PDA

View Full Version : Throwing Elbow On Forehand

TennsDog
06-05-2005, 05:35 AM
I don't have a video of ot, which I know would help, but I have a question on the forehand and what the elbow does. I use a western grip and so have the "windshield wiper" motion on my forehand (god, I hate that term). I got a case of tennis elbow from my serve, but my forehand also hurts it once I have TE. I noticed, while going through my swing in slow motion, that this motion of turning my wrist up and over forces the elbow to be thrown up. I thought about it and realized that during a normal swing, this motion would be somewhat violent and could be why it hurts. Would switching to a semiwestern grip possibly help this? I would like to try switching to SW, but I cannot get good topspin from the swing path, it all comes from the whipping of the racket head. Do you guys know what I am talking about with the elbow? If so, is this normal or should I try to change something, keeping in mind that my forehand is my second biggest weapon.

Kana Himezaki
06-05-2005, 09:24 AM
I think I know what you're talking about. When you're trying to hit the ball, the elbow moves out and away from the body before and after contact.

Focus on keeping the elbow in, you'll also get a more consistent forehand. Also, part of it has to do with...the term you hate, the "windshield wiper" motion. Part of the stress on your arm could be you trying to forcefully whip the racquet in that specific motion. Or put more simply, you're forcing the racquet over to the other side, part muscling the ball.

No excuses, even if you have a Western grip. Take your racquet back, allow it to DIP and push up and through the ball. All the topspin should come from your racquet coming under to over the ball, and pushing out as much as possible. You can vary the trajectory by where you push out to.

The racquet will naturally end up on the other side, and probably below your shoulder due to your grip.

More consistency, just as much or more topspin, more depth, just fix it. Less stress on the arm, most importantly to you. :P

TennsDog
06-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Every time I try to not whip the racket head around like that, I get very little topspin and a lot of depth, usually to the back fence or so. Also, how do pros like Nadal and Roddick get so much topspin without causing elbow problems?

Marius_Hancu
06-05-2005, 04:56 PM
if you can afford, get a subscription to
easitennis.com
for more advanced (and expensive) stuff, subscribe to
tennisplayer.net

Marius_Hancu
06-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Also, how do pros like Nadal and Roddick get so much topspin without causing elbow problems?

Roddick had elbow problems this year.
Clisters was operated 3 times on her wrist.

Many of them have arm problems. Not all are reported.

And I would not think what Nadal's doing (all his reverse FHs) can remain without some consequences on his arm. We'll see.

Marius_Hancu
06-05-2005, 05:06 PM
this might help:

Roddick's Forehand and the Modern Forehand in General
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=44502

Kana Himezaki
06-05-2005, 05:10 PM
You don't necessarily not have to whip it, you just shouldn't be forcing it to the other side. When I try to describe low to high motions, it usually helps to explain if you just:

Take your racquet back normally, let it dip, then push through the ball. Just try letting the racquet dip, try to keep your elbow in, and then see if you can whip through the ball like you usually do.

Marius_Hancu
06-05-2005, 05:11 PM
having the elbow problems you mention, I'd suggest reading the Elbow and Wrist sections in my signature here: