PDA

View Full Version : Stringing Machine

teknix1
10-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Hi all,

I know this topic has been discussed at nauseam but I can't seem to find a straight answer. Plus I think I'm in a bit of a particular position. So I need some help.

I am mostly a badminton player. I play twice a week. I also play tennis on occasion (taking tennis lessons once a week during the winter and play here and there during summer). I generally like racquet sports, like squash, etc... So I play those as well. The main issue now is that I'm breaking my badminton strings about once a month to a month and a half. Quickly this is becoming expensive as it's about 30$ everytime.

So with that in mind, I am looking for a stringing machine. I don't really know too much about this, I mean I've been reading online but everytime it's about a machine for either only for tennis or only for badminton racquets, usually not both. I read that two point support isn't great for badminton as it's not preventing the frame from deforming under pressure.

The idea here is to eventually make this profitable. Not that I want to start a business but if I can cut the stringing cost from 30 to 10 or so bucks, I'm making 20 dollars everytime. So an inexpensive one is what I'm after, I'm also afraid of hating the darn thing six months down the line.

The cheap-o ones I found are these:
Eagnas Hawk 20
Gamma X2
ATS Super Stringer 2

Is this a bad idea or should I absolutely go for something better?

I don't have a Rockefeller budget as this is mostly a christmas present. I'm kind of thinking I need 4 point support to have a cross between tennis and badminton. What about the clamps, can I have one set of clamps for both types of rackets?

Please advise!

Sorry for the long message and thank you in advance.
Nicolas

topanlego
10-25-2010, 12:57 PM
String Pal. Comes with badminton clamps.

teknix1
10-25-2010, 03:05 PM
The Alpha String Pal looks just like the other 3 I mentioned with the exception that it has the badminton clamps. Same problem, is it not? Will I be able to do both tennis and badminton racquets?

I noticed it is also a 2 point mounting system. Don't I need 4? I really don't know what is a must what isn't...

Thanks

jim e
10-25-2010, 03:19 PM
If you are looking for badminton then watch this video, and maybe you don't even need a machine and string like they do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilxl82y2uTA

They can string 700 racquets/ week for $22.00

PBODY99
10-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Have you tried Badminton Central.com? Their forum will have more players. I have only done less than twenty frames in 25 years, on a two point machine, with no problems.

teknix1
10-25-2010, 07:12 PM
I kind of wonder how they get the tension required after weaving the entire thing. I had the impression you absolutely had to do it all while stringing. Geez 22$ for 700 racquets, that about 3 cents each. That's crazy.

I'll try to post at badminton central.

Thanks
Nic