PDA

View Full Version : Mounts get tighter as you string?

Kyle7286
10-20-2010, 03:14 PM
I was curious.. and I notice this as a string any racquet. Usually during stringing, lets say after the Mains are done.. I notice that the 6 and 12 o'clock mounting posts are a lot tighter than i originally set them.

Does anyone else experience this?

It takes ALOT of strength to get them to loosen up and I fear it may be warping the racquets.

Wondering if anyone has some comments on this.

I use a Progression ST II Gamma 6 point crank machine.

topanlego
10-20-2010, 03:23 PM
It's normal. The amount of tension on the mains combined is tremendous. After stringing the mains, the pressure should be relieved. Is it still that tight after stringing the crosses?

Also, you can just measure the racquet with a measuring tape. If the length and width are the same then you have no problems.

Kyle7286
10-20-2010, 03:25 PM
well... the last racquet i did it got really tight after the mains but when did the crosses it was surprisingly easy to untighten.

There have been a few racquets where after doing the crosses it took quite a bit of torque to loosen them up.

I alwasy make sure the mounts are just snug enough to keep the racquet in place.

diredesire
10-20-2010, 03:26 PM
That's how 6 point (outside) mounts are designed, the outside points don't actually DO anything UNTIL the racquet is deformed!

If you're experiencing seriously tight 6/12 mounting points, then you probably have a bit of a problem, make sure the outer points are mounted pretty securely (it should be firm, but it shouldn't take more force than your index finger and thumb are capable of).

Kyle7286
10-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Hmmmm ill check the next time a string about how firm the outside mounts are.

diredesire
10-20-2010, 03:42 PM
well... the last racquet i did it got really tight after the mains but when did the crosses it was surprisingly easy to untighten.

There have been a few racquets where after doing the crosses it took quite a bit of torque to loosen them up.

I alwasy make sure the mounts are just snug enough to keep the racquet in place.

It's hard to tell whether or not you're tightening it to a reasonable amount... if you're checking directly after the mains... DON'T. If you have a problem after the crosses, then you have room to be concerned, but you really shouldn't be fiddling with anything after the mains. If you're really sweating it, take some measurements beforehand.

Remember, firm, but not too hard.

Kyle7286
10-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. Just needed reassurance.