PDA

View Full Version : Question: During Tournament Finals Match

carol4832
10-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Balls from the next court keep on coming on our court during match play.
Loud Talking, Multiple Entries\exits (with a damn creaking gate door) During critical Points from next court.

So Guys here it is. I was in the 3rd set of a singles finals match going into the fourth hour of play, when a ball (just one many before) caused me to replay a point (that i had already won, but had to replay it and lost, cost me a game) anyways. so i told the guy on the next court, would you please watch the balls, loudness, traffic, because we are deep into a close finals match please !!.

So the guy gets ****ed off and wants to pick a fight with me right there, then his wife starts in on it.... i start getting all ****ed off etc...

by the time all this crap is over, im freakin tweaked over this !!! are there any rules on this !!! i ended up losing this match in the 3rd set breaker because this broad keeps on yelling at me from the court next to me, and all i want to do is beat the living crap out of her husband...

Are There Any Rules On This !!!!! please :evil:

Devilito
10-24-2010, 02:59 PM
The tournament supervisor should have handled it.

carol4832
10-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Do you think that that is something that i could protest with the scta, so that it does not effect my ranking ?

tennis tom
10-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Were the "players" next to you part of the tournament? Was there a USTA official on site?

carol4832
10-24-2010, 06:32 PM
No They were not in the tournament. they were just hitting the ball around, unfortunately there were no officials on site. However it was a usta sanctioned event.

the tournament was held at a public facility, so they felt that they were entitled to be there, even after we told them that the courts were reserved for tournament play.

The clubhouse were the staff running the place is about 150 yards from the courts we were on, so the matches were unsupervised.

I have been playing a long time and this was a first. by the time we could get word to anyone, the damage had been done.

arche3
10-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Your opponent had the same distractions. So over all it would of evened out. You lost. Move on. don't let it (the noise, etc...) get to you next time. It is annoying to play lets when you win a point. But that is just part of recreational tennis.

J_R_B
10-26-2010, 06:50 AM
you were right to ask them to knock it off, but as soon as they took the low road and became a-holes about it, you should have seeked someone (tourny director, USTA official, or even just the cloubhouse staff) to rectify the situation. You can't let yourself become angry and engage in the shenanigans with the rude a-holes.

beernutz
10-26-2010, 08:16 AM
I was in a similar situation last year in the semi's of a club tournament. There were 3 courts being used with a gazebo on one end where the tourny food and scorecards were located along with most of the players who weren't playing. Like this:

Gazebo CourtA CourtB CourtC

I was on CourtB playing a 10 point tie breaker which had gotten to 8 all when a loud, almost shouted, conversation starts up between players warming up on CourtC and other players standing in the Gazebo. We play on and on and their idiotic conversation went on and on to the point that I finally lost it and yelled at them both. It was something along the lines of "we're at 10 all in a 10 point tie break so do you think you can give us a break?" I think I used my outside voice.

My point is I wish I had been cooler about it. Maybe the loud talkers didn't know where we were in the match or maybe they were just inconsiderate but in any case I regret losing a bit of composure. As others have said I should have gone to the tourney director and gotten him involved if it was really bothering me so much. In the big scheme of things it was just some meaningless little club tourney and the interruptions were not something I should have let get under my skin. Life is too short.

jdubbs
10-26-2010, 11:08 AM
If I was in the near court I would just stop my serve and stare at them until they noticed me waiting on them to finish their conversation. That silent glare usually works.

The last tournament I played, there was a swim meet going on at the same time, so when the superloud swim cheers from each of the teams were going on, I just waited to serve. Then, I kid you not, chanting yoga from the room next door where they had opened the door for the heat, permeated the court, competing with the hip hop the guys at the front desk were playing, which I could also hear.

I guess its just all part of it, we're not pros and we can't really expect a lot of quiet at tournaments.

jswinf
10-26-2010, 12:10 PM
If the courts were reserved for your tournament, why not hoof it over to the clubhouse between games and ask the staff to boot the goofuses?