PDA

View Full Version : My forehand

eric
06-04-2005, 10:07 AM
Lately my forehand has been horrendous. My grip seems to be slipping further western (normally it is semi-western to western) and I am not trying to move it there. But, I have not been able to get good spin consistently so many of my shots sail long. Moving more western needs more racquet speed otherwise the face will stay open, correct? That is probably the problem. But, for the reason my grip is randomly changing would my grip have anything to do with it? I had 4 1/4 w/ 1 overgrip and used a shrink sleeve to have 4 3/8 w/ 1 overgrip now. I have heard pros w/ western forehands use small grips (e.g. nadal), maybe for a western stroke a smaller grip is better? Thoughts?

Thank you very much

tennismx
06-04-2005, 05:11 PM
my thought is........i'm ready to get off this fricken computer.........these long posts wear me out. good luck with finding your answer. i know somebody here can help you. anybody here can help eric??? much appreciated!!

BigbangerNYC
06-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Lately my forehand has been horrendous. My grip seems to be slipping further western (normally it is semi-western to western) and I am not trying to move it there. But, I have not been able to get good spin consistently so many of my shots sail long. Moving more western needs more racquet speed otherwise the face will stay open, correct? That is probably the problem. But, for the reason my grip is randomly changing would my grip have anything to do with it? I had 4 1/4 w/ 1 overgrip and used a shrink sleeve to have 4 3/8 w/ 1 overgrip now. I have heard pros w/ western forehands use small grips (e.g. nadal), maybe for a western stroke a smaller grip is better? Thoughts?

Thank you very much

NO ... MOVING THE GRIP MORE WESTERN WILL CLOSE MORE THA RACQUET FACE. MOVING MORE EASTERN WILL CAUSE THE FACE TO OPEN MORE.

YOU SHOULD HIT YOUR FOREHANDS WITH A WESTERN OR AT LEAST A SEMI-WESTERN GRIP. TODAY VIRTUALLY NO PROS HIT THEIR FOREHANDS WILL A CONTINENTAL GRIP ANY MORE.

YOUR PROBLEM PROBABLY IS CAUSE BY HITTING THE BALL COMPLETELY FLAT OR VERY LITTLE TOPSPIN. YOU WILL NEED TO PUT MORE TOPSPIN ON THE BALL, AND TO DO THIS, YOU'LL NEED TO BRUSH UP ON THE BALL MORE AND PUT YOUR SHOULDER INTO IT WHILE LIFTING YOUR FORE LEG AND ROTATING YOUR HIP AT THE SAME TIME TO GENERATE POWER. REMEMBER, SINCE THE CONTACT ON THE BALL IS NOT STRAIGHT ON LIKE A FLAT SHOT, YOU'LL NEED TO DO ALL I HAVE JUST MENTIONED TO GENERATE VELOCITY.

ONE MORE THING: A TOPSPIN SHOT FLY A BIT SLOWER THAN FLAT, BUT IT DIPS MUCH FASTER, BOUNCES HIGHER AFTER HITTING THE COURT, AND FEELS MUCH HEAVIER TO RETURN, AND LAND MORE IN BECAUSE IT DIPS INSTEAD OF SAILS, SO A TOPSPIN SHOT IS ALMOST A MUST.

SINCE TOPSPIN SHOTS DIP FAST, YOU CAN HIT THEM MORE THAN A FOOT ABOVE THE NET AND IT WILL STILL BE TOUGH FOR YOUR OPPONENT TO ATTACK.... AND BY BEING ABLE TO DO THIS, YOU'LL DECREASE YOUR NETTING THE BALL.

IN SUM, A TOPSPIN OR BETTER YET A HEAVY TOPSPIN FOREHAND HAS ALL THE ADVANTAGES AND IT MUST BE IN YOUR ARSENAL IF YOU WANT TO BE BETTER AS A COMPETITOR.

REGARDING PROS USING SMALLER GRIP, THE ANSWER IS NO. THEY ALL USE THE RIGHT GRIP SIZE. TOO SMALL A GRIP WILL FORCE YOU TO SQUEEZE THE RACQUET MORE DURING CONTACT FOR ALL SHOTS, WHICH FORCES YOU TO TIGHTEN UP THE MUSCLES, WHICH IS NOT GOOD FOR TENNIS STROKES AND COUNTERPRODUCTIVE, SINCE TENNIS IS ALL ABOUT FLUIDITY.

GOOD LUCK

GOOD LUCK.

MegacedU
06-04-2005, 07:05 PM
I would have said to try a bigger grip. But man, that's a lot of capital letters.

MChong
06-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Man, is your caps lock broken? Please, try to be a little bit civilized and type as you should.

It might not be a bad thing that it's going western; maybe you're body is trying to find a more comfortable shot. Anyways, you should practice a bit and see how it turns out; the same thing happened to me a long time ago. I took a hiatus from tennis and came back using a different grip, naturally, and it works fine.

BigbangerNYC
06-08-2005, 04:51 AM
I would have said to try a bigger grip. But man, that's a lot of capital letters.

Truly apologize but yes, my Cap Lock got stuck because of coke-spill. I finally popped the keys and clean the entire keyboard, all becasue of you guys. Thanks.

Best,