PDA

View Full Version : Do Mfgs design specific string for racquets?

netman
06-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Just curious. I've noticed that many times demos play really well when strung with specific strings marketed by the same mfg. When you put a similar string in from a different manufacturer you get a worse playing experience. Got me wondering if racquet designers spec specific string designs to match their frames the way high performance cars have specific tires designed for them.

Gaines Hillix
06-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Some frames are marked with the manufacturer's recommended string for that racquet. I've seen no real evidence to prove that those frames play best with that string, however. Not to say that they won't play well with it, but it's not limited to that string by any means.

radical tourist
06-04-2005, 08:34 PM
hahahahahaha! That's great. Uh, no. The major makers, anyway, usually also sell string and the demos are usually strung by the manufacturer or a smart pro shop with a premium multifilament with good feel and power. But I'll bet product development and marketing are working late tonight if they read your email. ;-)

Ryoma Kun
06-05-2005, 04:09 AM
i find that no matter what, whenever i string a gut with Babolat VS Team 17g Nat. Gut at a reletively high tension usually played VERY well, even better than teh man. rec. string!!!

i think its jsut cuz the mfg give u an expensive string for their racquets so it should be good. prince gives softflex which is a reletively high priced multi. babolat gives xcel premium (another nice multi)

A Defenseless Creature
06-05-2005, 04:52 AM
The marketing departments would like you to think so! :-)

TommyGun
06-05-2005, 07:18 AM
Think of it as more of a matched string, rather then one made for a particular frame.

Most of the manufacturers use a multifiliment synthetic, and there are some but not great differences between those.

What you are probably experiencing is the tensioning. Newly strung frames hit much different them demos, as demos are often slightly looser in tension and have been played some.

POGO
06-05-2005, 09:05 AM
Over the years the Head Radicals were hot sellers, but out of all the Head Radical models over the years, which model would be considered a flop or least liked?

erik-the-red
06-05-2005, 10:26 AM
I guess the Ti. was very well liked. Andre endorsed it from 1999-2001.

He then endorsed the i. from 2001-2003.

But, he only endorsed the Liquidmetal from 2003-2004. At Australia this year he sported a new paintjob.

So, I guess the Liquidmetal was the least liked, though when I demoed the oversize I thought it was fine.

POGO
06-05-2005, 10:45 AM
I guess the Ti. was very well liked. Andre endorsed it from 1999-2001.

He then endorsed the i. from 2001-2003.

But, he only endorsed the Liquidmetal from 2003-2004. At Australia this year he sported a new paintjob.

So, I guess the Liquidmetal was the least liked, though when I demoed the oversize I thought it was fine.
Thanks for your reply. I just realized that I forgot to make a new thread and instead posted in this thread. :)