PDA

View Full Version : To stencil or not to stencil

Centryx
10-24-2010, 07:20 PM
If you string someone else's racquet should you always stencil it for them? Or should you ask them first?

Also if you string someones racquet with blackcode or rpm blast what color do you use normally on the stenciling?

kkm
10-24-2010, 07:25 PM
If you string someone else's racquet should you always stencil it for them? Or should you ask them first?

Also if you string someones racquet with blackcode or rpm blast what color do you use normally on the stenciling?

Always ask.
For black string, probably white or silver stencil ink.

Centryx
10-24-2010, 07:51 PM
ohh where do you get silver?

kkm
10-25-2010, 04:25 AM
ohh where do you get silver?

Head, Tecnifibre, Wilson

Kyle7286
10-25-2010, 04:32 AM
I usually ask if I feel like stenciling... Some people dont like the Ink on their strings..

dgdawg
10-25-2010, 05:19 AM

In my community, a stenciled string bed means 1 of 2 things:
You either just bought your racquet from a "box store" or you're sponsored.
I started stenciling HS players school initials. That was pretty popular but the stencil was "direction specific" and didn't turn out so well, so we stopped that.
I do the occasional peace sign or smiley face, but that's about it.

drakulie
10-25-2010, 06:58 AM
Pro shop I work at stencils all racquets (free of charge), unless the customer specifically asks for it not to be stenciled.

At the club I string at, the customer fills out an information card where it asks if they want their racquet stenciled (free of charge).

For my own clients, I stencil their frames unless they spcifically ask for it not to be stenciled.

For black strings, I use white babolat ink or silver. That said, neither works too good.

The_Question
10-25-2010, 07:36 AM
Never cause ink cost money...

Will do it, if they ask for it...

Rabbit
10-25-2010, 08:36 AM
Around here, at least for the guys, stenciling has a certain "Wannabe" connotation. Most of the pro shops will do it, but only if asked.

About the only stencils I see are the Babolat two-liners and that is usually regardless of the racquet type or string used. :) There are a couple of guys I string for who do like stenciling and I do it for them gratis.

I went both ways with my frames. Currently, I have the AeroStorms stenicled.

drakulie
10-25-2010, 08:57 AM
^^oddly enough,,,,,,, like you, I rarely if ever stencil my frame.

Ash_Smith
10-25-2010, 09:35 AM
I finish all racquets with a stencil, overgrip and bag 'n' tag and all for free - because i'm nice like that!!! (unless asked otherwise).

Ash

Rabbit
10-25-2010, 12:18 PM
^^^^
Yep, I've started re-wrapping overgrips as well (right now as long as they're Tournagrip but will be getting more overgrips for regular customers and doing it free).

Rabbit
10-25-2010, 12:20 PM
^^oddly enough,,,,,,, like you, I rarely if ever stencil my frame.

yeah, I kinda go through phases. For a while, playing with a thicker poly, I used the stencil or lack thereof to help guage when I should restring. :)

Then, at about the start of spring league, I quit doing it and didn't stencil again until after Senior 4.5 regionals. I didn't do it again until I strung my AeroStorms with some of the RPM Blast I purchased and thought the white was too cool to resist.

jhutch
10-25-2010, 06:28 PM
I finish all racquets with a stencil, overgrip and bag 'n' tag and all for free - because i'm nice like that!!! (unless asked otherwise).

Ash

I bet you some of go home, take off the overgrip, throw the bag away, and rub off the stencil.

heat010
10-25-2010, 06:54 PM
I enjoy doing my own stenciling. I have a certified stringer do all my rackets since I want to make sure the string job lasts the longest and since I do all my frames with Babolat VS touch 16 gauge I do the old school red double lines manually and do some touching up after a few matches so it looks fresh.

bugeyed
10-25-2010, 07:16 PM
I enjoy doing my own stenciling. I have a certified stringer do all my rackets since I want to make sure the string job lasts the longest and since I do all my frames with Babolat VS touch 16 gauge I do the old school red double lines manually and do some touching up after a few matches so it looks fresh.

Babolat stencil color is black or white, not red! :)

Cheers,
kev
Edit: Oh, the VS stencil! I was thinking Babolat. Sorry, should have snapped, did my share of those, but guess I have a case of color dementia!

coachrick
10-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Babolat stencil color is black or white, not red! :)

Cheers,
kev

He DID say 'old school'. Age has its privileges. :)

Now, where's my VS stencil? :)

heat010
10-25-2010, 09:46 PM
He DID say 'old school'. Age has its privileges. :)

Now, where's my VS stencil? :)

Thanks for remembering the good old days when the classic red double lines was the subtle indicator of using some of the greatest strings of that time.

Ash_Smith
10-25-2010, 11:49 PM
I bet you some of go home, take off the overgrip, throw the bag away, and rub off the stencil.

That maybe, but it shows care and attention when their racquet is returned like that and 99% of my customers love it when they get their racquet back all dressed up!

Ash

coachrick
10-26-2010, 08:08 AM
I have to say that I've seen a few cases of a customer NOT wanting a stencil OR wanting to do their own custom job. For example, Jimmy Connors did NOT want me to stencil his 'Estusa' sticks that I strung just before his fantastic last 'hurrah' at the US Open. He wanted to do it himself!

But for 'mere mortal' customers, I would want to make sure they wanted something that would be 'permanent'...an overgrip is easy to remove, a stencil--not so much.

The key is to know your customer. Heck, some folks PREFER a WORN overgrip and wouldn't enjoy a shiny new one after they had gotten the old one 'just right'. Let's be careful out there!

Edit: I've also had numerous clients remove the bag and give it back to me. Others have saved them until the next stringing, still others use them for wet shirts, etc. during/after a match. Different strokes...