PDA

View Full Version : Approach Shots

wfudeac
06-05-2005, 10:09 AM
Should my approach shots be aimed down the line or crosscourt? Once I hit one, should I go to the service line T or move closer to the side of the court that the ball was hit into?

Thanks!

Kana Himezaki
06-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Almost always down the line. Always down the line unless your opponent's wing on the other side is horrible.

The reason being is that when approaching down the line, you cut off a lot more angles when moving up. You approach crosscourt, they have an open court to hit to, they don't even have to hit hard.

Move up closer to the side of the court the ball was into. When you're at the T, they have the option of passing down the line again. If the approach went off well, you'll often have a clean volley to the open court.

fist pump
06-05-2005, 11:45 AM
in theory you have to almost always hit down the line but you need to mix up the depth/spin .

Kana Himezaki
06-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Not just theory, it's a fact. :D Yes, mixing up the spin is good. HOWEVER, you shouldn't mix up the depth much. It should be as deep as possible.

You want the opponent to hit off the back foot, which results in a weaker and usually higher ball. Doing so requires depth, and enough pace/spin to force it. For this reason, even moonballs can be great approaches if the opponent has problems hitting them.

The whole idea of an approach is to force a weak reply, shorter balls don't really do that. For this reason, it is great to move to the net after a DTL shot when your opponent is on the run, if you know they have problems hitting a certain shot, or even if you hammer a ball after a crosscourt rally.

Also, moving in after down the line balls is actually the safest play. Not only is this change of direction usually meant as an attack and DTL shot ideal for net play, if you don't move up, there is a BIG, OPEN COURT for your opponent.

If they can get there fast enough, they shouldn't have too many problems hitting to the other side. You probably won't be on the offense anymore.