PDA

View Full Version : Should I get rated by a pro before I enter tournaments?

jon166
06-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Should I, I assume I'm a 3.0 player, is it okay to make this assumption?

Also, I'm scared that If i'm rated, I'm not really in a tournament type setting, so I will get rated for more than I am..

goober
06-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Well around where I am 3.0 is the lowest rating for tournaments. Just go enter the tourney and see how you do. Why pay somebody?

tennis-n-sc
06-04-2005, 01:57 PM
If it is a USTA tournamant, you self rate. Your competition will tell you how accurate you were.

moosryan
06-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Just show up and play. if you win, you're probably at least a 3.5. If you get murdered, you may be a 2.5. It's that simple.

Mahboob Khan
06-04-2005, 07:33 PM
After 4-5 tournaments you will know your abilities. However, at some point you may want to rate yourself because it offers other benefits. Log on to: www.oncourtassessment.com. This is the ITF's ITN (international tennis number).

cak
06-05-2005, 07:02 AM
After 4-5 tournaments you will know your abilities. However, at some point you may want to rate yourself because it offers other benefits.

If you are playing USTA in the US after a few tournaments you will know your playing abilities. If you are having competitive matches, that's your level. If you are bageling people you are playing low, if you are getting bagelled you are playing too high. If you can't figure it out at the end of the year the USTA computer will figure it out for you, and you will get your computer rating.

Beware the various "rate yourself" tables. They only count strokes, not game strategy or mental toughness. Real matches with real opponents and real scores give you a much better picture.

tennis-n-sc
06-05-2005, 09:54 AM
In most USTA adult tournaments, if not all, you must have a rating when you enter, either self-rated or computer generated. Otherwise, you go into the open sections or age divisions. You cannot enter several tournaments and then decide what your rating is. At least that is the way it is in the Southern Section. Most tournamants have NTRP divisions, age divisions, and open divisions. I wouldn't recommend the open or agen divisions for someone just starting out.

International Tennis Numb
07-07-2005, 08:44 PM
I suggest you do an ITN On Court Assessment which is an objective method to find out your true level of play.

Go to www.oncourtassessment.com to find out more information.

Then download the ITN conversion chart at www.itftennis.com/itn

x Southpaw x
07-07-2005, 09:21 PM
If it is a USTA tournamant, you self rate. Your competition will tell you how accurate you were.

How do the judges decide what rating you are? What if you are a 4.5 and you rate yourself 4.5 and an opponent at 5.5 rates himself 4.5 and utterly destroys you... you become a 4.0 instead?

goober
07-07-2005, 09:32 PM
How do the judges decide what rating you are? What if you are a 4.5 and you rate yourself 4.5 and an opponent at 5.5 rates himself 4.5 and utterly destroys you... you become a 4.0 instead?

A 5.5 level player will know his rating and will not play 2 levels below at a 4.5 level tourney unless he sandbagging. 5.5 level players play in open level tourneys and are highly skilled players generally with Division 1 college experience. Although sandbagging does occur it is very rare for somebody to sandbag down two levels because the difference in skill level will be so obivous and the player will be bumped up a level at the end of the tourney season. Anyways you don't change your rating based on one opponent. It is based on the results from multiple oppoenents over multiple tourneys/leagues matches, ect.