PDA

View Full Version : Any update on the Head Protector Racquet?

goober
06-04-2005, 10:16 PM
Specs look pretty elbow unfriendly but just wanted to see if anybody has tried out the racquet. They don't seem to be on sale on the internet anywhere except **** and classifieds.

Tennisaurus
06-05-2005, 06:05 PM
I have been looking and have not found any "actual use" comments either.

I was intrigued about this racquet when it was highligted in one of the top tennis mags late last year. I called Head and they would not sell to individuals - only to Pro shops. I called my Pro shop, but they would not be offering it, (limited marketing appeal?) so - no demo was available. I called Tennis Warehouse and they could not supply this racquet due to Head's limited distribution only to Pro shops.

I agree, the specs do seem "arm unfriendly". I have been dealing with tennis elbow for approx 1 yr and was hopeful that this racquet could be helpful - but I have not found a demo available to test. In the meanwhile I acquired a ProKennex 5g and 7g and and am happy to be playing again - with reduced discomfort. I am ratcheting up the intensity of my play carefully, and am hopeful that with these racquets I can return to playing without my forearm brace over the next few months.

I find Head's marketing strategy with the Head Protector bizarre. I, too, only see them on ****. Maybe, they just don't work.

I would like to hear from others, too. Any actual user opinions out there?

goober
06-05-2005, 07:10 PM
I find Head's marketing strategy with the Head Protector bizarre. I, too, only see them on ****. Maybe, they just don't work.

I agree completely bizarre. If these things really work why wouldn't they sell them with a wide distribution like Pro Kennex? My local pro shop actually does have it for $300, but they do not have demos for some reason. $300 is a lot of dough to put down for something that I can't try and I can't find any reviews or actual user comments anywhere.

Tennisaurus
06-05-2005, 08:24 PM
Well, if they really worked, then, they would be flying off the shelves, even at $300. We would know it by now.

I guess you can't take the reviews in tennis mags at face value!

Richard Baca
06-05-2005, 09:37 PM
All, sorry to butt into your conversation, but I got interested in your discussion about the Protector. I've got a combination of shoulder issues that don't appear to have a medical solution. That is, they are mostly related to overuse, and surgery doesn't appear to be an option.

I am a 66 year old 3.5 - 4.0 player who has been resting and trying to rehab his shoulder for the last six months. Before yesterday, I hadn't played since late December of last year. Since about '97-'98 I have been using a first generation PK 5g. Is my solution a newer 5g? How much "life" does a racquet have before it becomes petrified?

Does the Protector, or any other racquet, actually absorb shock better than the 5g? I work overseas -- currently, in Afghanistan -- so I can't really hop down to my local pro-shop. (I know you're wondering. We have an unsurfaced cement court at the U.S. Embassy. No bounce, just very low skids!).

Any advice? I don't want to rest a week after everytime I play. Racquet Research apparently stopped evaluating racquets some time ago, so I need a little help. Thanks, Richard

Bora
06-06-2005, 06:34 AM
Richard, I had several shoulder/elbow problems but was able to play quite well using the Head LM Radical OS, or Yonex MP Tour 5. Both of them are very flexible and have enough weight to absorb shock. The Tour 5 had more spin and was a joy to serve with. The Radical had more control. I strung them with natural gut hybrids or high-end multifilament strings.

Richard Baca
06-07-2005, 03:27 AM
Bora, thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate the advice. Richard

Gaines Hillix
06-07-2005, 06:42 AM
All, sorry to butt into your conversation, but I got interested in your discussion about the Protector. I've got a combination of shoulder issues that don't appear to have a medical solution. That is, they are mostly related to overuse, and surgery doesn't appear to be an option.

I am a 66 year old 3.5 - 4.0 player who has been resting and trying to rehab his shoulder for the last six months. Before yesterday, I hadn't played since late December of last year. Since about '97-'98 I have been using a first generation PK 5g. Is my solution a newer 5g? How much "life" does a racquet have before it becomes petrified?

Does the Protector, or any other racquet, actually absorb shock better than the 5g? I work overseas -- currently, in Afghanistan -- so I can't really hop down to my local pro-shop. (I know you're wondering. We have an unsurfaced cement court at the U.S. Embassy. No bounce, just very low skids!).

Any advice? I don't want to rest a week after everytime I play. Racquet Research apparently stopped evaluating racquets some time ago, so I need a little help. Thanks, Richard

Other ways to address arm problems are with nat gut strings, lower tension and a more cushioned grip.

Lakoste
06-07-2005, 08:45 PM
theres one on **** right now
http://cgi.*********/ws/****ISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22714&item=7160033840&rd=1

did you read the tech. on this racquet, theres all the micro hips and gizmos inside it, what if one thing breaks on the inside, will head replace it?

Richard Baca
06-08-2005, 03:06 AM
Gaines Hillix: thanks. I can't recall the name of the string I'm using, but the stringer recommended it as the softest he knew of, and I replaced the PK 5g grip with Wilson sponge grips. I am going to order the Yonex Bora recommended and I'll go ahead and give nat gut a try. Thanks for your suggestion. Richard

bigshark
06-10-2005, 07:53 PM
I demo the Head Protector MP racket last week b/c my local pro shop had it (Princeton ski). The reason why I tried it was not b/c I have or ever had any tennis elbow problems but I have a wrist problem. The salesperson at the pro shop said 'Since it takes out a lot of shock, it SHOULD help your wrist'. It plays well (like a Liquidmetal racket with several dampeners on it) and it has a very damp feeling to it but it did nothing for my wrist. It still hurt afterwards but it doesn't mean it doesn't work for the elbow. I let my pro try it and he didn't like it. He said it sends shock to the wrist. I think he's right. Hopefully there will be someone with tennis elbow who would write a review on it.

Tennisaurus
06-19-2005, 08:42 AM
Doesn't seem like there are any opinions on actual use of a Head Protector racquet by someone dealing with Tennis Elbow/Golfers Elbow.

Anyone with tennis elbow tried this one out? Any thoughts to share?

volklguy
06-19-2005, 05:10 PM
i don't suffer from tennis elbow, but i did demo this racquet --- my club has two demos in different head sizes.

these things play nicely; however, very powerfully. not much feel because they have this huge dampener incasing most of the mains. very dampened feel.

NoBadMojo
06-19-2005, 05:33 PM
there are two versions of this frame...a MP and an over....both play very softly, but are for players from beginner to 3.5 i would say .they are specialty frames.they weigh like nothing and are stiff and i think. the oversize is even head heavy, but head put all kinds of dampening things into them and even have a Protector string..so Head gets to give people TE by making crappy stiff too light frames and then they market something to take away what they have caused.
Disclaimer: this is not a personal attack on anyone who plays at the 3.5 level and below or anyone w. TE probs