PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Metal instinct nightmare.

Tennis79
06-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Hey, I buaght a Head LM instinct at a store ...anywhoo today i got it strung but am going to pick it up at a tommorow. I got it strung at a different place then where i purchased anywhoo the sales lady said that she loves head racquets but said that this one(Head LM instict) doesnt last long and will cave in. I dont' know what shes talking about. anywhoo. she said i would be happy with it for 3 months???. she also said that she has nothing nice to say about that racquet. (she was kinda rude) im kinda scared that i left my racquet with her. but i just wanted to get my racket strung and out of there. and i heard good things about her store.

i was wondering how long any of youhave been using it? and if you gusy and gals experienced what shes talking about. i think its crap and just depends on the user and maybe the string tension. ok thanks.

shes stringing it at 57lbs

ffrpg
06-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Umm... I've never heard any problems about it caving in. A friend of mine that I string for plays with the LM Instinct. He's had it for almost a year now and it's still in good shape.

BreakPoint
06-05-2005, 11:31 PM
What does "anywhoo" mean? Is this a word in the English dictionary?

BTW, I have heard of LM Instincts cracking easily. Just do a search on this board. Sorry about that.

AndrewD
06-06-2005, 12:42 AM
Quite a number of the juniors I hit with at our club use the LM Instinct and Ive never heard one complaint about it caving in. Given that most of them bought the racquet before the price drop Im pretty sure their parents would be very vocal if it was so easily damaged.

Regardless, if you have it strung by someone reputable and within the tension range then you've got nothing to worry about. The racquet does have a warranty to cover those sort of things so just use it and enjoy it.

BreakPoint,
The actual spelling of the word is 'anyhoo' . Im surprised you haven't heard of it as it is an Americanism and just your version of the British 'anyhow' or 'anyroad'. Usually used in less formal speech and is one of those words that expresses an emotion as well as linking a sentence.

tedmeister
06-06-2005, 02:10 AM
lady said that she loves head racquets but said that this one(Head LM instict) doesnt last long and will cave in. I dont' know what shes talking about. anywhoo. she said i would be happy with it for 3 months???. she also said that she has nothing nice to say about that racquet. (she was kinda rude) im kinda scared that i left my racquet with her.
I've taken in quite a few instincts for warranty repair but most of them, I would attribute to faulty stringing techniques or just plain racquet abuse. How else could one lady break two of them in just about the same place within a span of three months? It's a pretty strong frame, just don't tempt it. I was wondering why she has nothing good to say about the instinct. Does she play tennis at all? How unimaginative of her. Any racquet that gets into our shop, I could at least say 1 good thing about it.

Make sure that they string it up 2 piece or atw. Check if they have a certified stringer doing the stringing for them.

GregOz
06-06-2005, 04:15 AM
Never seen a problem with the Head LM Instinct and its a frame Ive been happy to recommend to players of all levels. Sometimes you get a bad batch but thats about the only thing I can think of. For an assistant to say you'll only be happy with it for 3 months is a pretty ridiculous statement. In all my years of coaching and working in proshops the only frame Ive ever cautioned players about was the Prince More Precision which did seem to have a well documented flaw. Still, I cautioned but didn't say it was rubbish. Otherwise I can't think of one racquet Ive said was that bad. Sure, there have been ones I haven't thought a lot of, felt were overpriced or were just cheap sticks but none that I said was out and out rotten.

Fuzzless
06-06-2005, 04:17 AM
i think i read somewhere that head will only replace racquets that are strung within the recommended tension range and 2 piece with the crosses starting at the head. i don't know if they count around the world methods.

AndyC
06-06-2005, 06:01 AM
Have two of them. One did develop a crack (after I hit it on the net in anger) at the join of the LM with the graphite round about the 7pm position but Head replaced it 9 months ago and no problems now. The other racket is over a year old and also no problems at all. Gave them both to my brother 6 months ago who has used them 3-4 times a week so I wouldn't say they will only last 3 months.

nViATi
06-06-2005, 06:16 AM
maybe she was trying to make you buy the more expensive prestige? lol

krnboijunsung
06-06-2005, 10:36 AM
maybe she was trying to make you buy the more expensive prestige? lol

she probably was....you know how greedy old women get.

Tennis79
06-06-2005, 12:18 PM
yeah. im pretty sure she just wanted more money. but it was just a horrible experience and she was one of the owners of the store and they had a demo of the racket and were selling them. and that annoyed me because if she and the other worker there were so negative to using the LM instinct then why would they sell it????? the worst part is they have a great reputation in san diego.

wfudeac
06-06-2005, 12:25 PM
My Instinct got cracked after a year, right on the yoke on the left side, where the head meets the throat...I took it to my local tennis shop, the guy is a Head dealer, and he shipped it off for me. I'm supposed to get it back this week, they didn't ask me any questions about how it was strung, tension, etc. Maybe they called him to ask, but as far as I know they agreed to replace it with no questions asked. Maybe it would have been differnent if there was a huge crack on the side, like I would have McEnroed it or something.