PDA

View Full Version : advice on installing bumper guard

Bruce W.
06-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Hello,

I'm having a hard time installing the bumper guard on a Wilson Hyper Hammer 5.3 (yes, I bought the correct replacement part!). Starting from one side, the first half of the guard goes on well, but the second half won't go on well enough. Suggetions please!

Belafonte
06-05-2005, 09:58 PM
use a heat gun to make it easier

Baseline Basher
06-05-2005, 10:33 PM
I bought racquets from a friend, but one of the bumper guards is chipped- a section about half the size of a quarter, on half of the bumper guard (on one side of the strings, but it's fine on the other side.) When I get the racquet restrung, do I just ask my stringer to put a new one on, or do I need to do it myself.

Bent
06-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Start in the middle and work from there. And use a heat gun or a hair dryer. And an awl or a screw driver. And add some patience and muscle ;-)

tedmeister
06-06-2005, 01:26 AM
Start in the middle and work from there. And use a heat gun or a hair dryer. And an awl or a screw driver. And add some patience and muscle ;-)
Not just some, but a lot of patience. Never force the grommets in as there's a chance they would get flared. Work symmetrically from the middle just like Bent says, one grommet at a time coaxing it in with an awl while gently rolling it on. Some go in easy, some would be a pain, the 5.3 should be moderate on the difficulty charts.

Gaines Hillix
06-06-2005, 04:16 AM
I bought racquets from a friend, but one of the bumper guards is chipped- a section about half the size of a quarter, on half of the bumper guard (on one side of the strings, but it's fine on the other side.) When I get the racquet restrung, do I just ask my stringer to put a new one on, or do I need to do it myself.

Your stringer should be able to do it for you, but you can also do it yourself assuming you can find the replace set. Some are a little difficult to install, so you need a heat source(a good hair dryer will work) plus an awl to help guide the grommet tubes into the holes in the frame.