PDA

View Full Version : Self-rate Issues

tennis_tater
11-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Seems like self-rating has been a major issue fostering the sandbagging phenomenon. With that being said, does anyone else think that the USTA's policy of having ratings "expire" after three years for players below age of 60 and two years for players above the age of 60 and requiring that those players self-rate a new rating after their prior rating has been removed and re-set at 0.0 will contribute to additional self-rating abuse?

SJS
11-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Two changes for 2011 may help keep players from sitting out then re-rating. They will have to start at their old rating and a committee will have to review any appeals. I'm not sure who granted self-rated appeals previously but I think it was the Section League Coordinator.
From the 2011 Regulations:
4. Each Section Association shall designate a committee to handle Self-Rate Appeals for those that appeal their assigned self-rating.

TennisLink will automatically remove expired computer and self,
ratings thereby allowing individuals to self rate. Players with expired
ratings will not be allowed to self-rate at a lower level than their last
published NTRP rating. However, they will have the opportunity to file
a self-rate appeal.

tennis_tater
11-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Two changes for 2011 may help keep players from sitting out then re-rating. They will have to start at their old rating and a committee will have to review any appeals. I'm not sure who granted self-rated appeals previously but I think it was the Section League Coordinator.
From the 2011 Regulations:
4. Each Section Association shall designate a committee to handle Self-Rate Appeals for those that appeal their assigned self-rating.

TennisLink will automatically remove expired computer and self,
ratings thereby allowing individuals to self rate. Players with expired
ratings will not be allowed to self-rate at a lower level than their last
published NTRP rating. However, they will have the opportunity to file
a self-rate appeal.

I had not even looked at the new regulations for 2011. Well, that change looks like it will take care of a potential loophole for a sandbagger. Thanks for the information!

JLyon
11-04-2010, 06:32 PM
There needs to be some changes in the guidelines for experienced players, as it is currently a walk-on is considered the same as an All-American for rating purposes if they went to the same school, of course everything still relies on the player to be truthful on the self-rate form and make the opposing captains the NARCs for the liars.