PDA

View Full Version : Signature Wins...

SlapShot
11-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Tonight, I had one of those wins that seems to reaffirm all of the hard work that I put in on the court and off of it. I'm currently a 4.0 that wins almost all of my 4.0 matches, but I haven't quite been able to put it together at the 4.5 level yet.

The knock on me as a player, and anyone who has hit with me would confirm this, is that I have big weapons, I know I have big weapons, and I am too eager to show them off, causing lots of stupid UE's. Tonight, I managed a steady 75% pace, and we came away with a solid win against a pair of solid 4.5 players. I hit with pace when I needed to, found angles when that was the right play, and served out of a couple of jams without hitting a miracle flat ace (okay, I hit a miracle flat ace once, but that was just because I had to try it ;)).

I love nights like tonight - I had a couple of these at 4.0 when I was playing up my first couple of seasons, and it's a huge confidence boost and an even bigger motivator knowing that I have that next step in me.

Anyone else know how I feel tonight?

li0scc0
11-02-2010, 04:11 AM
Well done! I know exactly how you are feeling right now. Kind of like it all 'came together', right?

dlk
11-02-2010, 05:52 AM
How 'bout a signature loss? I had one this weekend. Playing a 4.0 level player, I only lost 3 & 2. Now to most of you, this would be poor, but if you're hovering around 3.0-3.5, it is okay.
I felt really good about the match, as I played, probably the best I could play. I lost 4 or 5 games at deuce. So it's kind of weird, I actually feel good after a loss. I mean I was trading long hard-shot rallies with this guy (now, he won most of these points eventually). I did note my fitness took a toll, as after these long rallies, my serve got weaker & more inconsistent.

MNPlayer
11-02-2010, 06:11 AM
How 'bout a signature loss? I had one this weekend. Playing a 4.0 level player, I only lost 3 & 2. Now to most of you, this would be poor, but if you're hovering around 3.0-3.5, it is okay.
I felt really good about the match, as I played, probably the best I could play. I lost 4 or 5 games at deuce. So it's kind of weird, I actually feel good after a loss. I mean I was trading long hard-shot rallies with this guy (now, he won most of these points eventually). I did note my fitness took a toll, as after these long rallies, my serve got weaker & more inconsistent.

Haha, I've had a couple situations like that recently. Last match I lost at #1 singles in a 4.0 league match 6-4, 2-6, 0-1 (14-16) to a solid player that had previously beaten me 1 and 3 in a tournament. And then there is the double bagel I got from a 5.0 in an open tournament, but I definately played well, multiple game points and I could definately rally with the guy. These type of losses confirm you are getting better even as you lose :)

On the other hand, I lost a 4.0 tournament final badly that really I should have won, so it goes both ways :)

SlapShot
11-02-2010, 07:05 AM
Oh yeah, I've had multiple signature losses as well. Lost 3&2 to a 5.0 player in a tourney this summer, and had game points that I couldn't close out to make it closer. Lost 7-6, 6-4 to a good 4.5 singles player this summer as well. Both were great motivators for me. :)

And MNPlayer....I'm amazed that CG didn't get bumped to 4.5 yet. I don't think he lost a singles match last season. And he's been a 4.0 playing up for at least 2 seasons with decent success...

MNPlayer
11-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Oh yeah, I've had multiple signature losses as well. Lost 3&2 to a 5.0 player in a tourney this summer, and had game points that I couldn't close out to make it closer. Lost 7-6, 6-4 to a good 4.5 singles player this summer as well. Both were great motivators for me. :)

And MNPlayer....I'm amazed that CG didn't get bumped to 4.5 yet. I don't think he lost a singles match last season. And he's been a 4.0 playing up for at least 2 seasons with decent success...

Nice job on the 4.5 win. If your consistency keeps improving you'll get many more.

Yeah, CG is tough. It was a really fun match, especially the tie-break when we were both playing well. I think we each had 4 match points before he took it.

I'm thinking it would be fun to start playing 4.5 myself. I could use more doubles, playing almost all singles in tournaments.

Sherlock
11-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Do you really think CG is a 4.5 player? He is consistent but I'm not sure he could win many singles matches up there...but I guess you have to go based on his record.

Anyways, congrats SS. You can definitely jump up quickly by pulling back just a little bit and working points. Steady pressure until your opponents coughs up the short ball, and even then you just have to hit a solid shot not a super one. Just pull out the awesome shots now and then if you're feeling them to keep your opponent off balance.

I hope I can join you up at that level soon. My strokes are getting better, but why does it have to take so long to improve :(

SlapShot
11-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Do you really think CG is a 4.5 player? He is consistent but I'm not sure he could win many singles matches up there...but I guess you have to go based on his record.

Anyways, congrats SS. You can definitely jump up quickly by pulling back just a little bit and working points. Steady pressure until your opponents coughs up the short ball, and even then you just have to hit a solid shot not a super one. Just pull out the awesome shots now and then if you're feeling them to keep your opponent off balance.

I hope I can join you up at that level soon. My strokes are getting better, but why does it have to take so long to improve :(

I think that CG has really become a very good singles player in the last year - he lost something like 30 lbs and he's moving very well. He's probably in the same spot I am - in that limbo between 4.0 and 4.5.

Played again tonight with some 4.5 players and was doing the same thing as last night - consistent, force a short ball, finish the point. It feels nice to have reigned in some of my madness of late.

MNPlayer
11-03-2010, 09:16 AM

CG is hovering around the top of 4.0. I think getting to solid 4.5 (in singles anyway) is still a big step for him and me. We both have the same 1HB liability.

Nellie
11-03-2010, 09:38 AM
I like that you got a win from playing smart. I have had some good wins from playing out of my mind (hitting only winners), only to realize that I was mostly lucky for a short time and could not sustain the effort.

andfor
11-03-2010, 10:20 AM
I have some wins I'll never forget. But, I lost a match to an NCAA D1 doubles champ in the same year 0-1. He had a 135 mph serve easy. Had multiple game points but only could get the 1 game. Most proud of that one though. Also lost a 5.0 match 0-1 and it took 2 1/2 hours, oh the pain....... :-) Looking back I could have made it much faster with the same result!

Totai
11-03-2010, 10:52 AM
I am a 2.0 and on a night like yours I can almost play as well as a 2.5, its great!

jakemcclain32
11-05-2010, 10:15 PM
I am a 3.0 and heading to 3.5 anytime now. Had a signature loss that helped me out.

I was 1-1 in my league at the time, and was playing the #1 guy in the division, and at the time, third in the whole league. He had this crazy kick serve, and a lot of topspin on his shots. Now in my past, those kind of players killed me. I think, before that, the best I ever did was lose 2 and 2.

So I play this guy and lose 6-4 7-6, but in the match, I went down 4-1 and came back to tie him before he took the set. In the second set, I went up 4-0, he came back and tied me, I went up 5-4 and he ties. We do this till it's 6-6 and a tiebreaker. I go down 5-0 in the tiebreaker, take a 6-5 lead, and he ends up winning 8-6 in the tiebreaker.

After that, he told me if we went to a third set, he would've retired, haha. Funny thing was that I could've played three more sets easily. Staying in shape does help matters.

I told the story to a good buddy of mine the same night and he told me that this match would give me the confidence the rest of the season. He was right.....I haven't lost since, and playoff time is coming.

Sometimes the losses can motivate you as well as the wins, depending on the situation.

dlk
11-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Another signature loss today. Played outside ~58 & slight gusts at times. In a prior post, I mentioned that I lost to a 4.0 3 & 2. Well, I played a guy today that beat the 'other guy' 2 & 3. Today lost 4 & 1.

I know not to get wrapped-up in game counts, but I mean it felt good. Everything was working, he was sweating & gasping big-time. His serve was just too strong. We only made it to deuce on two of his serves, while it happened nearly everytime I served. But in the end, I played so well, I impressed myself. I believe there is such a thing as playing up to the compettion, & he was probably playing down some:-?