PDA

View Full Version : Kick Serve?

JLoescher1
06-05-2005, 05:58 PM
I need to be able to hit an effective kick serve because my second serve is being ripped apart by better players. I need a second serve that can beat back the big guys. If anyone has instructions/tips for hitting one please tell me.

Marius_Hancu
06-06-2005, 06:57 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=34083

Sir
06-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Thanks for that link.
I have a secondairy question about the kick serve though.

Is it more consistant that a flat first serve?
Every one is talking about a second serve this and second serve that but why cant it just be a fast full force flat serve.
The general opinion is that the second serve needs to be slower and with more spin, but if you have a resonable consistancy in the first serve then why not go for a similar second serve?

Andres
06-06-2005, 04:03 PM
If you can hit a fullforced flat first serve with 90% consistency, then use it as a second serve.
Ppl tend to hit a kicker and spin secodn serve to avoid double-faulting, and it's more consistent.

It's ok if you're 1st serve% is around 50% or 60%, but you have to be backed up with an 85% or 90% second.

TennsDog
06-06-2005, 06:02 PM
A good server will have a 60% first serve that can be used as a weapon and a 90% second serve that puts them in neutral position at least. If you do the math, that equates to .6+.9*.4 = .96 serving => 4 double faults in 100 service points. Two fast flat serves will not give such results.

lefty_01
06-07-2005, 04:48 PM
There was a really good article in Tennis Mag (Rip it kick it).....

A few things that helped me.....
1. Try standing facing the net on the baseline and use only your arms to serve (i.e. no leg movement)....this basically helps you get the rotation right.
2. Try serving 2-3 feet behind the baseline (this will force you to hit up)
3. Make sure you excercise your back as kick serve requires a lot of trunk power....