PDA

View Full Version : Help! Prince CTS DB 26 Mid user needs new frame suggestions

lkdog
06-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Long time player in 4-4.5 range that has been only playing sporadically the last 3-4 years.
A little history. Had tennis elbow pretty serious about four years ago after switching to a Head Radical OS. The Head was partly to blame, but so was my backhand and serve. Elbow is fine now. Strokes are better technically, but I am rusty and want to get serious again this summer.

Went back to my previous old frame-the Prince CTS DB26 midsize.
This racquet is heavier than the Head Radical, more flexible, and probably a bit more head light balance.
The Prince DB26 was probably a tweener racquet-not a player's racquet, but not a beginners racquet. (I had previously used a Prince Lightning for years before that).

Anyway, I have a pretty fast looping FH and backhand swing hit with moderate to sometimes heavy topspin, use a lot of spin on my serve, and am pretty much a power baseliner, but will come to the net when I get the opportunity.

Looking for new frame suggestions. I like the DB26 weight (12+ oz strung with some lead tape at 3/9 o'clock). I am pretty strong and have no trouble swinging this heavy of a racquet. I just don't have the pure strokes to use a true "player's" racquet.

I have a friend who switches frames a lot. He was using Pro Kennex 5g. This had no power to me.
He is now using a Prince RED O3 midplus. This is too light for me.

I like being able to block back hard serves and both of these racquets seem too light or do not have enough pop.

Anyway-any suggestions?

Basics are (I think)

Heavier frame 11-11.5 oz unstrung
medium power
good spin
head light (for my elbow safety)
Tweener type frame

Thanks for any ideas.

I am wondering about some of the Babolat frames. Tried the Pure Drive Team standard a couple months ago. Not bad. A little light, but OK.

Gaines Hillix
06-06-2005, 05:18 AM
Long time player in 4-4.5 range that has been only playing sporadically the last 3-4 years.
A little history. Had tennis elbow pretty serious about four years ago after switching to a Head Radical OS. The Head was partly to blame, but so was my backhand and serve. Elbow is fine now. Strokes are better technically, but I am rusty and want to get serious again this summer.

Went back to my previous old frame-the Prince CTS DB26 midsize.
This racquet is heavier than the Head Radical, more flexible, and probably a bit more head light balance.
The Prince DB26 was probably a tweener racquet-not a player's racquet, but not a beginners racquet. (I had previously used a Prince Lightning for years before that).

Anyway, I have a pretty fast looping FH and backhand swing hit with moderate to sometimes heavy topspin, use a lot of spin on my serve, and am pretty much a power baseliner, but will come to the net when I get the opportunity.

Looking for new frame suggestions. I like the DB26 weight (12+ oz strung with some lead tape at 3/9 o'clock). I am pretty strong and have no trouble swinging this heavy of a racquet. I just don't have the pure strokes to use a true "player's" racquet.

I have a friend who switches frames a lot. He was using Pro Kennex 5g. This had no power to me.
He is now using a Prince RED O3 midplus. This is too light for me.

I like being able to block back hard serves and both of these racquets seem too light or do not have enough pop.

Anyway-any suggestions?

Basics are (I think)

Heavier frame 11-11.5 oz unstrung
medium power
good spin
head light (for my elbow safety)
Tweener type frame

Thanks for any ideas.

I am wondering about some of the Babolat frames. Tried the Pure Drive Team standard a couple months ago. Not bad. A little light, but OK.

A couple I would recommend to demo are the Prince O3 Tour and PK Laver Type S and PK 7G.

lkdog
06-06-2005, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.
I am working out at my club this am and will see if they have the Prince O3 Tour.
I was wondering about the PK 7G also since the 5G did not have enough pop, but I liked the weight and balance.

By the way, was just down in Cartersville visiting in laws.
Pretty area down there.

AndrewD
06-06-2005, 07:20 PM
lkdog,

Have you considered the Prince TT Warrior?

Lighter than you prefer at 11.3 ounces although that can be easily fixed with some lead tape. Otherwise it pretty much matches what you've written. Medium power, excellent spin - slice and top (read the TW review)- and head light. Good from the back of the court as well as at net and one serve. Probably a bit stiffer than your old frame but otherwise its not a bad fit and a good price ($70 through TW).

You might also like to check out the Prince More Control DB midplus. Similar to the Warrior (personally prefer the Warrior) but might be better suited to a predominantly backcourt player.

Id say you'll find the 03 Tour just too head light. It really needs a good injection of lead tape to bring it up to a good balance. When it is properly weighted it is a lovely frame to hit with, however, Im not so sure that its playability really exceeds the Warrior or the More Control DB

jack mckinney
06-06-2005, 08:05 PM
you might want to try the prince air db. it plays a lot like your old racquet.

lkdog
06-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.
The demos at the club are kind of limited I have discovered.
Will try another club or the TW demo program maybe.

My pro suggested a Babolat AeroPro Control Plus as a possibility.
He thought my racquet was a beast. It kind of is as after stringing and lead tape and two overwrap grips it weighs in at 12+ oz.