PDA

View Full Version : Looking for racquet for athletic 28 year-old petite female novice: Shark OS, PD OS?

monologuist
06-05-2005, 08:36 PM
I'm looking for a racquet for my girlfriend who is a novice, is fairly small (about 5'2", 115 lbs), but is decently coordinated, quick, and above average strength for her size. I want her to be able to enjoy the game and not get too frustrated, so it would have to be an OS, not too demanding weight wise, and powerful enough to give her some help with pace, but enough control that it won't hold her back if she progresses quickly....also want it to be as spin friendly as possible and comfortable...last thing I want is for her to get tennis elbow.

Some racquets that popped up as possibilities are :
Prince Shark OS
Babolat Pure Drive OS
PRince Air DB OS
Prince Thundercloud
Prince Beast OS
Prince Outlaw OS
Prince Scream OS
Head Liquidmetal 5 and 8
Dunlop 800g ICE
Yonex V-Con 17 OS
Yonex V-Con 20 OS

Anybody have any opinions on whether any of the above would fit these criteria (or definitely NOT fit them)?
The Shark OS and PD OS and Thundercloud all look like promising (and I know that they are very high quality racquets), although I wonder if they might even be too demanding?....

kv581
06-05-2005, 08:54 PM
Maybe add TT Hornet OS tungsten to your list?

counterpuncher
06-05-2005, 09:35 PM
The three main OS racquets that I have seen used in my various mixed doubles comps and that their users have been bery happy with are the Wilson H6, Yonex V-con 17 and Volkl V1.

AndrewD
06-06-2005, 01:15 AM
monologuist,
my girlfriend is also a beginner so Ive been through the choosing a racquet for her routine and Id say the first question to ask is 'how serious is she about tennis?' If she's like my girlfriend the answer is 'not really, its just a bit of exercise and fun'. In that case, let her pick her own racquet. I think choosing her own racquet not only gave my girlfriend a bit of a kick but also made her feel a lot more connected to the sport. She ended up choosing a Volkl t10mp GenII which wouldnt have been my pick but she loves it, its very comfortable on her arm, swings nicely and gives her enough power (I keep it strung loosely enough for her to get power without requiring a stiffer frame which could cause some problems). She's progressing quite nicely and I think part of the progress stems from her enjoying that buzz you get when you select something for yourself.

Not recommending the Volkl, it was just her particular example.

As to the others on your list, Ive always thought Prince did an excellent line in beginner and low-intermediate frames. Dont like their advanced stuff but think they do good work for the beginner. Although she didn't choose it she did like the Prince TT Scream OS and didn't mind the Turbo Beast although she felt the Beast wasnt as comfortable as the Scream .

allcourter
07-12-2005, 10:08 AM
My daughter is using Prince ThunderCloud OS currently. And last weekend she got in the ZAT consolation final round w/out her ThunderCloud because she broke it when the racquet slipped out of her hand during serving. Overall, the racquet is a good racquet for her. It is easy on the arm and provides decent amount of power with control but above all it is very easy to generate spin for a more control game. I would highly recommended this racquet to beg and intermediate players....

By the way, I am looking for a used Prince ThunderCloud OS with Grip 1 or 4 1/8 or 4 1/4 as a back-up for my daughter also. Anyone got one not in use??
Email me: mtn3415@yahoo.com ...........thanks!

jaap deboeck
07-12-2005, 12:34 PM
She can with proper technique and interest and a caring teacher get to 4.0 with any of them!! Really! That expensive V Con 17 OS is one of the best sticks ever made fo real plaers who don't swing like whirling dervishes. I usually detest longer sticks, but this Yonnie is a miracle. All sweetpot, huge spin, great maneuvering. It's all the stick she will ever need. A good thing abou the V-con 17 is the broad taper range -- thin 19mm in the throat while the others are very wide 26mm, 27mm there, which detracts from touch and manueverability. My advice if sheis serious is to avoid the hugely head heavy models that could prevent her developing proper mechanics. The Yonex 17 OS, not 20, is almost even balance, a good thing at this 10 oz weight! Other awesome inexpensive intermediate or even beginner transition sticks are the $90 Fischer Smash Ti or similar and twice the price Volkl V1 102 Classic or DNX, all almost evenly balanced. Those sub 10 ounce, head heavy, wide throat width designs are not your best choices and are slowly on the way out! Whatever you do, be sure the grip is not too big. I often see this with women who are novices. You can enlarge a grip with a thick overgrip if need be.

Redflea
07-13-2005, 08:31 AM
Monologuist:

My wife is about an exact match in size and characteristics, and she just chose the Prince O3 Red (105). She's very happy with it (had it about two weeks now, I think). Plenty of very controllable power, easy on the arm, good weight at 10.5. Very expensive, but worth looking at.

monologuist
07-13-2005, 10:53 AM
REdflea....thanks for the suggestion....the O3 red is a little too expensive for me, but if she decides to stick with the game of Tennis, I may encourage her to upgrade her frame eventually....for now, I picked up a TT Bandit OS for only 40$, and will probably add a ltitle lead to the handle to make it not head heavy...we'll see how that works out.

HOw does the O3 Red feel? I tried an O3 Tour and hated the feel...was way too dampened for my taste....also what is the swingweight and power level? THe Bandit is around 950,975...

Redflea
07-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Funny, but I haven't hit with it yet...

Don't remeber sw and power level (you can find that on the TW racquet pages). She can really move the ball with it...I've strung it with Tecnifibre X-1 Biphase 18 (she NEVER breaks strings) at the mid-point tension.

Kirko
07-13-2005, 04:43 PM
My sister is 5' 7" weighs 118 lbs. and uses the Babolat PD + 100 sq. inch frame. SHe loves it ! She's a 5.0 player lives in Atlanta. The extra 1/2 inch is a real "boost" . She hits with both hands on both sides.

eduardoj
07-13-2005, 04:58 PM
While we're at it, I've got a POG looking for an athletic 28 year-old petite female novice.. :)