PDA

View Full Version : Base of swivel clamps problem...

Jonny S&V
10-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Hey all, I own an Alpha Revo 4000 and I've had to do a lot of adjusting with the base of the clamps in order to get them to lock. I've tightened the screws as much as possible and it still isn't enough to get them to lock. I'm using electrical tape so that it can lock, but this is obviously a short-term solution.

Anyone have suggestions? I'm not against calling up Alpha if I need to...

struggle
10-20-2010, 06:28 PM
so what exactly have you tried? you'll find help here, but be abit more specific.

so you tried the fine adjustment (set type) screw?

and what are you doing with the electrical tape?

jim e
10-20-2010, 06:36 PM
I have a different machine, but I do have swivel bases. There are 2 adjustment areas on mine. One is directly underneath the center of the base rails. There is a nut that can be tightened. Then there is a fine adjustmet with the plastic plug that you remove on the side, then align the plug opening at a right angle to the rail, and insert the proper wrench (I think it is 3mm hex, but not sure, as I am not with my machine at this time), this adj. is to make the switch just an easy push to center to hold is all. The one underneath is most likely loose on yours, I would guess, if it is at all like my machine. Good luck!

Jonny S&V
10-20-2010, 06:37 PM
so what exactly have you tried? you'll find help here, but be abit more specific.

so you tried the fine adjustment (set type) screw?

and what are you doing with the electrical tape?

I thought I was being specific... :-/

I put thin strips of electrical tape on the T-shaped bar so that it would be able to grab the track and lockout. I bought this second-hand, and everything was in working condition, but I'm really confused, I think I might take pics if I can tonight... :-/

Lakers4Life
10-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Check out this video by fellow member alcheng on how to adjust the base clamps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4ANJb1Psqo

You may be missing a locking nut that keeps the T-Slot nut from losing the setting.

Jonny S&V
10-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Check out this video by fellow member alcheng on how to adjust the base clamps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4ANJb1Psqo

You may be missing a locking nut that keeps the T-Slot nut from losing the setting.

About 15 min ago, 30 min into my exploration of the machine, I figured this out. Thank you very much, this would've helped tremendously if I hadn't spent 30 min figuring it out... :neutral:

blastforehand
10-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Original seller of used machine here. Hi Johnny S and V, I am pretty sure the bottom t bar thing under the rails is just fine. It doesn't really adjust by tightening the two bottom hex screws. They simply hold it tight. Adjustment of the t bar thing is made by either adding very thin washers to the inside of the hex screws or by filing down the top of the t bar thing with a metal file. If you ever take the bottom t bar off you will see two raised, rough areas on the top. This is for filing at the factory to get to near enough spec, and would very likely only ever need to be done one time. Unless something crazy has happened, my guess is yours are just fine, best to leave alone.

On the other hand, as you have already figured out, it is tricky at first to adjust the screw that is accessed from the plug on the side. Once you get the feel it takes five seconds. That is a good tip to take the top cap off so you can see and feel better what is happening when adjusting.

One other tip regarding Revo base clamps I haven't seen anywhere else. On the two Revo 4000's I have taken apart, I noticed that the small adjustment screws that you access from the side (the proper one) have a small amout of Loctite (threadlock) on the very end of the threads. I am pretty sure this is not to lock the adjustment (which wouldn't work), but to increase friction so adjustments have to be made less often. If I were to do this I might use a small amount of lower strength Loctite (if I had some on hand) and work the threads after 24 hours of anaerobic drying before installing so friction is increased but nothing is locked.

Jonny S&V
10-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Original seller of used machine here. Hi Johnny S and V, I am pretty sure the bottom t bar thing under the rails is just fine. It doesn't really adjust by tightening the two bottom hex screws. They simply hold it tight. Adjustment of the t bar thing is made by either adding very thin washers to the inside of the hex screws or by filing down the top of the t bar thing with a metal file. If you ever take the bottom t bar off you will see two raised, rough areas on the top. This is for filing at the factory to get to near enough spec, and would very likely only ever need to be done one time. Unless something crazy has happened, my guess is yours are just fine, best to leave alone.

On the other hand, as you have already figured out, it is tricky at first to adjust the screw that is accessed from the plug on the side. Once you get the feel it takes five seconds. That is a good tip to take the top cap off so you can see and feel better what is happening when adjusting.

One other tip regarding Revo base clamps I haven't seen anywhere else. On the two Revo 4000's I have taken apart, I noticed that the small adjustment screws that you access from the side (the proper one) have a small amout of Loctite (threadlock) on the very end of the threads. I am pretty sure this is not to lock the adjustment (which wouldn't work), but to increase friction so adjustments have to be made less often. If I were to do this I might use a small amount of lower strength Loctite (if I had some on hand) and work the threads after 24 hours of anaerobic drying before installing so friction is increased but nothing is locked.

Thanks a lot BF, you've been a great help. I'll look into the Loctite for sure, and it was quite frustrating to learn that the solution was so simple however... :-|