PDA

View Full Version : Djokovic Syndrome

RogerRacket111
10-21-2010, 11:14 AM
I seem to have a serve bouncing problem. I don't quite bounce as much as Djokovic but I do tend to bounce more than others. I don't take any other breaks to wipe off or pickup up good balls. I think I bounce from 5 - 10 times depending on the situation.

The bouncing time is when I feel like I'm settling down and getting my thought process of what serve, which location, what toss etc. Its a time for visualization and when I feel ready I go.

Have any of you had this problem? How many bounces are one too many and If any of you have had the same issue how have u got over it?

I have tried to force not to bounce much almost go no bounce but I just don't end up serving well. I also try to compensate by staring my preparation well before my opponent is ready to receive so I don't have him waiting.

nadalfan4life
10-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Yeah i have this syndrome to the extreme. I take a good five to ten seconds celaring m mind for the next point and the whole time I am bouncing the ball, then i can't stop bouncing the ball for some reason so I bounce it for another five to seven seconds and then finally serve the ball. Sometimes it takes even longer cause I will bounce one badd and have to completely redo it. haha

cknobman
10-21-2010, 11:24 AM
I have the opposite problem.

I find my self rushing to the service line at hitting my serve like its some kind of race and the fastest one to do so gets a prize.

LOL I am trying to force myself into at least 2 bounces before each serve.

Annika
10-21-2010, 11:27 AM
When I remember and I feel I'm rushing, I will start to bounce the ball 5-6X at most. It slows me down and I begin to focus on my shots more. It's always worked but I don't always remember!

jdawgg
10-21-2010, 12:09 PM
I seem to have a serve bouncing problem.

Interesting... you see it as a problem. Why? Worried about what your opponent thinks? Who cares! Bouncing the ball and taking a few deep breaths really helps me settle down and play better -- I see it as a positive thing.

RogerRacket111
10-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Interesting... you see it as a problem. Why? Worried about what your opponent thinks? Who cares! Bouncing the ball and taking a few deep breaths really helps me settle down and play better -- I see it as a positive thing.

So what is the maximum number of acceptable amount of bounces for a serve?

I do use it to my advantage sometimes, I will serve in just 1 or 2 bounces and throw of my opponent a bit because they didn't expect I was done bouncing so fast.

On the down side you can feel it affecting your lower back if you are in the bouncing position too long.

I think main goal is to feel settled down and ready to go. I think good serving is a deliberate process of choosing the right serve and keeping your opponent out of balance and that does take time for me.

dizzlmcwizzl
10-21-2010, 01:59 PM
I do use it to my advantage sometimes, I will serve in just 1 or 2 bounces and throw of my opponent a bit because they didn't expect I was done bouncing so fast.

This is just poor sportsmanship. Instead of trying to be so subtle why dont you just tell your opponent his mother wears combat boots before each point begins.

In all things you should be fair to your opponent. This is the guiding priniciple of every rule in sports. Using head games to gain an advantage is just bush league stuff. If you cannot beat your opponent in a fair match then you should spend your time working on your game rather than determining the appropriate number of bounces to use on big points.

tennis tom
10-21-2010, 02:24 PM
So what is the maximum number of acceptable amount of bounces for a serve?

On the down side you can feel it affecting your lower back if you are in the bouncing position too long.

I think main goal is to feel settled down and ready to go. I think good serving is a deliberate process of choosing the right serve and keeping your opponent out of balance and that does take time for me.

Don't know if there's a rule for how many bounces, I don't think so, but you have 20 seconds to get the serve off.

If you're radically changing the number of bounces, aiming to throw your opponent off, I think that would be against the code and considered gamesmanship, possibly fast serving.

When I'm bouncing the ball, I'm relaxed and standing up-right, I'm not hunched over. It's the opponent who is crouched with leg muscles tensed. The complaint against Joko was his opponents never knew when he would serve because of the erratic number of bounces he took and then he would suddenly serve. They felt fast served. And to my recollection of watching him, that's what it looked like. I can see why his opponents were griping.

I always bounce three times. You shouldn't be having to think a long time about where you are going to serve to as a reason to bounce a lot. Where you serve to is primarily dependent on what the score is, but that's too much to go into in this thread.

If you need time to reflect, do it before you take your service stance, while toweling off or walking around, bounce the ball a few times then so you don't need to bounce it as often when you assume the service position. Your opponents will appreciate not having to stay tensed in their receiving crouch position for a long time.

RogerRacket111
10-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Those are good tips I will try. Well I don't try to quick serve I would probably end up with a fault if I tried to. I hate being quick served on. When I play a quick server I normally will have the third ball to throw back at him or something when I walk back to receiving line or show my back or just raise a hand if they constantly try to quick serve.

dizzlmcwizzl
10-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Those are good tips I will try. Well I don't try to quick serve I would probably end up with a fault if I tried to. I hate being quick served on. When I play a quick server I normally will have the third ball to throw back at him or something when I walk back to receiving line or show my back or just raise a hand if they constantly try to quick serve.

Last time I was being quick served I did this and amazingly it worked. I said to the guy I was playing ...

"Dude, I know I am supposed to play at your pace but I cannot get ready in the amount of time you are giving me. Could you give me another second to get ready before you serve?" The guy said no problem and we had a great match from then on.

Cindysphinx
10-21-2010, 07:58 PM
I have become a Serial Tosser. I sometimes need to toss more than three times to get a toss I think I can hit.

New Pro has been working with me to cure my tossing woes. Step One was he told me I needed a routine, preferably one that would focus me on what my tossing arm was doing.

So now I step up to the line and do three bounces with my left hand. I then am to raise the arm (and racket) to shoulder height. From there I serve, taking care to release the ball at shoulder height.

Guess what? My double faults are now down to 0-1 per match, and my multiple tosses are way down. Three bounces has worked for me.

Still, I have sensed some impatience from opponents as I do my three bounces, even before second serves. I think doing many more than three is excessive, so maybe you ought to abbreviate things some?

Big_Dangerous
10-21-2010, 09:46 PM
I seem to have a serve bouncing problem. I don't quite bounce as much as Djokovic but I do tend to bounce more than others. I don't take any other breaks to wipe off or pickup up good balls. I think I bounce from 5 - 10 times depending on the situation.

The bouncing time is when I feel like I'm settling down and getting my thought process of what serve, which location, what toss etc. Its a time for visualization and when I feel ready I go.

Have any of you had this problem? How many bounces are one too many and If any of you have had the same issue how have u got over it?

I have tried to force not to bounce much almost go no bounce but I just don't end up serving well. I also try to compensate by staring my preparation well before my opponent is ready to receive so I don't have him waiting.

It's all rhythm man, and trying a new routine can really disrupt your rhythm. My pattern has been to bounce ball off the ground with my racket 7 times, then bounce it 4 times with my hand and then serve.

Don't how or why I arrived at those numbers, but I try to do that each time I serve a point.

tennis tom
10-21-2010, 09:52 PM
When I play a quick server I normally will have the third ball to throw back at him...

That's a good strategy to slow them down. I use that one too. The server should have all the balls. If I'm receiving against a fast server, I'll wait until I'm back at the baseline, in my corner, to return picked up balls to the server. I'll do it with a high trajectory thus allowing me enough time to prepare to receive.

If its doubles, most club players don't want all the balls, so they have to then give one to their partner, slowing the server down a bit more. After a while they seem to figure it out, looking before they serve to see if the third ball is coming their way and stop fast-serving.

I don't think the vast majority of fast servers do it deliberately to gain an advantage. They are primarily unaware of it, and are neurologically built that way, or on a different med mix then the rest of us.

PinkTennisNinja
10-22-2010, 07:25 AM
You think your bad?? I'm worse haha. I have little bit of OCD so when I get ready to serve I bounce the ball with my racquet on the ground while I'm walking to the side I'm serving from then I get to that side and then I bounce the ball to my racquet then hit it back to my hand and then back and forth like that for an odd (never even) number of times until it bounces into my hand just right. I don't normally go past 3 times of that, at the most 5. I believe it clears my head of the thoughts from the last point and gets me ready for the next point. I'm never worried about the serve itself since mine is my biggest weapon and it's consistent (at most 2 double faults a match if that) it's the next point that I think too much about. I have LOTS of thoughts roaming around in my head during the match and counting takes my mind off that :) I'm not that bad during the rest of the match except that while their serving I have to twist the racquet in my hand a odd number of times before the point starts :) yes, just a little OCD hehehe

EDIT: As a side note, no one on the court actually notices this, I look absolutely normal on the outside :)

Cindysphinx
10-22-2010, 07:35 AM
I have LOTS of thoughts roaming around in my head during the match and counting takes my mind off that :) I'm not that bad during the rest of the match except that while their serving I have to twist the racquet in my hand a odd number of times before the point starts :) yes, just a little OCD hehehe

Yeah, what's up with that?

It's like I have a little devil on my shoulder telling me to do hot dog things all the time. "Go on, you can hit that outside corner closest to the net with your second serve at 15-40." "You know that twist serve you've been experimenting with? Now's the time!"

And when I get nervous, I cannot find my grip. I spin the grip and keep moving my hand I can't get comfortable.

The three bounce routine has helped with this, I think. It gives me something *sane* to focus on.

PinkTennisNinja
10-22-2010, 07:49 AM
It's like I have a little devil on my shoulder telling me to do hot dog things all the time. "Go on, you can hit that outside corner closest to the net with your second serve at 15-40." "You know that twist serve you've been experimenting with? Now's the time!"

This is soooo me!!! I will never go for the "safe" shots! Go for the winner!....even if it's not the best idea haha

The three bounce routine has helped with this, I think. It gives me something *sane* to focus on.

Exactly :) something sane in my insane mind :D

PinkTennisNinja
10-22-2010, 08:23 AM
P.S. I <3 Djokovic :) He's my number 1, forget Fed and Nadal :twisted:

Fugazi
10-22-2010, 09:13 AM
5 or 10 bounces doesn't seem too extreme.

sphinx780
10-22-2010, 09:35 AM
I wouldn't say that 5-10 is excessive but it you want to try and reduce it one thought would be to think about the next point/serve spot while you're picking up the balls and walking to the line...maybe that gets you down to 3-6 bounces.

Just a thought but I know that as a returner, I wouldn't be concerned if my opponent bounced 5-10 times if they weren't stalling when picking up balls and the like between points.

As long as you're courteous with your opponents, most won't nitpick you for that habit.

tennisdad65
10-22-2010, 02:47 PM
A few times a match, I may bounce the ball a couple of times, but most of the time, I walk up to the spot, toss it and serve. .. no bounces .. nothing.. :) .