PDA

View Full Version : Laserfibre single action or Double action? Help....

5.0 TopDog
04-20-2004, 06:56 AM
Im planning to purchase MS200TT but can't decide double or single action..Money is not the subject..I just need help on the ease of use since I have never used any type of stringing machine before..Any suggestion on the pro and con? :roll:

christian
04-20-2004, 01:09 PM
Single action clamps is the way to go if money is not an issue. Even if it were you would end up switching to them in the long run. Single action clamps are much more easier, faster and more consistent because there is little to no slippage.

brtennis
04-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, it seems that single action clamp is an old design. I don't exactly know why but most new and high-end machines come with two-action clamp.

Loud
04-21-2004, 03:03 AM
I would much rather use one movement to lock in a clamp than two.

CheapStrings
04-21-2004, 03:47 PM
FYI, Tim Sullivan says the SA's have fewer mechanical parts, will need less maintenance in the long run, and you can't forget to lock the clamps thereby losing tension on your whole string job.

topspin
04-21-2004, 04:53 PM
I tried both and loved the single actions much more than the duals. Old design? I'm not so sure, all I know is they work really nice and smooth and I dont' have to worry about locking the base or having to adjust the clamp base everytime like you have to do with the duals. The only instance where I would recommend the duals is if you're already used to that system having strung on other machines. If you're a first time stringer, I'd suggest the singles.

Eug
04-21-2004, 07:03 PM
I think your wrong in your comment Christian that DA clamps have more slippage. DA clamps slip LESS becase the base itself gets locked and then the strings get clamped so u have more "clampage". Many stringers told me this.

prince
04-22-2004, 06:32 PM
i got the single action clamps .
first time stringer .

Loud
04-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Bravo...good choice!

Jerry Seinfeld
04-23-2004, 07:21 AM
For first-time stringers, single action is the way to go...imo

JRW
04-23-2004, 03:57 PM
I strung on a Star 3(double action) for years before buying my LF. Of course I was initially tempted to go the DA route with the LF, but after weighing the pros and cons I decided to get the SA clamps and haven't regretted it.

passerofgasses
04-23-2004, 10:54 PM
I've got double action cheap clamps and I need to be careful when I push the clamp towards the tensioner before tightening the base clamp. It gets worse because depending on which direction the base clamp is facing, it tends to give varying amounts. An interesting thing is when I started I clamped the bottom really wrong and I created negative give even (ie. I can pull with my clamp and it increases tension). Not good. However, I think I'm pretty consistent now. At least that's what my stringmeter tells me...

I would definitely consider sliding single actioned clamps for my next machine. I figure consistent give is better than less give at varying amounts. What I can't figure out is how those bar contraptions slide about easily while the clamp is put in place. I guess I'll have to see one up close eventually. The net needs more videos of stringers in action.

bcaz
04-23-2004, 11:38 PM
I have a LF MS200TT. Here's a vote for DA clamps. they are very easy to use and add little time to a string job. At one time, the cost difference was much less than it is now. Tim S. at LaserFibre told me one advantage of the dual action setup is that the slide bars are less sensitive to debris, dirt, etc. That's not to say you should ignore keeping your machine clean, but merely that the SA clamp slide bars must be kept scrupulously clean or they just won't work well. If you're waxing nat gut mains this can be a factor.

Eug
04-24-2004, 05:27 AM
Yah, Bcaz is right. I completely forgot about that point. The single action dudes have to clean non stop to prevent slippage on their rails. By the way, what do you use to clean ur machine whether its single or double action. I clean my machine with alcohol pads ever 3 to 4 string jobs. I clean the clamps, the tensioner, and sometimes the rails with alcohol. I then wipe the rails down with a clean soft cloth to get rid of that residue the alcohol leaves.

Pro_Tour_630
04-24-2004, 12:19 PM
I have tried both LF clamps and like the DA better, with 18X20 mid patterns the top cross can be difficult to clamp with Single, the single seems sturdier, faster, easier but the DA is a bit more accurate IMO

topspin
04-24-2004, 04:01 PM
The single action rails need to kept clean, so you just clean them with isopropyl or windex every few stringjobs. If you was natural gut, just be careful not to get wax on the rails, maybe cover them with a paper towel. But the gut should only be lightly waxed and not so much that wax is falling on the machine. If you do get the SA glide rails dirty with lubricants, the clamps will not lock in and might slide. I've never had this problem. If it does happen, the rails can be easily taken apart and cleaned properly.

I tried both SA and DA, and preferred the SA by a long shot. I got less drawback and with the DA, I was forgetting to lock the base. Just seemed like a lot more work. I just love how smooth my SA are and how easy they are to use.

brtennis
04-24-2004, 05:33 PM
Just about everyone cited the faster speed being the advantage of SA clamps. I'm not so sure. Out of a typical 30 min string job, how much time totally one spends on locking the base of DA clamp, one minutes(you do lock and unlock 35 times for a 16x19 pattern)? For some machines that come with spring-assisted clamp base, the time should be even less since it takes only one-eighth of a turn to lock the base.

For SA clamp, how much time does it take to switch the glide bar from M to X?

Eug
04-24-2004, 06:29 PM
Excellent point talktennis, I need more supporters of DA clamps here! Single action clamps have been correlated with higher rates of herpes cases!

Eug...lol

topspin
04-24-2004, 06:49 PM
I wouldn't say one clamping system is faster or slower, I think speed is more a factor of technique than anything else. Both systems are out there because as we can see, we all have our preferences. The best you can do is try both systems like I did and decide on one. What really bugged me about the DA was that the adjusting screw always had to be adjusted and they didn't move nearly as smoothly as the SA. Lubricating the glide rails on the DA did help, but I didn't like it when I forgot to lock the base and it bothered me to know that I would always have to check for that. But if you're used to it, you shouldn't forget.

JRW
04-24-2004, 07:23 PM
"For SA clamp, how much time does it take to switch the glide bar from M to X?"

Unlike the SA clamps on the Neos 1000, you don't have to switch the glide bar on the LF machines to do the X's because their SA clamps swivel.