PDA

View Full Version : Used Prince Neos 100---advice needed

Spatula
10-21-2010, 05:44 AM
I have an opportunity to purchase a used neos 1000 from a local club that upgraded to a big dawg gamma machine.

My question is...what aspects of the machine should I focus my inspection on? I'm sure they will let me take it home and string a few frames on it/put it through the paces.

Initial thoughts:

-Clamps: hold string secure, move across glide bars smooth
-Tension head: again hold string secure, lock out, smooth function, etc. I need to get a tension gauge/calibrator though.

What else would the community here suggest I look at closely?

Thanks for the help!

struggle
10-21-2010, 05:45 AM
price?

10 char

Spatula
10-21-2010, 05:48 AM
To be determined still based upon inspection.

MAX PLY
10-21-2010, 05:56 AM
If it was well maintained, there is not a lot that could have gone wrong or that's not easily fixed. First thing I would do would be to download the Neos Instruction manual from the TW website (I think there is a link from the Neos section in Stringing Machines on the retail site) and familiarize yourself with the machine. The manual will give you an idea of how it works and a checklist for the parts that should be there. Second, check out how clean the machine is--see if there is any rust (none of that should be a problem but you need to be aware-it also gives you an idea as to how well the machine was maintained). Finally, take the machine through its paces on a frame or two. Check the tension (perhaps the current owner has a calibrator but you should eventually buy your own)--if it is off, the manual shows you how to adjust. If there is slippage with the clamps or tension head, clean first before adjusting anything.

What is their asking price? How old is the machine?

If you come across a specific item, list it here and I might be able to assist. Good luck.

Spatula
10-21-2010, 06:01 AM
Thanks MAX PLY! All good advice. Was reading through the manuals already (probably as you were typing).

I'll find out about the age of the machine, estimated # of frames strung on it, any maintenance/part replacement that has been done and issues they may have with it. The director hasn't given me an asking price yet, but he's very cool and I'm sure would hook me up as they have no need for it anymore.

It's at a local club and hasn't been used in about a year now as they upgraded to a slick new Gamma 5800.

struggle
10-21-2010, 06:10 AM
sounds like you may have a deal coming your way!!

i agree with MAXPLY, those machines are built like tanks and
although not much goes wrong, they easily repaired and well
worth it, IMO.

good luck.

beernutz
10-21-2010, 07:04 AM
My advice, take a racquet and mount it to see it can be securely mounted and held down.

If you have a digital fish scale or other calibration tool take that and check the accuracy. Pulling a string will also help you assess whether the gripper is functioning appropriately.

Make sure the tension release bar moves easily once tension is pulled.

Check the brake and the length adjustment mechanisms to be sure they work.

These things are built like tanks and hopefully yours will be in as good shape as mine was. I paid $500 and the guy I bought it from claimed it had been used less than 30 times.