PDA

View Full Version : What rating would you play if you were me?

johndagolfer
10-24-2010, 05:46 AM
Last year was my first year playing USTA at 3.5 I went 5 - 3 and for the most part it looks like I am going to be a computer rated 3.5 this year.

The thing about that though is I was coming back into the sport after taking a 10ish year layoff, I was 250 lbs and had very bad arthritic ankles.

At the end of this year I am 212 lbs, I am moving better than I have in the last 7 or 8 years and I recently beat 3 weaker 4.0's in non USTA league play.

I have contacted a few captains from last years 3.5 league and there is some interest, though not much (what a bummer).

I have also been asked if perhaps I would want to play 4.0

I really want to have a dominate year in 3.5 this year, and was wondering if playing 4.0 concurrently could affect my status as a 3.5 player?

What do you think?

Thanks!

dlk
10-24-2010, 05:57 AM
Conrgats on a successful year. You can always play up (i.e., 3.5 can play at 4.0 level & still be rated 3.5).

tennis_tater
10-24-2010, 06:01 AM
If you think you are going to be computer rated 3.5 at the end of this season (2010), playing 4.0 next season at the same time as playing 3.5 shouldn't affect your 3.5 rating during the course of the 2011 season. The computer rating should protect you from an in-season DQ. However, depending on your results, playing 4.0 next season will increase your changes of being bumped to 4.0 the following season (2012). That being said, if you dominate 3.5 in 2011 as you think you will, odds are that you will be bumped to 4.0 at the end of the 2011 season anyway...so you might as well get used to playing the 4.0 level anyway.

dizzlmcwizzl
10-24-2010, 06:30 AM
If you think you are going to be computer rated 3.5 at the end of this season (2010), playing 4.0 next season at the same time as playing 3.5 shouldn't affect your 3.5 rating during the course of the 2011 season. The computer rating should protect you from an in-season DQ. However, depending on your results, playing 4.0 next season will increase your changes of being bumped to 4.0 the following season (2012). That being said, if you dominate 3.5 in 2011 as you think you will, odds are that you will be bumped to 4.0 at the end of the 2011 season anyway...so you might as well get used to playing the 4.0 level anyway.

^^^^ Once you are compter rated you are protected from being bumped up (Unless you lied when you self rated). I would suggest you play 3.5 and 4.0. It is a good way to transition from 3.5 to 4.0 while still having success on the court.

As far as a lukewarm reception from 3.5 captains ... this is understandable, when they bring in someone other players on the team lose time and they do not want to waste a spot on someone they are unsure of. Play 4.0. Of the 3.5 teams that express interest take the one that will give you the most play time, regardless of the strength of the team and have fun.

nickarnold2000
10-24-2010, 07:23 AM
Congratulations on the weight loss! It feels good to be lighter, doesn't it? IMO, tennis is a great way to help keep the lbs off(for me at least) because I hate losing due to lack of court movement ie. being overweight. :)

OrangePower
10-24-2010, 08:31 AM
Last year was my first year playing USTA at 3.5 I went 5 - 3 and for the most part it looks like I am going to be a computer rated 3.5 this year.

The thing about that though is I was coming back into the sport after taking a 10ish year layoff, I was 250 lbs and had very bad arthritic ankles.

At the end of this year I am 212 lbs, I am moving better than I have in the last 7 or 8 years and I recently beat 3 weaker 4.0's in non USTA league play.

I have contacted a few captains from last years 3.5 league and there is some interest, though not much (what a bummer).

I have also been asked if perhaps I would want to play 4.0

I really want to have a dominate year in 3.5 this year, and was wondering if playing 4.0 concurrently could affect my status as a 3.5 player?

What do you think?

Thanks!

It sounds like you are playing at 4.0 level. As others have said however, you can safely play both 3.5 and 4.0 without being DQ'd, since you are computer rated.

My suggestion: If you have time for both 3.5 and 4.0, then you should play both. But if you have time for only only league, play 4.0. You will improve much faster that way.

Jim A
10-24-2010, 08:55 AM
if you want to get on a good team play some late season/early season tournaments get some results and f/u with the good teams or just ask for hit with them and go from there.