completely and think you migh lose some weight off that backhand of yours. You'll get more spin but not the same kind of heft. Worth a try though and perhaps you could give it a go in comparison to one of the Wilson frames.