PDA

View Full Version : String Machine Advice Needed ???

Tennis16
10-25-2010, 06:54 AM
Starting a full time at home stringing service. Any recommendations for a machine within a 500.00 dollar budget ? Was thinking of the Alpha Pioneer ?
Thanks

Kevo
10-25-2010, 10:57 AM
If you're going to be stringing full time, I think something a little faster would be better. The Pioneer is a good machine, but I wouldn't consider it for high volume stringing myself. $500 though is probably not enough to get a good upright machine unless you go used or an Eagnas.

Do you have any idea what your volume will be when you start. If your initial volume is decent, then I'd recommend going with something a little higher end.

Tennis16
10-25-2010, 01:37 PM
I am doing 20 rackets a week right now on a Klippermate. I hope it goes to 30, but don't yet. Any suggestions ?? Thanks

Parker512
10-25-2010, 01:59 PM
what are you charging this is going to be your full timew job?

mikeler
10-25-2010, 03:18 PM
I own the Gamma X-ST. It's just above your price range but we can talk about it when we meet for our string exchange next week.

Tennis16
10-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Charging 15.00 labor plus string.

Kevo
10-26-2010, 06:26 AM
Do yourself a favor and spend a little more if you can't find a deal on a used machine. At 20 frames a week, you are making $300 a week on labor. At that rate, you can pay for a nice upright machine in less than a month. It should reduce your stringing time noticeably, and it will be paid for in short order. It will also have better resale if you need to get out of the biz later.

Tennis16
10-26-2010, 07:27 AM
You don't think the Alpha Pioneer machine would be sufficient ?

Merlin703
10-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Tennis16, I can't PM you so I have no way to contact you directly and off line.... anyway, would you post a youtube video of you using your Klipper with a Babola racquet and the RMP Blast? I just bought a Klipper, switched to RPM blast and plan on stringing my own racquet and a simple from beginning to end with the same stringing machine and same racquet would be really helpful. You don't have to narrate... a video can say a million worlds :mrgreen:

tennisman917
10-26-2010, 11:15 AM

If i were you, i would add a 150 more to the original 500 and get an alpha revo 4000, for one that is a top quality machine, second you know with alpha comes great customer service, and lastly you know your money will be well spent. But thats just my opinion.

Parker512
10-26-2010, 12:02 PM
If i were you, i would add a 150 more to the original 500 and get an alpha revo 4000, for one that is a top quality machine, second you know with alpha comes great customer service, and lastly you know your money will be well spent. But thats just my opinion.

Or get the the used Revo 4000 right now on tw for $500. Go to the for sale section the pictures he sent me were good but it was a little expensive for me.

Nellie
10-26-2010, 12:36 PM
I own a revo 4000, but if I was stringing for money, I would look at getting a used crank with stand. Bending over a table to work for 30 racquets a week would not be fun. Also, I am often having to pull pretty hard on knots, and don't like the flimsy feeling of a table stringer on a high cart.

mad dog1
10-26-2010, 02:02 PM
I am doing 20 rackets a week right now on a Klippermate. I hope it goes to 30, but don't yet. Any suggestions ?? Thanks

since u're doing that much volume, i recommend going w/ a upright machine becuz u'll be able to string faster on an upright machine. i'd specifically recommend the new stringway ms200. i've owned a few eagnas machines, a prince neos 1000, a gamma 6004 and have strung on my friend's older stringway ms200dx. of this bunch, the older stringway had some design "flaws" that the newer stringway has addressed. even with these design flaws the older stringway still produced the most consistent string job. just my 0.02

mikeler
10-26-2010, 02:02 PM
I own a revo 4000, but if I was stringing for money, I would look at getting a used crank with stand. Bending over a table to work for 30 racquets a week would not be fun. Also, I am often having to pull pretty hard on knots, and don't like the flimsy feeling of a table stringer on a high cart.

The $99 stand for my Gamma X-ST was well worth the extra $100. I also bought the $40 cover. Finally, I added caster wheels to the stand and I can move it in front of the TV to watch football.

Kevo
10-26-2010, 03:07 PM

It would be sufficient, but for someone who strings that many frames a week, I think you would appreciate an upright machine fairly quickly. If I did that many frames a week, I'd probably upgrade to the Stringway MS200 as well.

Currently I only string for a few friends and some of the local high school kids. Typically I only do about 5 frames in a week. I'm currently using the Stringway ML100 which I upgraded to from the Eagnas Challenger 1. The Challenger 1 is pretty much the same machine as the Pioneer, and the ML100 was well worth the money I spent on it. The only complaint I have is the included tools actually seem less functional than the Eagnas tools if you can believe that. Hopefully they've upgraded them since I bought mine.

Tennis16
10-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the replies and advice. I sincerely appreciate it.

Tennis16
10-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Merlin703 send me an e mail at GSMatchpoint@gmail.com regarding using the Klippermate stringer.

Merlin703
10-27-2010, 07:26 AM
Merlin703 send me an e mail at GSMatchpoint@gmail.com regarding using the Klippermate stringer.

Sending email now... my name is Rafael, in case your mail system blocks it.

Tennis16
11-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I think I will be going with the Gamma Progression St 2. I can get a refurbished unit for 500.00 with full warranty.

archer
11-11-2010, 12:09 PM
If you're serious, and it sounds like you are, get the best machine you can afford. I was interested in getting a machine last year...just to do my own racquets and the group of people I play with. I found a guy on Craig's List selling his son's setup because the kid was leaving for college. Anyhow, I bought an Alpha Apex II with a wise electronic tension head, all the tools and several reels of string came with it...also a calibrator and starting clamp. All for $800. The machine is killer! and the electronic head with pedal is great. I would look for a similar deal on a high-end machine and spend a little more money if you have to. Also, don't be the "cheap guy." Don't give the work away for free. Be competive, it's a valuable skill and service you offer...a lot people just don't get it. Cheers!

dgdawg
11-12-2010, 05:06 AM
If you're serious, and it sounds like you are, get the best machine you can afford. I was interested in getting a machine last year...just to do my own racquets and the group of people I play with. I found a guy on Craig's List selling his son's setup because the kid was leaving for college. Anyhow, I bought an Alpha Apex II with a wise electronic tension head, all the tools and several reels of string came with it...also a calibrator and starting clamp. All for $800. The machine is killer! and the electronic head with pedal is great. I would look for a similar deal on a high-end machine and spend a little more money if you have to. Also, don't be the "cheap guy." Don't give the work away for free. Be competive, it's a valuable skill and service you offer...a lot people just don't get it. Cheers!

Dude...you got a h*ll of a deal....Good find!!!!!!!

archer
11-12-2010, 07:51 AM
I know, I was super lucky...and the transaction with the seller was smooth sailing. I know buying on Craig's List can be sketchy. Anyhow, I as far as I'm concerned, I'm all set...never have to upgrade! I spent about $300 more than I wanted to, but it was well worth it.

jim e
11-12-2010, 02:09 PM

Good post Archer!You are very much correct!!!
You got a great deal there. And you are correct that it is a skill, and too many offer it for 1/2 of nothing, so they have to cut corners to make it worth their while, and I cannot figure that. I remember watching a stringer in a big box store installing 2 strings and pulling once for all mains and cross strings. It was a terrible sight to see. He was very fast , but would be better offering quality for a higher fee rather than cutting corners.
42 years ago,when I 1st started stringing I charged $10.00 labor + string price. Needless to say, that has increaseed.Seems like cost of living and inflation never caught up with stringers fees, gasoline prices were around 28 cents/ gal back then.You are correct it is a valuable skill and service, with equipment and inventory (I have over $1000.00 just in nat.gut inventory), with all that I would not give it away like some do on these boards. Yes, I string some friends for free, but others its my times worth, and I charge for that like any other buisness would.