PDA

View Full Version : Stringway Babolat Retainer

Kevo
10-19-2010, 08:34 AM
I've noticed on some frames that the Babolat retainer is not such a great support. The wedge shape can apply pressure vertically to the throat of the frame rather than simply opposing the pulling force of the mains.

The two separate supports work well most of the time instead of the Babolat retainer, but on some frames the throat is rounded and smaller than the outside beam width. On these frames the Babolat retainer is really the only choice, and on some of the frames if you're not careful the problem I mentioned before occurs, and in some cases I think it is unavoidable.

What I would like is something similar to the Babolat retainer but with a more vertical center post like most 6 point systems have. I thought about trying to modify the existing retainer, but I think it might not work quite right with the dimensions and the throat would move too far forward on the mounting platform.

Has anyone else noticed this, and what if anything did you do about it?

Darkhors
10-19-2010, 12:24 PM
If the racket is properly mounted, the retainer does it's job just fine. Think of the retainer as a K-support that's putting force on the inside top/bottom of the throat. That type of support will not allow the racket to move inward when tension is applied.

Make sure you're moving your tower back far enough for the retainer to work properly. I've had to use the retainer for non-babolat rackets before because their frames were too thin and rounded for the circle inserts to work properly.

Good Luck,

DH

Kevo
10-19-2010, 02:39 PM
The problem is when you tighten the hold downs. On some frames the bottom wedge of the retainer forces the throat away from the center support then when stringing it is pulled back up again. It's fairly slight, but I've noticed it on a few frames now. I'm not sure if it's enough to cause problems, but I think it would be easier to get rid of the wedge and make it more like the straight piece at the 12 o'clock position. I'm guessing a lot of people miss this when mounting certain frames. I only noticed it because I happened to have a blocked hole and noticed a gap between the top of the "k" and the throat. Then I started looking for it, and noticed several frames have a tendency to do that when the hold downs are tightened.

Technatic
10-19-2010, 11:06 PM
Hi Kevo,

It is important that the retainer can search its own positiion in vertical direction so that the upper and lower part of the V hit the racquet.
When the retainer can move down it can not lift the racquet.

Make sure you screw the adjusting bolts down enough.

Darkhors
10-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Technatic is right, make sure you're adjusting the bolts that hold the retainer. You will need to adjust those to desired level. What I do is I mount the racket with the four top mounts losely, but tight enough that the racket isn't moving around. Then I adjust the retainer bolts to the correct level, then I finish tightening the direct supports. This should help you get rid of that "slack" that you're experiencing.

DH

Kevo
10-20-2010, 05:01 PM
I have the retainer so that it's sitting flat on the pedestal. I think the problem is that the center of the V is so deep. I think it doesn't need to be that deep.

Next time I get a frame that is prone to the issue I'll try to take pictures. It will probably be difficult to see, but I'll do my best. I will probably end up modifying the one I have slightly. I think it will work I just don't want to mess it up. I'm guessing if I need to I could buy a second retainer.

Technatic
10-20-2010, 08:39 PM
If you think that the part can be approved just send Stringway the pictures and they will certainly look at it. They are very open minded to comments of users.

You can contact them from their site.

Darkhors
10-21-2010, 10:31 AM
I have the retainer so that it's sitting flat on the pedestal. I think the problem is that the center of the V is so deep. I think it doesn't need to be that deep.

Next time I get a frame that is prone to the issue I'll try to take pictures. It will probably be difficult to see, but I'll do my best. I will probably end up modifying the one I have slightly. I think it will work I just don't want to mess it up. I'm guessing if I need to I could buy a second retainer.

I have to string one of AS's this weekend, I'll take a look at mine to see if I have space in there, but if you just have the retainer sitting flush on the pedestal that may not be the correct level that it needs to be at. Another thing to try is to push the racket all the way into the middle of the retainer, then adjust then adjust the tower so that the top of the racket mounts properly for the two inside mounts. If I can take pic's I will. Let us know how it's going.

DH

Darkhors
10-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Just wanted to give an update on my findings for you. I strung both my AS's this weekend and I did notice that when I mount the racket, I do push it in towards the retainer so that it's making full contact. Maybe try and see what your outcome is.

DH

Kevo
10-27-2010, 02:26 PM
I think the problem just has to do with different beam widths in throat and bridge. I haven't strung a problem frame in a couple of weeks, so I can't say if your suggestion would completely solve the problem or not. When I mount frames I like to leave the head tower all the way to the end of the table and only move the throat tower. That way I get less angle on the first throat pulls. This means I push the tower/retainer into the throat of the racquet instead of the racquet into the retainer.

I also have noticed on my PSLs that the 12 o'clock support is just a little too tall in the curved cutaway on either side of the center support. On my PSLs I have to be careful to put them in so the grommets are flared out up and to the sides. If I'm not, they get pushed into the frame. I imagine this would be a more serious problem on the new 15mm Donnay frames. My guess is the simple solution would be a couple of leather pads to raise the frame up a little.

Darkhors
10-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Kevo, could point on the tower movement. I never thought about that, but I'm going to use that technique on the next rackets I string. I don't move the top tower now, but I've never moved it from the original location.

I see what you mean about the top center support and the beam height. Good luck and let me know how things go.

DH