PDA

View Full Version : Samurai 1H Backhand

ktncnttl
06-05-2005, 07:53 AM
I would like to share with you my "invention", the samurai 1H backhand. You take back as you would a normal 1H backhand with your nondominant hand reversed. Imagine a samurai about to draw his sword. I don't think it adds power nor control but it sure looks cool. Try it if you have a onehanded backhand and you'll sure get some attention. Now where is my copyright for this stroke.

Kana Himezaki
06-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Wait, huh? You reverse the nondominant hand so it's on the bottom of the racquet? Then you swing with a higher grip?

No points for performance, lol. Not only will switching to the grip make it strange for moving into forehands, you won't be able to generate as much pace and spin, since the dominant hand is higher on the racquet. At least that's what I'm gathering from your post.

Or do you mean holding the other side of the throat when pulling back? That just makes it awkward. If you have a good onehander, you get attention anyway. :D

But I should mention that the swing path for a 1HB is similar to drawing a sword. XD Actually, it's almost the same. I think. Good enough for people to visualize, at least.

ktncnttl
06-05-2005, 09:36 AM
Wait, huh? You reverse the nondominant hand so it's on the bottom of the racquet? Then you swing with a higher grip?

No points for performance, lol. Not only will switching to the grip make it strange for moving into forehands, you won't be able to generate as much pace and spin, since the dominant hand is higher on the racquet. At least that's what I'm gathering from your post.

Or do you mean holding the other side of the throat when pulling back? That just makes it awkward. If you have a good onehander, you get attention anyway. :D

But I should mention that the swing path for a 1HB is similar to drawing a sword. XD Actually, it's almost the same. I think. Good enough for people to visualize, at least.

Hold the lower part (the part nearest to the racquet face) of the racquet handle with your nondominant hand so that the thumb is towards the butt cap. Now hold the upper part of the handle normally like you would a normal 1H backhand. Now you have the sumurai backhand. Wakarimashita?

nViATi
06-05-2005, 09:44 AM
Hold the lower part (the part nearest to the racquet face) of the racquet handle with your nondominant hand so that the thumb is towards the butt cap. Now hold the upper part of the handle normally like you would a normal 1H backhand. Now you have the sumurai backhand. Wakarimashita?
i think you meant 'wakarimasu ka'
and um... iie

Kana Himezaki
06-05-2005, 09:46 AM
Sou desu ne.

Kazoku wa YOUNIN desu! LOL.

ktncnttl
06-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Sou desu ne.

Kazoku wa YOUNIN desu! LOL.

kazoku wa younin to samurai backhand to wa douyuu kankei ga aru no ka wakaranai n desu.

ktncnttl
06-05-2005, 09:57 AM
i think you meant 'wakarimasu ka'
and um... iie

I think you have to watch more samurai movies and notice how they draw their swords.

Kana Himezaki
06-05-2005, 10:05 AM
"Kazoku wa younin desu" means...my family has four people. LOL. It's the coolest sentence ever. :P

You probably know more Japanese than me though, I'm a cheap third generation immigrant. Meaning all I know includes basic sentences, phrases I need to know when traveling in Japan, and horrible vocabulary. Which is pretty much whatever I pick up from listening to my older family speak, my parents just speak English too. :P