PDA

View Full Version : Help: my first stringing machine

banter
10-22-2010, 11:20 PM
I am looking into purchasing a stringing machine for myself. Something not to fancy, yet durable. After a lot of research, I have nearly decided that when I purchase a machine that it would be a Klippermate (http://www.klipperusa.com/klippermatedetail2.php)

I go back and forth between Texas and California and I would like to bring it with me. How much does the Klipermate weight and will I be able to put this into a checked in baggage? And/or is it suggested that I get the carrying case and hand carry it on a plane? Could I even hand carry such an object?

Thanks.

Parker512
10-23-2010, 05:02 AM
have you looked into an x-2? Also they make carrying cases for klippers you know.

banter
10-23-2010, 10:50 AM
I have looked into x-2. I am weary of it because of its composite clamps. The Klippermate, which is around the same price, has metal clamps. Overall, I think the Klippermate can take more of a beating, plus it has a lifetime guarantee. I'm not sure if Gamma does that for the x-2.

I am aware that there are carrying cases. It lists that with machine and case, it would weight 32 pounds. I don't know if this is something I could carry on a plane... If I were to put this into my luggage, I would have limited room/weight to play with before I am over the limit.

Side question: Has anyone not checking in their racquets, but hand carried them on a plane?

max
10-23-2010, 12:27 PM
The Kmate's about 35 lbs. The company sells an overpriced, but fancy looking, carrying box for it. Do what I did: go to Lowe's and buy a Plano box for $15. Works wonderful.

banter
10-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks, Max. Have you ever carried this on a plane?

Don S
10-23-2010, 04:58 PM
I've had a Klippermate for about 10 years. For me, it's perfect. Yes it's heavy, It's built like a tank. There isn't a baggage handler on the planet that can kill it. As someone mentioned, you can get a Klippermate carrying case for it. You might want to seriously consider doing that and here's why. Yeah you can find a Plano box to fit it for a lot less money. However, you drag that thing into the airport and you'll soon find that it immediately becomes the focus of interest to the TSA agents at the gate. Something heavy and metal inside a tackle box is going to raise a few red flags. I'm going to venture that the majority of airport screeners wouldn't have a clue as to what that thing is. So it may be in your best interest to put in it a carry case that identifies what it is more easily. Just my two cents.

banter
10-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Don S, I see your point. Your advice is really sound.

I looked more into the gamma x-2 and found that it does have a lifetime warranty. Also, like the kmate, the x-2 comes with string and what not. What I like about the x-2 is that it's gripper looks very solid. On the flipsde, the Kmate's clamps seem much better than the x-2's. Oh my, this is hard. haha.

jmjmkim
10-23-2010, 11:27 PM
I bought my Kilppermate when I was in high school, it still is like the first day that I bought it. (30 years ago)

You can get the Klippermate, or the Gamma, you can't go wrong. (The machine will string rackets well, but of course it is not as precise as the more expensive models with fixed clamps) Figure on +/- few LBS for each pull that you make, but the more experience you get, the more accurate you will get also. I remember the first few rackets that I strung, it was a joke. I was breaking strings, stripping strings, slipping, coming up short, the works. Now, I can string a racket decently in about 40 minutes. I now use 90% Golden Set hex poly. . . . which lasts so long without breaking that I almost forget how to string.

About thinking of carrying it on a plane? The last time that I went on a plane, my "check-in" baggage was charged $25. Even if it is in the carry box, it is too bulky and a hassle. I would never carry it, unless it is in the back of my trunk.

Rather, just ship it by UPS, and make the transport less frequent.

lionel_101
10-24-2010, 06:45 AM
I am looking into purchasing a stringing machine for myself. Something not to fancy, yet durable. After a lot of research, I have nearly decided that when I purchase a machine that it would be a Klippermate (http://www.klipperusa.com/klippermatedetail2.php)

I go back and forth between Texas and California and I would like to bring it with me. How much does the Klipermate weight and will I be able to put this into a checked in baggage? And/or is it suggested that I get the carrying case and hand carry it on a plane? Could I even hand carry such an object?

Thanks.

Instead of carrying or shipping it back and forth from Texas and California, just buy 2 and keep one in each location. Not to sure why you need to carry a stringing machine around, unless you stay at each location for a long period of time.

jim e
10-24-2010, 07:46 AM
Instead of carrying or shipping it back and forth from Texas and California, just buy 2 and keep one in each location. Not to sure why you need to carry a stringing machine around, unless you stay at each location for a long period of time.

Now that is sound advise!
It is a big pain as it is to travel and deal with the carry on and checked luggage as it is, yet alone deal with bringing a machine back and forth between 2 places , and the airlines charge for check on now.
Lionel has the best solution , especially since you are getting a cheap machine, just get 2 of them, and you eliminate the hassel of transporting it back and forth.Even if you get it into the check on luggage, you still have to carry it from the car to the airport, then carry the extra weight from the luggage claim to your car, and then unpack it. Why deal with all that? Just get another cheap machine and thats all eliminated.

banter
10-24-2010, 07:47 AM
Thanks jmjmkim and lionel_101. It seems like I can't go wrong with either or.

I go to school in Texas, but I reside in California during the winter and summer breaks. I'm in Tx for most of my time, but I play most during the summer.

Radicalized
10-24-2010, 10:05 AM
I agree with lionel_101 and jim_e. With baggage fees these days, even if you were to break down a stringer like the X-2 and place it in a case of some sort, the fees would quickly buy you a second. You can always sell one later, unless storage of one prohibits keeping it in one location.

banter
10-26-2010, 06:51 AM
You guys are right. I should just get 2, 1 in each location. This gives me the option to get both and sell the one I don't like later down the road. :)

banter
10-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Follow up question: if I were to go ahead and get the X-2, which affiliate or third party seller should I go through? Which one has the best service and which one has the best value? I ask because there is extra string that comes with the machine and I want the most as possible.

Thanks.

klu375
10-30-2010, 08:30 PM
I bought my X-6FC at ******** Sports. Free speedy shipping. For warranty issues you can deal with Gamma directly. My new stringer was missing a screw and Gamma Tech sent it to me next day. He is a member of this board.

klu375
10-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Keep forgetting about TW censorship. You can buy it from any reputable place geographically close to your location. TW is on West Coast, I bought mine from H.o.l.a.b.i.r.d.

banter
10-31-2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks klu375. TW is on the west coast, however they do not sell the x-2, nor kmate. Hola looks like a legit place to buy the x-2 from since they also offer 1 set of 5 different strings. I saw on another thread that someone got 10 packs of string from hola. Does anyone have any info regarding this?

lionel_101
10-31-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks klu375. TW is on the west coast, however they do not sell the x-2, nor kmate. Hola looks like a legit place to buy the x-2 from since they also offer 1 set of 5 different strings. I saw on another thread that someone got 10 packs of string from hola. Does anyone have any info regarding this?

I bought my X-2 about 2 years ago from Hola**** and it was $139.00 with free shipping and came with at least 10 sets of various strings and the users manual. I guess they trimmed it down to just 5 sets now.

The only thing that I didn't like, was that the box was delivered all mangled up during shipping. The white styoform protection was broken into big chunks and had lots of little bits and pieces broken off and flying around. At first, I thought it was a returned and used unit from a customer that they send out to me and I was going to return it, but I decided it wasn't worth returning and kept it. The X-2 has worked great for me so far with no problems.

Not much you can do if the shipping company is careless and just throws the package around during the truck shipment from the East Coast to the west coast.

I figured, with the $85.00 string package and $35.00 free shipping and no sale tax, the stringing machine cost me just $20.00. Of course, I just used the ten sets of string for stringing practice and not for actual use on the court.

Icedorb217
10-31-2010, 11:02 AM
A T S S P O R TS has it as well as their own stringer which is exactly like the X2. And i believe this is from Gamma Dicrectly

technoob10
10-31-2010, 04:15 PM
Why don't you try looking at the Alpha String Pal, linear gripper and metal clamps. Plus alpha has great customer service

ryanhoku
10-31-2010, 08:22 PM
I purchased a Klippermate over a year ago and still wonder how much having the clutch would make stringing easier and quicker. However the Klipper clamps work great and I can vouch for the machine construction as it is solid and does produce a nice string job. The X-2 clamps did concern me and if I had to re-do my purchase I would still buy the Klipper because of the clamps but note I have no experience with the X-2 clamps and my opinion is just based on what I have researched on this forum. I initially decided to purchase the Alpha stringer as it has the clutch and from what I have read, good clamps but at that time there seemed to be issues with bending or warping of the base or bar during stringing. I am not sure if that has been fixed.

lionel_101
10-31-2010, 08:35 PM
I purchased a Klippermate over a year ago and still wonder how much having the clutch would make stringing easier and quicker. However the Klipper clamps work great and I can vouch for the machine construction as it is solid and does produce a nice string job. The X-2 clamps did concern me and if I had to re-do my purchase I would still buy the Klipper because of the clamps but note I have no experience with the X-2 clamps and my opinion is just based on what I have researched on this forum. I initially decided to purchase the Alpha stringer as it has the clutch and from what I have read, good clamps but at that time there seemed to be issues with bending or warping of the base or bar during stringing. I am not sure if that has been fixed.

I would guess not much faster, if you have been using your Klippermate often for a year.

I am not to sure why you would want another drop weight machine, if you are more then happy with the Klippermate and their metal clamps.

Save some money and forget about buying another drop weight stringing machine.

banter
10-31-2010, 09:49 PM
Lionel, ryanhoku, stated, "if I had to re-do my purchase I would still buy the Klipper" Ryan is not buying another machine.

ryanhoku, if you were to buy another one, you would give it to me right? haha.

technoob10, I looked into the Alpha and linear grippers however I could not find any sites that sold this, so I looked into the similar Eagnes Hawk series, which looks like a great deal. Have you had any experience with a linear gripper/drop weight system?

snoopy
11-01-2010, 12:00 AM
the string pal is available at newtech tennis

and TW is now selling the gamma progression 200 which is very similar to the X-2. The only difference is the base.

MuscleWeave
11-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Here's Alpha's website:
http://www.alphatennis.com/Contact.htm

I got the Pioneer DC+, at $425, and I really like it. I ordered straight from the US distributor, in TX. The String Pal also has good reviews.

banter
11-01-2010, 06:10 PM
So I checked out the String Pal through new tech and it looks simple, just the basics of what needs for an entry level.

ryanhoku mentioned that there was an issue with warping of the base, does anyone have any updates regarding this?

I also looked into ATS and they sell used machines by call. I will call in eventually, to inquire what selection they have.

banter
11-01-2010, 07:19 PM
I have been looking through other threads and stumbled upon Eagnas.
http://www.e a g n a s.com/flex100.html
This particular machine is very similar to the String Pal. It even compares the two. Eagnas appears to be better than the String Pal especially comparing the value, but the way the comparison is setup makes it look extremely bias, thus making me question their credibility and quality.

Can someone back up Eagnas' claims? Also, has anyone found a need for frame retainers?

struggle
11-02-2010, 06:49 AM
i own an eagnas combo 910. perfectly happy with it.

if i were to buy a dropweight, i'd likely buy an eagnas challenger I due to the features.

many folks here will disagree (some of them EVEN based on actual experience with eagnas machines). i'm ok with that.

banter
11-02-2010, 07:23 AM
many folks here will disagree (some of them EVEN based on actual experience with eagnas machines). i'm ok with that.

Why is that?

I ask because I am liking the Eagnas more than the Alpha String Pal, since Eagnas has a huge bang for your buck. I'm just torn between the Flex 100 and the Flex 740. Both seem like great deals, but one is all I need.

MuscleWeave
11-02-2010, 01:36 PM
"I'm just a caveman . . . " and I don't know anything about Eagnas. But I do know that Alpha has superior customer service!

SNL reference

MW

banter
11-02-2010, 05:55 PM
After researching more about Eagnes, I have drawn to the conclusion that their quality is not that great. Their customer service too, perhaps. Eagnas is off the board.

This leaves me with Alpha, Stringway, and Klippermate. The Stringway has an interesting dropweight system, and the clamps look oh so good, but the price is crazy high for me. Klippermate is great as well, however I am still uncomfortable with the cam* gripper despite all the praise. While the Alpha String Pal is basic without any special extras.

singnflip4life
11-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Eagnas is a brand that has very low QC, which is why the prices are so low. They can accept more machines, which makes the price per machine lower. The best advice I can give is unless you buy the machine in person, or have someone you know buy it in person, you may get stuck with a less than well-made machine.

Klippermates can last decades due to the sturdiness, I've seen some left in garages, in backyards, generally beat up and they string rackets up just fine. The gripper has scientific basis, it only grips as much as it needs to in order to hold the string, can't go wrong with that. Plus it won't nick strings like some other poorly made linear grippers.

top_amateur
11-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Recently got my second drop weight, still an X-2. Sold my old one 2 years ago when I moved.
X-2's free strings are just unnoticeable, my old machine came with over 20 packs of strings, but this time, just 5, as stated in hola.bird website.
The pros of the X-2 is: tools coming with it
It has awl, pathfinder (no other model in similar price comes with one), a plier and more.
I do think the clamps are a little bulky, but definitely they work well. I consider upgrading the clamps sometime later, maybe to stringway (a little too costly), or maybe SP or Klippermate's clamps.

Guys, any comparison or user experience on SP and Klippermate's clamp?

max
11-03-2010, 07:04 AM
I think the comparisons don't really add up to a clear winner in the low budget stringer area.

I used to recommend, on these boards, popping an extra few bucks for an SP Swing, but I understand these aren't around anymore.

The Kmate's impossible to **** up. Since it's a toss-up, I'd go with that.

top_amateur
11-03-2010, 07:55 AM
I just got an email from Steven of Silent Partner, they have one demo for sale now. If any of you are interested, please contact SP's customer service.

banter
11-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the insight.

top_amateur, just based on appearance, the Kmate's claps look intense and I bet they get the job done like any other flying clamp, maybe even better.

You guys are right. Klippermates are legit. If I were to order one, I would also like to get a starting clamp. However, klipper doesn't sell those, do you think I can use a flying clamp to double as a starting clamp?

I know my university's men's tennis coach and he told me that he knows the a guy who works for Alpha, so I am going to look into that to see if I can get a deal.

Regardless, it seems like I can't go wrong with a Klipper.

singnflip4life
11-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Klipper tennis clamps are indeed quite intense, and they do get the job done very well without being overly wide.

I have never used it as a starting clamp myself, as the Stringer's Digest method for using all flying clamps doesn't require a starting clamp.

banter
11-03-2010, 02:59 PM
So I contacted Alpha and they said that they have worked out the problems with their String Pal's base and everything is all fine and dandy.

I am now torn between the Kmate and the String Pal, thus I have created a poll. Feel free to be the decider of my first stringing machine.

topanlego
11-04-2010, 10:04 AM
I got my String Pal about a couple years ago and there are no problems with the base. They said the base was made thicker and stronger.

The clamps are good too. Comes with all the tools you need to get started. You can always order a few packs of their Nylon 15L to practice with. They're only $1 per pack. The only extra thing I would order is a starting clamp.

banter
12-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Thank you to all who have helped me with choosing my first stringing machine. I have decided to get a Klippermate. I have already strung with it and I thoroughly enjoy it.

Here's a link to an album of pictures from my first string job.
http://yfrog.com/44dsc1150vjx

Icedorb217
12-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Nice to now you got it. Its a nice machine and once you get used to the gripper you can start pulling strings in about 2 to 3 drops

pingu
12-13-2010, 09:46 AM
..... I have decided to get a Klippermate. I have already strung with it and I thoroughly enjoy it....

http://yfrog.com/44dsc1150vjx

Welcome to the club! I think you've made a good decision. That machine will last you for years. Enjoy the $aving :)

tnsanydy
12-13-2010, 08:50 PM
There's just not much to choose from in the $100-150 range and I don't expect to get a lot for that price! I've been going back and forth between the Klippermate and the Gamma x-2 and somebody on this thread mentioned about ATSSPORTS lo and behold, I found their ATS Stringer which is currently on sale for $139., free shipping, free strings and tools so I ordered it today. Against my better judgement, I have to settle for their composite clamps which has been getting a bad review but then again, I only break my strings at least once or twice a month so I think I'll be OK- plus I do believe that it's all in the right set-up before stringing. I just can't wait to string my rackets and experiment with different tensions- I didn't even bother with the carrying case instead I can bring along 4 rackets at a time whe I go out of town to play! The only thing I noticed about the ATS Stringer is they looked exactly like the Gamma Progression 200? Any thoughts on this?

Maui19
12-14-2010, 03:16 AM
There's just not much to choose from in the $100-150 range and I don't expect to get a lot for that price! I've been going back and forth between the Klippermate and the Gamma x-2 and somebody on this thread mentioned about ATSSPORTS lo and behold, I found their ATS Stringer which is currently on sale for $139., free shipping, free strings and tools so I ordered it today. Against my better judgement, I have to settle for their composite clamps which has been getting a bad review but then again, I only break my strings at least once or twice a month so I think I'll be OK- plus I do believe that it's all in the right set-up before stringing. I just can't wait to string my rackets and experiment with different tensions- I didn't even bother with the carrying case instead I can bring along 4 rackets at a time whe I go out of town to play! The only thing I noticed about the ATS Stringer is they looked exactly like the Gamma Progression 200? Any thoughts on this?

I believe it is the Gamma Progression 200. If you notice in the description, all the tools that come with the unit are Gamma tools. I have the 200 and it is identical to the one you got.

tnsanydy
12-14-2010, 01:04 PM
The label outside says ATS Stringer but you're right, there's no denying it's a Gamma P 200. Even their manual is exactly like that of Gamma except the name was changed to ATS- does not really bother me and didn't even asked ATS after I noticed it. I just got an e-mail that mine was shipped today. Here's my take on the whole tension mystery thing about not getting the desired result and I'm no expert but at least I can tell if I got the tension I wanted from the sound pitch when I hit the strings from my racket with another racket. Almost everybody does this right? Works for me all the time! I'll have my racket strung at 60 lbs. while my actual target tension is only 55-56 lbs. and I always get my desired range. I will definitely stretch my string prior to stringing to further reduced the tension inconsistency.

Radicalized
12-18-2010, 08:57 AM

A T S/Gamma same thing in regard to the two-point drops noted. Same address. Same parts. Slightly different base shape and material construction. Blue parts in red.

The ratcheting gripper works well. On the clamps, I like to count the clicks when adjusting them for use for certain strings/gauges so I know where to set them for a particular string. If using the same string all of the time, it's not an issue. I open the clamps up, turn the knob clockwise until it stops, counting the clicks to determine the former clamp "setting" (tightness) for a particular string, rather than guessing. Turn it counterclockwise to reset the clamp to its original setting. You'll get the hang of them. Focus on getting enough grip without being too tight. They shouldn't be too hard to open either. The machine is easy to break down if needed for easy transport.

tnsanydy
12-18-2010, 10:29 AM
A T S/Gamma same thing in regard to the two-point drops noted. Same address. Same parts. Slightly different base shape and material construction. Blue parts in red.

The ratcheting gripper works well. On the clamps, I like to count the clicks when adjusting them for use for certain strings/gauges so I know where to set them for a particular string. If using the same string all of the time, it's not an issue. I open the clamps up, turn the knob clockwise until it stops, counting the clicks to determine the former clamp "setting" (tightness) for a particular string, rather than guessing. Turn it counterclockwise to reset the clamp to its original setting. You'll get the hang of them. Focus on getting enough grip without being too tight. They shouldn't be too hard to open either. The machine is easy to break down if needed for easy transport.

Thanks for that awesome idea. I have been using 16's all the time as it's more durable for my PSC 6.1's. Now with my new stringer, I can afford to use 17's. Can you let me know how many clicks do you set your clamps (after turning the knob all the way until it stops) for optimum hold on the 16's and 17's. This will help us a lot with the guess work. It's pouring cats and dogs here in CA but the wait is over as mine is up for delivery today. I also like to ask if I need to buy a STARTER CLAMP as an extra tool or can I use the clamp that comes with the machine to use it outside of the hoop to start stringing?

Radicalized
12-18-2010, 11:34 AM
The clamp "tightness" may change with different strings, even if the gauges are listed as the same. I can't give you a "perfect one-stop" setting. You can figure that out as noted here for whatever your string is and keep it in mind when changing the clamps for other strings, if you do so. First of all, the clamps shouldn't be hard to clamp on or remove--the lever should be fairly easy to open and close. Just as a general number, all the way from the position I noted above (open clamp and turn CW until knob stops), and then turn back CCW (counting clicks) might be in the 30 clicks range or so (-X for "thicker"/+X "thinner" generally). For one basic syn. gut 16 I used 33 clicks, and for a "same" gauge poly I lowered it several. Again, it varies with the string. You'll quickly get the hang of it. You'll likely know if the clamp needs to be set tighter if there's initial slippage. Make sure your strings are clean to avoid fouling up your clamps unnecessarily. You can always clean them down the road if necessary, anyway.

Are you stringing your racquet one or two-piece? I noticed on the one for the model shown below that the one-piece crosses start at the throat. You may wish to question others about this method who string this model.

Do you have the pattern?
Is this what you have?
Pro Staff 6.1 Midplus 95
String Tension : 55-65 lbs.
String Length : 34' (ss:9') or (18'M's and 16' X's)
String Pattern : 16 x 18
Start Main : at Throat. Mains skip 7T, 9T, 7H and 9H. Tie off M's at 8T.
One Piece : Start X's at Bottom at 7T. Top X: 7H. Tie off X's at 5H.
Two Piece : Start X's at Top at 7H. Bottom X: 7T. Tie off X's at 5H and 11T.

Also, do you feel you need to use a starting clamp with your racquet? Is there a reason a starting knot is not acceptable? What "method" are you planning to use to string the racquet?

ricardo
12-18-2010, 11:44 AM
I think TW sells Gamma x-2 for $159 but it is under a different model name. It is called Gamma Progression 200 Stringing Machine and is red in color.

tnsanydy
12-18-2010, 01:03 PM
The clamp "tightness" may change with different strings, even if the gauges are listed as the same. I can't give you a "perfect one-stop" setting. You can figure that out as noted here for whatever your string is and keep it in mind when changing the clamps for other strings, if you do so. First of all, the clamps shouldn't be hard to clamp on or remove--the lever should be fairly easy to open and close. Just as a general number, all the way from the position I noted above (open clamp and turn CW until knob stops), and then turn back CCW (counting clicks) might be in the 30 clicks range or so (-X for "thicker"/+X "thinner" generally). For one basic syn. gut 16 I used 33 clicks, and for a "same" gauge poly I lowered it several. Again, it varies with the string. You'll quickly get the hang of it. You'll likely know if the clamp needs to be set tighter if there's initial slippage. Make sure your strings are clean to avoid fouling up your clamps unnecessarily. You can always clean them down the road if necessary, anyway.

Are you stringing your racquet one or two-piece? I noticed on the one for the model shown below that the one-piece crosses start at the throat. You may wish to question others about this method who string this model.

Do you have the pattern?
Is this what you have?
Pro Staff 6.1 Midplus 95
String Tension : 55-65 lbs.
String Length : 34' (ss:9') or (18'M's and 16' X's)
String Pattern : 16 x 18
Start Main : at Throat. Mains skip 7T, 9T, 7H and 9H. Tie off M's at 8T.
One Piece : Start X's at Bottom at 7T. Top X: 7H. Tie off X's at 5H.
Two Piece : Start X's at Top at 7H. Bottom X: 7T. Tie off X's at 5H and 11T.

Also, do you feel you need to use a starting clamp with your racquet? Is there a reason a starting knot is not acceptable? What "method" are you planning to use to string the racquet?

I just got my ATS Stringer 30 min. ago and it's all set up with my first racket clamped and ready. I will be stringing my PSC Euro version with 18 x 20 pattern so I'll be starting from the head/top. They gave me 6 free gamma strings- Challenger 16 (syn gut), Revelation 16, Synthetic gut 16, TNT 16, Zo power and Dura Spin 15L. My local stringer charge me $25.00(string & stringing) for the TNT 16 which I use all the time so these free strings just about cover the cost of my stringing machine. He also always strings it 2 piece because he said it holds tensions better. I'll go the same route for my first stringing for now. I have not looked which of these free strings other than the TNT are the cheapest- is it the synthetic gut? I don't want to mess up the more expensive one as a guinee pig.

Radicalized
12-18-2010, 10:09 PM
^^^
Challenger is cheapest. Soft and "elastic." In U.S. Dollars: Only about $2.35.
Next cheapest is the Syn. Gut 16 at about $3.50. Dura Spin is about $5.95. Revelation (multi.) is about $7.95. TNT is about $9.95. Zo Power (poly) is about $12.95.

Ok. You have a tighter pattern than I noted above, with as you wrote, a "Euro" version. Good luck. Sounds like you've gotten some of the advice you need from your stringer.

tnsanydy
12-18-2010, 10:59 PM
^^^
Challenger is cheapest. Soft and "elastic." In U.S. Dollars: Only about $2.35.
Next cheapest is the Syn. Gut 16 at about $3.50. Dura Spin is about $5.95. Revelation (multi.) is about $7.95. TNT is about $9.95. Zo Power (poly) is about $12.95.

Ok. You have a tighter pattern than I noted above, with as you wrote, a "Euro" version. Good luck. Sounds like you've gotten some of the advice you need from your stringer.

Thanks for the advise. You're right in that order from the cheapest to the more expensive strings as I went to TW website and looked at their Gamma string prices. I did it! I don't know how long it took me but I felt it in my legs for standing that long. You're right, it was a trial and error with the Clamp tensions and it took me 3 tries removing the strings and starting again from the start until I got the right tension from the clamps so it won't slip. The holes to tie the knots gave out a fight and I'm glad the tools was included! It really built up my confidence after finishing my very first stringing gig! The string bed felt really good, it sounds good- I set the tension at 60 lbs. but my real target is 56-57 but the clamps held the strings really good that it didn't slip at all so the strings felt and sound like in the 58-59 tension. My left hand was tired from adjusting the rachet to tightened the string prior to dropping the weight but it did it's job. A starting clamp can really make STARTING EASY so that's one tool I wouldn't mind buying specially when starting the mains. The crosses was much easier to start because I used the clamp outside from the side. I saved my first $25.00- 2 more stringing and my stringer is paid off!

Radicalized
12-19-2010, 02:49 AM
I don't make videos, but here is a series for the similar X-2. Maybe the method is different from what you've used or will give you some ideas or have you asking some questions to "improve."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJxLaRXDkZw

And of course, the YULitle videos, of which you may be well aware:
youtube.com/yulitle

The "How to Pass string through Blocked Grommets" video may help you.

There is a bunch of other stuff there, too. I don't know what techniques/tips/tricks/caveats/etc. you know (or don't).

At some point, especially with less "stretchy" string, you'll probably have to use the ratchet very little. You'll just know where to position the bar to drop it. Again, it is the string type (properties) that is the variable.

tnsanydy
12-19-2010, 03:01 PM
I don't make videos, but here is a series for the similar X-2. Maybe the method is different from what you've used or will give you some ideas or have you asking some questions to "improve."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJxLaRXDkZw

And of course, the YULitle videos, of which you may be well aware:
youtube.com/yulitle

The "How to Pass string through Blocked Grommets" video may help you.

There is a bunch of other stuff there, too. I don't know what techniques/tips/tricks/caveats/etc. you know (or don't).

At some point, especially with less "stretchy" string, you'll probably have to use the ratchet very little. You'll just know where to position the bar to drop it. Again, it is the string type (properties) that is the variable.

I actually love that rachet once I got the hang of it- at first I was turning it too much that the weight bar end up too high and not getting parallel so I end up going back just to stay with my set tension. I then learned to position the rachet a certain way before loading the string and take small adjustments. I just love the whole process because I am in control of the situation so if I screw up, it's all in me. There's no more waiting for 1 day or so before I can get my racket strung. I wanted to practice some more but I don't have anymore racket to string!!! Thanks Radical for all the goods stuff you sent our way. I think I got all of Yulitle videos saved in my desktop as a one click reference. The 2 point mount works very well and secured in MHO as opposed to 4 or 6 point which are more clattered. They're only good if you're leaving the racket partially strung to hold the racket from uneven pressure.

banter
05-01-2011, 05:58 PM
So I strung on a 5-Star today, and I'm still happy with my purchase of the klippermate.