PDA

View Full Version : Fake Drop Shot ---> Drive FH

raftermania
06-05-2005, 07:15 PM
Anybody catch that SICK drop shot fake-out that Puerta pulled successfully on Nadal??? I dislocated my jaw it was so amazingly amazing. Has anyone tried this shot before? Has anyone seen this shot done before on tour?

I heard that Puerta was a conventional, run of the mill, boring clay-courter. Then I asked myself, I just saw this guy:

1)Dive for two shots (making one the first one for a winner)
2)Hit out on EVERYTHING, talk about Power Game! (not the TW user)
3)Robbed Rafa with that fake drop shot!

... and realized this southpaw is a superstar.

The final set was decided on just one or two points, if he could have pulled a final set I think he could have had enough momentum for a big upset! Too bad. But, at least I have a shot to experiment with on the practice courts. :mrgreen:

zorg
06-05-2005, 07:20 PM
I don't think that many yound players really can react quickly to a drop shot. This only works when they react super fast, then you switch quickly to the drive.. To tell you the trith, drop shots can be hidden pretty well, so they might already think that it is a drive. Only people that play on clay a lot know really what the drop shot looks like, and to react to it very quickly.

TwistServe
06-05-2005, 07:47 PM
Puerta's fake dropshot was cool but it was not a Fakedrop -> drive forehand..

it was more like Fakedrop -> push forehand..

The only thing Puerta relied on was his placement. There was absolutely no power in that forehand and there was very little spin.

tykrum
06-05-2005, 09:38 PM
I don't care how hard he it, that was sweetness. You don't see that kind of crazy creativity on the tennis court too often. Of course it only works on clay against someone totally expecting the dropper, which makes it even more cool because in the rare circumstance, how do you come up with something like that? I won't ever be able to try it, because the only time I ever drop shot is when I mis-hit my volleys.

nswelshman
06-05-2005, 10:00 PM
JCF does something similar- but usually not into a drive forehand. He sets up his racquet like a drop shot, making sure the opponent sees this and starts to run in to take it- then JCF hits a deep slice forehand behind his opponent

BreakPoint
06-06-2005, 12:21 AM
I've done this quite often. It's really just the opposite of faking a drive and hitting a drop shot instead. Just reverse it by making it look like you're going to drop shot and push it deep instead. Works best when you get a short ball close to net. Hold your shot till the last second, if it looks like your opponent is staying on the baseline, hit a drop shot, but if it looks like he's anticipating a drop shot and moving into the net, push it deep past him instead.

Superior_Forehand
06-06-2005, 07:29 AM
That was an amazing shot. I was jumping around in my living room after that one, (yes, I can get a little too serious about pro tennis). I actually thought it was cool that he relied on pure placement for that shot because he didnt need to hit it with power. He recognized the opportunity, made a decision, and executed perfectly.

CrazyScheiner
06-06-2005, 10:44 AM
Wow, I should try that in a few games.

eLterrible
06-06-2005, 02:17 PM
What game/set was that shot in, i have it on tivo but don't remember much except the last set and those two dives.

Andres
06-06-2005, 02:52 PM
I've done this quite often. It's really just the opposite of faking a drive and hitting a drop shot instead. Just reverse it by making it look like you're going to drop shot and push it deep instead. Works best when you get a short ball close to net. Hold your shot till the last second, if it looks like your opponent is staying on the baseline, hit a drop shot, but if it looks like he's anticipating a drop shot and moving into the net, push it deep past him instead.

No, he faked a drive, then faked a dropshot, and finally hitted the forehand.
I remember Coria doing this to Nalbandian in 2003... don't remember which tournament...

safin_protege
06-06-2005, 04:32 PM
The shot was pretty wicked, but I would think that it would be best, if not only, for clay. He relied on the bounce of the ball and Nadal's poor footing to execute the shot. I don't think the shot would be nearly as succesful or useful on hard courts or grass.

TennsDog
06-06-2005, 05:56 PM
That is one of Puerta's best aspects, his ability to quickly and effectively change grips during the backswing. I have never seen anybody to it as much and as well as he did that match.

Andres
06-09-2005, 07:55 AM
Does anyone have a video of Mariano's shot?

SageOfDeath
06-18-2005, 11:22 AM
I don't think that many yound players really can react quickly to a drop shot. This only works when they react super fast, then you switch quickly to the drive.. To tell you the trith, drop shots can be hidden pretty well, so they might already think that it is a drive. Only people that play on clay a lot know really what the drop shot looks like, and to react to it very quickly.

that's very true at lower levels but even then you can abuse your drop shots keep on just hitting them, then when they look and expect a drop shot you "push" the ball past them :)

VamosStitchy626
06-18-2005, 04:51 PM
I am goin to try this, caus I use dropshots alot, so if I mix it up with this once in a while, well, it could work couldnt it?

Andres
06-21-2005, 09:25 AM
Does anyone have a video of Mariano's shot?

theace21
06-21-2005, 11:09 AM
I always love watching the juniors who spend their time on the practice court hitting these trick shots. Fundamentals - The Basics - they win - trick shots when they work get the "did you see that" - winning impresses people in the long run...

Andres
12-08-2005, 02:00 PM
For the third time (maybe the answer is simply no... :p)
Does anyone have a video of this shot?

raftermania
12-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Hi Andres, thanks for being patient! I think I might have made a video clip of it, send me an e-mail.