PDA

View Full Version : Lobs..

GuyClinch
06-04-2005, 06:27 PM
I have to say I am not a good tennis player. I am like a 3.0 I would guess. Now I am actually pretty decent at the net - and I can hit an overhead. But..

I suck at chasing down lobs. I mean I guess I don't react quick enough to em. Now I have heard that one tatic to catch up with a lob is just to run back (without looking at the ball) then turn around find the ball and hit the reply.

Should I work on that? I play a guy who can hit some really good lobs. It's like his best shot. But he doesn't hit them with alot of topspin so I should be able to get them.

Lately, I have just been beating people from the backcourt when I discover they can lob well. But that's silly cause I am 6'4" and should go to the net.

Pete

MChong
06-04-2005, 07:37 PM
Though that would work, it'd be better if you looked to see where the ball was going and moved towards it in a semicircle so by the time you reach it, your body is already in position to hit it with the weight moving so it'd be more like hitting a running forehand or backhand as opposed to running straight back and hitting it with the weight going the wrong way.

However, it also seems that seeing as you're 6'4" maybe you're standing too far in to the net or you're not reading the opponent's lobs. At the 3.0 level, you should really be able to tell when they're going to lob because it'd be a tough shot for any of your opponents to be able to disguise. I suggest you stand a bit further away from the net and remember to split-step so you can chase down the lobs when you know it's coming.

Anticipation is key.

fist pump
06-04-2005, 08:43 PM
do not go too close to the net.that way you can position and step back sideways to hit a decent smash.this would be more offensive and harder to manage by your opponent.

when you get the ball like you mentioned - you get more in a defensive position where opponents can put it away.

if you volley well - chances are you are gonna be lobbed a lot.

Indiantwist
06-05-2005, 06:42 AM
Iam a 3.0/3.5 and i use the lob shot. After my serve ,Lob is one of my most consistent shots and my opponents say that they cannot read when i am throwing a lob.

I have the same issue too. I hate chasing down lobs (though i almost try to chase all of them down even if i know i cant get to them). Still i feel very uncomfortable.

I used to be strictly @baseline. last week or two i tried coming to net and iam very successful at net. That is forcing my opponents to LOB @me.

FREDDY
06-05-2005, 10:54 AM
size dont matter. to prevent getting lobbed dont let them hit it. when your at the net you should make them chase the ball down so that they dont have a chance to lob. im a pretty good lobber and ive noticed that a lot of people cant really handle them. patience and timing is key when your playing against a person who lobs excessively. hit the ball on the the rise. or have them come to the net. its pretty hard to lob effectively from there. if your good at the net then you shouldnt worry when they accompany you there. but ey what do i know?

Kana Himezaki
06-05-2005, 11:45 AM
With your height, you can probably cut off a lot of balls with good reach.

For balls you think you can chase down, turn your body to the side and take crossover steps. DON'T backpedal. It's much easier to get into position, and you can move backwards more easily.

If it's a really good lob, you may just have to turn around, run back, and whip your racquet around, maybe lob it back. Fortunately, with your height, you shouldn't really have to do that often.

Andres
06-06-2005, 03:58 PM
I'm also 6'4'', and believe me, it's damn hard for a guy to throw a lob over a guy who can reach a ball at 8'6'' high ;)

Serve and Volley, the only way ;)

FedererUberAlles
06-06-2005, 04:19 PM
I can't wait until my tweener is consistent; I spend a lot of time working on it and it's fun to use.

redtennis55
06-06-2005, 04:57 PM
i would suggest learning the scissor kick for lobs that get behind you. It will give you a little more reach and you will be able to hit the lobs that are a little behind you better. As for lobs that are completely behind you i agree with not letting your opponent lob you, but otherwise run around the lob, and anticipate it.