PDA

View Full Version : This is not right is it?

stever
10-29-2010, 07:55 AM
I am a self rated 3.5 player. I played my first USTA league in the Spring '10 and did just OK/poor for my first season I guess: 0-1 singles and maybe 2-7 or 3-6 in doubles. I practiced quite a bit in the summer and playing better now. I am now playing in the fall league(s): On my 3.5 team I am 4-1 in singles and 0-1 in doubles. I was asked to play on the 4.0 team as well because at the time they were short players. I think we have 15 now. I am 0-1 in singles and now 2*-1 in doubles. Here is the issue: This past Wednesday I was scheduled to play on the 4.0 team. I was not feeling well the morning of the match and e-mailed the whole team to see if anyone could play for me. The captain left me a message that if I could not play we would default as everyone else could not make it either. Before I was able to reply, he left me another message that everything was OK, and to stay home and get better. Fine. I happen to check TennisLink last night and to my surprise I played #3 double and won 6-0, 6-0 hence the reason for the *. I sent a note to the captain asking what is up and he replied: "Because they defaulted and you were originally scheduled". Shouldn't that court be a draw or something? Our team won the match 3-2 but I don't think that is right. The other issue is that now with my 4.0 record being better now, I am worried about DQd in 3.5 which would really suck as we have a chance to win the league. My 4.0 will not win the league.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for your responses. Have a great day.

tennis_tater
10-29-2010, 08:05 AM
I am a self rated 3.5 player. I played my first USTA league in the Spring '10 and did just OK/poor for my first season I guess: 0-1 singles and maybe 2-7 or 3-6 in doubles. I practiced quite a bit in the summer and playing better now. I am now playing in the fall league(s): On my 3.5 team I am 4-1 in singles and 0-1 in doubles. I was asked to play on the 4.0 team as well because at the time they were short players. I think we have 15 now. I am 0-1 in singles and now 2*-1 in doubles. Here is the issue: This past Wednesday I was scheduled to play on the 4.0 team. I was not feeling well the morning of the match and e-mailed the whole team to see if anyone could play for me. The captain left me a message that if I could not play we would default as everyone else could not make it either. Before I was able to reply, he left me another message that everything was OK, and to stay home and get better. Fine. I happen to check TennisLink last night and to my surprise I played #3 double and won 6-0, 6-0 hence the reason for the *. I sent a note to the captain asking what is up and he replied: "Because they defaulted and you were originally scheduled". Shouldn't that court be a draw or something? Our team won the match 3-2 but I don't think that is right. The other issue is that now with my 4.0 record being better now, I am worried about DQd in 3.5 which would really suck as we have a chance to win the league. My 4.0 will not win the league.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for your responses. Have a great day.

USTA National Regulations say that captains should notify opposing captains of "known defaults" ahead of time. See http://assets.usta.com/assets/1/15/Q%20A%20-%20Interpretations%20082010.pdf

Do you know if your captain had someone else available to play in your place? Maybe he did, but he just entered your name on tennis link for whatever reason.

As far as the 6-0, 6-0 score affecting your rating. It shouldn't. It's my understanding that 6-0 6-0 default scores are thrown out by the computer and aren't factored into your year end rating.

goober
10-29-2010, 08:30 AM

I figured out exactly who you are and what match you played based on your info that you gave and your location. You actually do have a problem. Your captain entered the match score as regular score not a default. When it is entered as a default win your opponents will show up as N/A, N/A and it will say default under your teams name even though the score will read 6-0, 6-0

You need him to change it to a default win or else it will count towards your rating.

JavierLW
10-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Ya, they need to mark it as default if they didnt already.

(it will still say 6-0, 6-0, but it wont count toward your ratings)

Otherwise it's not a big deal that they used your name in there, although it's kind of underhanded. That's one reason why some captains occasionally feel that they dont want to let the other captain know ahead of time that they are defaulting.

(otherwise had your captain let them know ahead of time that they were short then it would of either of been a double default or perhaps the other captain would of pretended that they had originally wanted 8 guys to show up....)

Cindysphinx
10-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Yeah, you don't know whether your captain had someone else who could play. It could have been someone who said, "I have a conflict but I will try to fly across time to make it on time." In that situation, I would not offer a default until I was sure the player wouldn't make it.

Regarding the use of your name, I am OK with that. If I know in advance I am receiving a default, I will sometimes award the default to an injured player or one who has not played much. The reason is that a player must play 2 matches (or 1 match and 1 default) to be eligible for the playoffs. I don't see a problem with doing this -- so long as I enter what is on the scorecards then I think I'm OK.

tennislefty
10-29-2010, 07:08 PM
your default is wiped from your record, bagels are cleared, defaults as well as wins..bummer..its just a record keeping score, and yes, 1 default can qualify you for playing twice..yup,,strange

li0scc0
10-30-2010, 05:32 AM
You have no worries with being DQ'd from 3.5...and it is doubtful given your overall record that you will be moved up to 4.0. I think you are safe.

brad1730
10-30-2010, 07:26 AM
I don't think your captain did anything unethical. As long as he felt that you would play, then I think it's OK. If he knew that you were too sick to play, then I think that's really poor sportsmanship. You sent an email asking for a sub - that's different that sending an email to your captain saying that you won't play.

stever
11-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. My captain got the results changed to default on the scores so all should be well.

fleabitten
11-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Stever,
How did your captain take it when you told him it should be not be a "win". Did it affect the outcome of the rubber?