PDA

View Full Version : Demographics of the NTRP

MomentumGT
10-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Hi guys,

Can someone point me to the right direction on statistics on the demographics of all registered USTA League players, current year and past? More specifically on how many people are rated at each NTRP level. I used the search function put not finding what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance.

-Jon

sureshs
10-26-2010, 02:23 PM
70% are 3.5 or 4.0

MomentumGT
10-26-2010, 02:26 PM
70% are 3.5 or 4.0

Thanks. I remember a thread earlier this year about the bumps the USTA did and someone posted a graph with a link but I couldn't find it using the search function.

-Jon

SJS
10-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Is this what you want?

http://www.usta.com/Play-Tennis/USTA-League/Information/Year_End_Ratings/

There's a graph with the exact numbers at each level and how many moved up and down.

Jack the Hack
10-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Hi guys,

Can someone point me to the right direction on statistics on the demographics of all registered USTA League players, current year and past? More specifically on how many people are rated at each NTRP level. I used the search function put not finding what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance.

-Jon

I think you might be referring to my recent post in the "really a 4.0?" thread. This and the link that SJS posted should probably give you the numbers you were looking for...

When someone says "yeah, I'm about a 3.5 to 4.0" they usually don't really have any idea what they are talking about. Those people are the ones that over-rate themselves.

However, if you can go into TennisLink and see that a player has a 3.5 or 4.0 computer generated rating, then they have earned it through play against other players, so it's more legitimate. That's not to say that there aren't vast differences even within those ranges. I've hammered players 6-0, 6-0 who had the same rating as me, but they were either on the other end of the spectrum or just had a bad match-up in playing style.

As for the bell-curve part of your question, this is true. The ratings do follow a curve, and within the USTA League, 3.5 has the highest number of participants in the rating system. Here are the 2009 numbers after the controversial year-end ratings recalculation:

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy323/vic94597bucket/levels.jpg

The USTA changed the formula and bumped up a lot of regular tournament and league players that were sandbagging down, but 3.5 is still the highest percentage of players.

As for player characteristics for each level, I hate getting into that game. Basically, results are all that matter to me when it comes to ratings.

Best example I've ever seen was a local guy a few years ago. Never played high school or college tennis, and just started playing the game in his mid-20s. His strokes looked like crap and he often played in running shoes. Most people who saw him thought he was just a weekend hack. However, I watched him take his ugly strokes and hustle to beat a top 20 ranked, 5.0 rated player in one of the national 35 and over tournaments in straight sets. While fundamentals count, it really doesn't matter how nice your stroke production is. The guy I'm talking about had ugly strokes that you'd associate with a 3.5, but probably had the talent and athletic ability to play 6.0+ level tennis if he had received the right coaching when he was younger.

For a real ratings comparison, all that matters is who you can consistently beat in actual tournaments or league matches.

Angle Queen
10-26-2010, 03:13 PM
^^ Those are some good numbers and charts.

Does anyone know of the age/gender makeup of the various levels? I would be very curious to see if we're "losing" the young folks USTA has worked so hard to develop. Sadly, most of the people I play League with...are old(er). Like me. Not to say that's necessarily a bad thing; in fact, there are probably few sports (other than golf) that show high participation with age. But it'd be nice if we saw a really good cross-section of ages. Everyone...brings something different to the table, even if we're technically the same NTRP.

I'm also somewhat concerned that we lose players with young children (childcare issues consume money and effort). There, I don't fault USTA...but I think some of the clubs so many of us join/play for could play an important role in keeping parents...as players. ;) Any thoughts?

MomentumGT
10-26-2010, 03:27 PM
^^ Those are some good numbers and charts.

Does anyone know of the age/gender makeup of the various levels? I would be very curious to see if we're "losing" the young folks USTA has worked so hard to develop. Sadly, most of the people I play League with...are old(er). Like me.

Thanks so much guys for pointing me in the right direction! :) :). Angle Queen you bring up a very good question as well, thanks.

-Jon

Spokewench
10-26-2010, 03:28 PM
[QUOTE=Angle Queen;5146708]^^ Those are some good numbers and charts.

Does anyone know of the age/gender makeup of the various levels? I would be very curious to see if we're "losing" the young folks USTA has worked so hard to develop. Sadly, most of the people I play League with...are old(er). Like me. Not to say that's necessarily a bad thing; in fact, there are probably few sports (other than golf) that show high participation with age. But it'd be nice if we saw a really good cross-section of ages. Everyone...brings something different to the table, even if we're technically the same NTRP.

I'm also somewhat concerned that we lose players with young children (childcare issues consume money and effort). There, I don't fault USTA...but I think some of the clubs so many of us join/play for could play an important role in keeping parents...as players. ;) Any thoughts?[/QUOTE

I believe the bottom line is that we are a baby boomer population. Just as the perentage of older people is higher because of this and social security will be getting hit; also tennis enrollment, etc. has a higher percentage of an older population.

OrangePower
10-26-2010, 03:52 PM
I think you might be referring to my recent post in the "really a 4.0?" thread. This and the link that SJS posted should probably give you the numbers you were looking for...

Um, Jack, I was meaning to point out on your earlier thread also... not to be anal about it or anything, but if you're going to repost data from other people's posts, you really should attribute it to them and not claim it as your own.

I put together the NTRP distribution graph about a year ago right after "the big bump". See my original post here:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=4161919&postcount=2

Jack the Hack
10-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Um, Jack, I was meaning to point out on your earlier thread also... not to be anal about it or anything, but if you're going to repost data from other people's posts, you really should attribute it to them and not claim it as your own.

I put together the NTRP distribution graph about a year ago right after "the big bump". See my original post here:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=4161919&postcount=2

Fair enough... credit to OrangePower for originally graphing the data and posting it here in 2009.

I liked the graph so much, I saved it to my hard drive about a year ago and I had no idea who had originally created it when I dug it up for my post the other day.

(By the way, if you check my posting history, you'll see that more than 8 months went by between my visits earlier this year and my posts again the other day. I just don't come on this forum like I used to several years ago.)

dafox
10-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Hey Orange Power, Do you know when the NorCal USTA ratings are coming out for 2011? The NorCal USTA web site states that the ratings come out the first week of December, but I thought the ratings came out earlier than that last year??

OrangePower
10-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Hey Orange Power, Do you know when the NorCal USTA ratings are coming out for 2011? The NorCal USTA web site states that the ratings come out the first week of December, but I thought the ratings came out earlier than that last year??

If I remember correctly, the ratings last year came out in mid to late November. The date changes from year to year though, depending on when nationals took place and so on.

dafox
10-28-2010, 02:46 PM
thx for the response!

Angle Queen
10-28-2010, 03:04 PM
^^

I think OPwer is correct. It's usually the last week of November or the first week of December. Dates I have on some emails from years past fall within that range (11/30 to 12/03).