PDA

View Full Version : First Attempt: Forgot to secure fixed clamp

JavierLW
10-22-2010, 08:54 AM
I made my first attempt to string with my new Combo 710 Machine.

I made it to the 4th main on each side, and on the 2nd one, I pulled tension, re-clamped the string and then released tension, and then found that I forgot to lock the clamp to the base so it slide way over and everything loosened up.

I figure I have to start all over obviously since I loosened the entire bed. Does this ruin the string as well typically since I pulled all of the mains already?

Luckily it was not on my current playing racquet and I used the Wilson NXT Control string that they sent for free, Im glad I didnt bother with expensive gut or anything yet.

GPB
10-22-2010, 09:04 AM
If it's for myself, I'd just string it again (with the same string).

If it's for a paying customer, it's a tossup. I mean, 4 mains on each side... that's only half the mains, albeit the important half.

Meh. Consider it an overzealous prestretch and reuse it.

hpaiste
10-22-2010, 09:07 AM
You lose all the tension you pulled. If that even happen with one or two mains I would restart. But it was very smart of you to use that NXT as practice.

JavierLW
10-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Luckily I have a whole giant spool of some Synthetic Gut string from Eagnas to use as practice as well. I dont see myself ever playing with that either...

mikeler
10-22-2010, 04:41 PM
It took me about 10 times until I never forgot to tighten the clamps again. It's really bad when you do it after pulling 16 strings!

drummerdan
10-22-2010, 08:49 PM
All of us have gone through learning experiences like that. Keep at it!!!

dgdawg
10-23-2010, 05:25 AM
Luckily I have a whole giant spool of some Synthetic Gut string from Eagnas to use as practice as well. I dont see myself ever playing with that either...

Did you get a spool of Perfect Spin? I actually use that as part of my "inventory". A lot of my customers like it!
Try to get a "system" down:
1-Tension>lock clamp base>clamp string.
2-Release tension>unlock clamp base>release string clamp
This method (in this order) creates less stress on the string (as well as damage) and promotes consistency.

Parker512
10-23-2010, 05:36 AM
I made my first attempt to string with my new Combo 710 Machine.

I made it to the 4th main on each side, and on the 2nd one, I pulled tension, re-clamped the string and then released tension, and then found that I forgot to lock the clamp to the base so it slide way over and everything loosened up.

I figure I have to start all over obviously since I loosened the entire bed. Does this ruin the string as well typically since I pulled all of the mains already?

Luckily it was not on my current playing racquet and I used the Wilson NXT Control string that they sent for free, Im glad I didnt bother with expensive gut or anything yet.

What machine did you get?

JavierLW
10-23-2010, 06:10 AM
Did you get a spool of Perfect Spin? I actually use that as part of my "inventory". A lot of my customers like it!
Try to get a "system" down:
1-Tension>lock clamp base>clamp string.
2-Release tension>unlock clamp base>release string clamp
This method (in this order) creates less stress on the string (as well as damage) and promotes consistency.

Yes that is what I received. I am a Natural Gut and Isospeed user so I expect I wont like it, although I did put it in one of my A300's which deal better with stiffer strings.

You're right, Im trying to get in the habit of doing it the same way everytime so I dont forget steps.

On the second try I was able to string the A300 with the Perfect Spin String. It probably took 90 minutes.

JavierLW
10-23-2010, 06:47 AM
What machine did you get?

http://www.eagnas.com/com710.html

dgdawg
10-23-2010, 07:00 AM
Yes that is what I received. I am a Natural Gut and Isospeed user so I expect I wont like it, although I did put it in one of my A300's which deal better with stiffer strings.

You're right, Im trying to get in the habit of doing it the same way everytime so I dont forget steps.

On the second try I was able to string the A300 with the Perfect Spin String. It probably took 90 minutes.

Good string choice, Javi.
I can't seem to find another poly i like better than SPPP.
It seems to be my "customers choice" as well.
I use to hybrid it with VS Team, but found Biphase gave me more power, and is a whole lot cheaper.
Cheers, & happy stringing!!

JavierLW
10-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Im doing pretty good after the first attempt:

Attempt #1
------------

Racquet: Dunlop A300
String: Wilson NXT Control 16 @ 60
Result failed: Forgot to secure clamp base on the 8th main, cut string out

Attempt #2
------------

String: Eagnas Perfect Spin 16 @ 60/62
Result success: Strung one-piece, successful job!

Attempt #3
-----------

String: Eagnas Perfect Spin 16 @ 60 / Eagnas Perfect Spin 16 @ 62
Result success: Strung two-piece, successful job!

Attempt #4
-----------

Racquet: Wilson KPro Open
String: Global Gut 16g Red @ 60 / Isospeed Pro Classic @63
Result Failed: Global Gut snapped on tensioning on the 7th main on one
side. Probably due to being from a non-sealed package
or because I kinked it.

Attempt #5
-----------

Racquet: Wilson KPro Open
String: Global Gut 16g Red @60 / Isospeed Pro Classic @63
Result Success: Was able to string racquet just fine.

So that's 3-2 so far.

One thing that is surprising is that when my normal stringer uses this setup, he always complains about how hard it is to pull the Isospeed crosses thru those Global Gut mains. I used Drakulie's suggestion of only pulling the crosses thru a few obstacles at a time and I didnt have a problem.

And usually my mains look all beat up when my normal stringer does it, yet they seemed fine using this method.

That leads me to believe for the sake of saving time he probably weaves the entire thing and trys to pull it all thru. (which is still fine since he's never broken anything, just interesting)