PDA

View Full Version : Odd brands...

donnyz89
06-05-2005, 04:52 PM
odd brands like tecnifibre or power angle or estusa, why do ppl use their frames? they are not cheaper, so do they really have that one frame thats so unique and good that you cant find it in wilson/head/prince/babolat/etc??? or is being odd just something some ppl strive for?

MChong
06-05-2005, 05:08 PM
Why do you use a Babolat Pure Storm Team? It's essentially the same thing; you really have to realize that every racquet has a different feel to them that some people prefer. The question your asking, no offense, just seems ignorant. It's like asking why some people drive Car A when they can drive another lesser known albeit same quality, if not better, car.

ollinger
06-05-2005, 05:13 PM
The question is a fair one and, yes, some people strive to be different in some particular way. But "brand" here is not terribly meaningful since nearly all these frames are made in China, perhaps even in the same factory, and the differences among them are generally slight. That being the case, it makes as much sense to buy one or the other for cosmetic or idiosyncratic reasons as anything else.
________
Karin (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/karin)

donnyz89
06-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Why do you use a Babolat Pure Storm Team? It's essentially the same thing; you really have to realize that every racquet has a different feel to them that some people prefer. The question your asking, no offense, just seems ignorant. It's like asking why some people drive Car A when they can drive another lesser known albeit same quality, if not better, car.

cars is a much different story. the dealer, condition, price, milage, gas usage, convenience all plays a role. but for tennis racquet, i see this guy using an estusa, imo its one of the most ugly racquet around, ugly shape, color and i dont see how he can pick that racquet over all the other racquets around. i mean, true, he got his attention... ppl who buys radical, or prostaff dont get noticed as much but those are imo solid racquets and with all the variations among them i doubt some racquet from estusa or power angle is better.

and i use babolat because with the specs im looking for, thats the most familar racquet around and it felt good and looked good. there are racquet from tecnifibre that are similar but y?

nothing wrong with it either, its the american way to try new things, new ideas, rebellious, different, and not following the trend. same with music/clothing and many things.

nViATi
06-05-2005, 06:12 PM
cars is a much different story. the dealer, condition, price, milage, gas usage, convenience all plays a role. but for tennis racquet, i see this guy using an estusa, imo its one of the most ugly racquet around, ugly shape, color and i dont see how he can pick that racquet over all the other racquets around.
the same guy could see your babolat as ugly with an ugly shape and ugly color.

everybody is different. all you are trying to do is justify your illogical assumption.
stop trying to get attention and use your brain.

Michelangelo
06-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Actually I'm pretty interested in how the Estusa Boris Becker ProVantech PB feels. By the way, is Estusa "dead" since I haven't seen any new racket from them?

Grimjack
06-05-2005, 06:32 PM
i see this guy using an estusa, imo its one of the most ugly racquet around, ugly shape, color and i dont see how he can pick that racquet over all the other racquets around. i mean, true, he got his attention... ppl who buys radical, or prostaff dont get noticed as much but those are imo solid racquets and with all the variations among them i doubt some racquet from estusa or power angle is better.

People don't use Estusas because they're pretty. They play with them because nothing else on the market feels or plays like them at all. Highly flexy, old-school player's feel, open pattern, great volleys, supply all your own power, brilliant slices, control out the wazoo. If you don't want (or need) any racquet assist on your serve or groundies, love a sweet, buttery feel, and like to play the net, the Estusas are hard to beat. And you sure as hell aren't going to get many of the same characteristics with a Radical. (One or two of the Pro Staffs at least meet SOME of the criteria, but not all.)

To people who play like this (and who thus demand performance, rather than aesthetics), what others find "ugly" is meaningless.

Ryoma Kun
06-05-2005, 06:33 PM
at first i wanted a racquet that looked good, so i demo'd all the good looking racquets, then i found one that played well, and it happened to be a slazenger probraided henman, which i have never seen anyone else in my area use it. Southern Orange County, CA

then i decided no one would be allowed to use the same racquet so i painted it and put my own stencil in it

Lakoste
06-05-2005, 07:36 PM
i see this guy using an estusa, imo its one of the most ugly racquet around, ugly shape, color

So you would never pick a racquet, even if it was a good racquet, that was ugly?

Also, would you still play with babolat if it was a smaller company like estusa?

LafayetteHitter
06-05-2005, 10:24 PM
Not very long ago Babolat was one of these lesser known companies. I personally do not care for the Babolat graphics on most of their racquets, it's just all personal likes and dislikes. I like the old school looking stuff most of the time.

GregOz
06-06-2005, 05:35 AM
People don't use Estusas because they're pretty. They play with them because nothing else on the market feels or plays like them at all. Highly flexy, old-school player's feel, open pattern, great volleys, supply all your own power, brilliant slices, control out the wazoo. If you don't want (or need) any racquet assist on your serve or groundies, love a sweet, buttery feel, and like to play the net, the Estusas are hard to beat. And you sure as hell aren't going to get many of the same characteristics with a Radical. (One or two of the Pro Staffs at least meet SOME of the criteria, but not all.)

To people who play like this (and who thus demand performance, rather than aesthetics), what others find "ugly" is meaningless.

I found exactly the opposite. Disliked the PB, disliked the Pumas. Felt that Wilson and Prince still had far better racquets than the PB which was ordinary in all respects. Now, that's just my opinion.

Grimjack obviously disagrees so the best thing to do is give it a try and see what you think. We've all got different tastes (actually I quite liked the look of the Estusa, just not the way it played) so see what yours is. The worst that happens is you get to experience the way racquets have evolved which will make you far more discerning when you playtest.

If you do demo the Estusa Id give it a few hits and then try out the Volkl t10mid v-engine. Think you'd find it an interesting comparison.

MChong
06-06-2005, 12:46 PM
cars is a much different story. the dealer, condition, price, milage, gas usage, convenience all plays a role. but for tennis racquet, i see this guy using an estusa, imo its one of the most ugly racquet around, ugly shape, color and i dont see how he can pick that racquet over all the other racquets around. i mean, true, he got his attention... ppl who buys radical, or prostaff dont get noticed as much but those are imo solid racquets and with all the variations among them i doubt some racquet from estusa or power angle is better.

You should really try an Estusa before you critique them in such a manner. All it receives are rave reviews; by the reviews, it seems like it'd be more of a classic stick with a very unique feel that people are looking for. And cars aren't actually that much of a different story if you think about it. Some people still by used Datsun 240Z's even though they have cars out now such at a Nissan 350Z. Why is that? Because people like them.

and i use babolat because with the specs im looking for, thats the most familar racquet around and it felt good and looked good. there are racquet from tecnifibre that are similar but y?

Bam, you answered your own question right there. They're using racquets that feel good to them. I'd also like to add Babolat used to be a very low profile company much like Slazenger, Estusa, etc. It just got lucky.

nothing wrong with it either, its the american way to try new things, new ideas, rebellious, different, and not following the trend. same with music/clothing and many things.

It seems you actually do know why people use different racquets, but it's not really in rebellion andjust not following the trend. Tennis is big on feel and that's what they do it for. Personally, I play a Diablo Mid - nothing special or out of the ordinary, just because it offered what I needed and felt pretty good. The company had no influence in my decision.

By the way, the Estusa head shape, looks a bit odd to me, but it still looks like a classy and fun racquet to hit around with on weekends maybe.