PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Ncode 6.1 95

geissner
06-04-2005, 07:52 PM
I just got a Wilson Ncode 6.1 95 strung with Technifibre
X-1 Bi-Phase 17 @ 58 lbs.
I am having trouble with control with this set-up. I am a highly
ranked 4.0 singles player with an all-court game built around
a hard slice backhand groundstroke and approach.

I was using a LM Prestige MP.

I could use a suggestion for a better combination of string and tension.
Because I do not string my own rackets I don't want to use different
strings in the crosses and mains.

Thanks

TennsDog
06-05-2005, 08:13 AM
Iso-Speed Control is a great string that I am currently using in my Six-One 95. It has sweet feel and great control. It is really a great string for the price.

man-walking
06-05-2005, 09:22 AM
About elastic strings, like gut, syngut, multifilament, I'd suggest you to NOT go thinner than the 16 gauge with nSixOne 95 (16x18 ).

Also, you could try good poliesters of 17/18 gauge at mid tension or something like ALU BB Original at mid-low tension (this last could reduce the sweet-spot but that is the tradeoff which gives you control and precision, with every frame).

The racquet is a bit stiff and powerful itself, but has nice dynamic flex capability. You could also look yourself at the construction, it's quite rounded.

Ah, do not tame too much power, n6.1 95 has some insane spin "inside" that many other frames doesn't have, instead to keep it too tight you have to adjust your strokes...
(and AVOID wristy forehands)

thejackal
06-05-2005, 12:30 PM
I use Hurricane 18 mains and Ektalon crosses at 55/54 on my HPS 6.1. It plays very well IMO. Maybe use 17 or 16 gauge mains to tame the extra power of the n6-1.

black_spin
06-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Hey man_walking what do you mean avoid wristy forehands? Surely you don't mean avoid laying the wrist back

man-walking
06-05-2005, 03:15 PM
No, I mean to not keep load to the wrist to impart top-spin.

rooski
06-05-2005, 03:55 PM
I just got a Wilson Ncode 6.1 95 strung with Technifibre
X-1 Bi-Phase 17 @ 58 lbs.
I am having trouble with control with this set-up. I am a highly
ranked 4.0 singles player with an all-court game built around
a hard slice backhand groundstroke and approach.

I was using a LM Prestige MP.

I could use a suggestion for a better combination of string and tension.
Because I do not string my own rackets I don't want to use different
strings in the crosses and mains.

Thanks
Just bump the tension up a bit. I play a lively syn gut at 61 and don't have any problem with control at all. You may also just need to get used to the racket. Open patterned (16x18) rackets like the N6195 will always have a little bit more pop than the the tight patterned (18x20) frames like the Prestige. Plus, also keep in mind...58lbs in a Prestige feels very different from 58 in a N6195. When I strung my old iPrestige MP's at 61 they felt like a board yet 61 in an N61 feels like velvet ;)

Babolat
06-05-2005, 04:02 PM
I highly suggest the Babolat Tonic+ 15L, that is if you are not a frequent string breaker. It has the perfect blend of power and control. It also never loses tension until it breaks.

TennsDog
06-05-2005, 04:38 PM
(and AVOID wristy forehands)
No, I mean to not keep load to the wrist to impart top-spin.
I have a 'wristy' forehand because that is the only way I can get any decent amount of topspin, let alone control the shot. I know the idea is to use the low to high racket path to generate topspin, but that just gives very little spin and balls sailing to the fence. Any good ways to learn a less wristy forehand?

volleys_tennis_master
06-05-2005, 09:36 PM
I have found that any strings work on the 18x20 version. The trick is to string it as tight a tension as possible

Baseline Basher
06-05-2005, 10:30 PM
I would definetly get hybrid strings. (Different strings in corsses and mains.) A stringer at a pro shop should be able to do it, and if they can't, ask how they got their job. Hybrids let you get more power, more control, and more spin all at once.