PDA

View Full Version : Rules Question

tennis_tater
11-01-2010, 11:20 AM
I was playing doubles recently when my partner hit a perfect lob over our opponents' net player. The net player backpeddles and when the netplayer realizes he cannot hit an overhead, turns around, and upon seeing the ball bounce, says "out", but then immediatley corrects himself and says "no, it's in...keep playing" and his parnter crosses over and returns the ball that landed right on the baseline. Although I was sitting right at the end and was in perfect position to put away the opponent's ball, I caught the ball at the net and stopped play. I then said I didn't think a player could call a ball out, then change the call, then expect the opponents to continue play. Although I went ahead to told them to play the point over again (which we then lost), I had the feeling that the point should have been ours. What's the correct call?

SweetH2O
11-01-2010, 11:37 AM
From The Code:12. Out calls corrected. If a player mistakenly calls a ball “out” and then realizes it was good, the point shall be replayed if the player returned the ball within the proper court. Nonetheless, if the player’s return of the ball results in a “weak sitter,” the player should give the opponent the point. If the player failed to make the return, the opponent wins the point. If the mistake was
made on the second serve, the server is entitled to two serves.

IMO, the point is either replayed, or you get the point under the "weak sitter" provision.

Cindysphinx
11-01-2010, 11:45 AM
I think if you were at net and caught the ball with your hand, that is almost the definition of a "weak sitter." Point to you.

li0scc0
11-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Hindsight is 20/20, of course, but next time simply put the ball away (the weak sitter). Obviously that doesn't answer the initial question, which has been answered adequately. :)

athiker
11-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Hindsight is 20/20, of course, but next time simply put the ball away (the weak sitter). Obviously that doesn't answer the initial question, which has been answered adequately. :)

True, but of course if you play the "weak sitter" and flub it, the point stands as played in your opponents' favor. Similar to a hindrance call, you can't play the point and then go back in time and claim a hindrance.